Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Ceramic Pro 9H Paint Protection

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-15, 11:43 AM
voelkel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ceramic Pro 9H Paint Protection

Does anybody have a reasonable way to tell whether or not Ceramic Pro has actually been applied to a car? After paying a reasonable amount of money for the "install" on a brand new car, I haven't been able to tell, regardless of lighting, etc., whether or not my car actually had the work done or if it was just washed. It certainly doesn't appear to have the feel of a good polish (not that I'm saying it should), but I'm looking for anyone who has experience with this type of product.

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-22-15, 12:15 PM
jw669
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you're able to see it, it probably wasn't leveled off correctly. So clarity is a good thing.

A general good indicator of paint coatings are its hydrophobic properties. I say general because over time, contaminates will bond to the coating and reduce its sheeting/beading properties. However, while fresh, water should bead/sheet right off the surface.

A quick test would be to just get the surface wet.

If you're still not convinced, try to polish a very small spot in an inconspicuous area to see if it looks any different. You may find that there is a hazy transition between the area that you polished and the area that was untouched. If it polishes out clear, then there is probably no coating present.
Old 01-22-15, 01:37 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You cannot easily tell its presence. However, over the course of several months of having Opticoat 2.0 on both of my cars. I can tell its presence based on:
1. You will immediately see gloss and depth of the paint right after application. For Opticoat, you also see a very hard candy like gloss and depth.

2. Water will continue to bead/sheet for many many months provided that you wash it weekly or bi-weekly.

3. The car stays cleaner for longer than before because paint coating have anti-static property which helps self cleaning.

4. Bird bombs will not likely edge into the clear coat, it most likely will stain it. After you wash off the bird poop, you will usually see some stains. This stain will disappear over few wash cycle provided that it is exposed to the sun. From what I understand, the UV rays in sun actually breaks the stain down. I can confirm this is the case because my cars parked on the street 24/7 and constantly got attacked by stupid birds.

5. The paint is more resistant to minor marring from washing. My white Lexus IS literally have little to no imperfection after 6+ months so far.

Anyways, here is the picture:
8 year old Lexus IS350 2006 with Opticoat 2.0
Name:  IMG_2478_zps91f4a489.jpg
Views: 837
Size:  112.8 KB
Name:  IMG_2480_zps28a82c8a.jpg
Views: 810
Size:  71.7 KB

3 year old Lexus IS250 2012 with Opticoat 2.0 right after detailing with Chemical Guy EZ Creme + CarPro Reload on top

Last edited by FSportIS; 01-22-15 at 01:45 PM.
Old 01-22-15, 01:45 PM
voelkel
Driver School Candidate

jw669 and FSportIS,

Thanks so much for the information. Judging by the info you both provided, I'd say that this application was done very well. I didn't really have a good reason to doubt that the work was done (shop's got great recs), but given that this was my first big expenditure on my new car, I was just slightly nervous and very curious.
Old 01-22-15, 04:46 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Paint coatings will not feel the same as a traditional wax or sealant... a paint coating is not nearly as slick feeling to the touch.

The paint should have been polished prior to coating the vehicle, therefore there should be minimal (or no) swirls or defects visible. The coating should demonstrate a highly hydrophobic surface that is easy to clean and even easier to dry. With proper maintenance, this hydrophobic & glossy surface should look as good as it did when it left the detailer even after a few years.

-Zach
Old 01-22-15, 08:16 PM
PondScum
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jw669
A general good indicator of paint coatings are its hydrophobic properties. I say general because over time, contaminates will bond to the coating and reduce its sheeting/beading properties. However, while fresh, water should bead/sheet right off the surface.
^ This, at least for paint coatings known to have strong hydrophobic properties.

Hydrophobic means it hates water. Hydrophobic surfaces will create contact angles with water droplets in excess of 90 degrees, meaning the edge of the drop of water overhangs the surface (it bulges out over the point where the drop touches the paint). Just pour or spray some water on the surface. Large droplets should run right off on surfaces with just the slightest slope (trunk for example). You should be able to blow on the surface and move the droplets around, and cause small ones to coalesce into bigger ones, and then run off the surface. Check out YouTube for videos demonstrating the hydrophobic properties of coated surfaces.
Old 01-22-15, 08:53 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

I have to add that paint coating is not bullet proof.

You still need to decontaminate the paint one or two times a year using Iron X and/or claying. The hydrophobic property is usually fading slowly week after week when the iron, oil, tar, brake dust, tree sap, road grime, road film... start to form a thin layer on top of the coating which hinders its beading/sheeting ability. That is why weekly or bi-weekly wash is still recommended.

How I know? I wash IS250 once a week and the IS350 once a month while both have Opticoat on them. The one that often get washed have less contaminants (I recently iron x and clay both cars so I can tell) and hence bead/sheet water better. I try to wash them both weekly and/or bi-weekly now.
Old 01-28-15, 09:25 AM
PaPaHoFF
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who did your install? I got mine done at LI Detailers. Here is a cool video they did of the application on my car.

If you have any concerns they have an exclusive team of applicators in the country so I can ask if the shop that installed it on your car is certified.
Old 02-03-15, 08:35 AM
voelkel
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PaPaHoFF
Who did your install? I got mine done at LI Detailers. Here is a cool video they did of the application on my car.

LI Detailers - Lexus IS350 F-Sport Ceramic Pro Long Island Detail - YouTube

If you have any concerns they have an exclusive team of applicators in the country so I can ask if the shop that installed it on your car is certified.
Hey, if you wouldn't mind, I'd really appreciate it. I had Capitol Shine do the work.
Old 02-03-15, 08:46 AM
voelkel
Driver School Candidate

Here's a video I took after having the product applied. I'd be interested in hearing any opinions related to this topic!

Old 02-03-15, 10:10 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

@voelkel, based on your 9 seconds video, I see very good beading and sheeting property. I can't tell much more from the video so I would like you to do the following:
1. When you touch the paint, does it feel slick to you? Slick is preferred.
2. Use a bright LED light, point it directly onto the paint, and examine the shine/gloss at different angles, you can examine the condition of the paint and see if your detailer does a good or bad job in paint correction. What you don't want to see is: swirl, scratches, haziness, highspot, water spot, stain etc
3. Bring your car out to sunlight, and just walk around your car looking at it under various angles, do you see metallic flakes, gloss and depth in the paint? How does the paint look? Is it more hard candy look or mirror-gloss or combination of both or none?
4. Bring your car out to normal daytime lighting, do the same as (3).
5. Do not top off your current paint with any wax/sealant, and monitor how long this beading/sheeting property last. It should last many many months if it is coating provided that you wash your car weekly/biweekly to prevent heavy contamination build up.

Warning: If you have coating, do not polish your car with any abrasive polish because that will remove the coating. Generally, you should polish it once every 2 years and re-apply the coating provided that you maintain the paint in good condition.
Old 02-03-15, 02:55 PM
voelkel
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by FSportIS
@voelkel, based on your 9 seconds video, I see very good beading and sheeting property. I can't tell much more from the video so I would like you to do the following:
2. Use a bright LED light, point it directly onto the paint, and examine the shine/gloss at different angles, you can examine the condition of the paint and see if your detailer does a good or bad job in paint correction. What you don't want to see is: swirl, scratches, haziness, highspot, water spot, stain etc
3. Bring your car out to sunlight, and just walk around your car looking at it under various angles, do you see metallic flakes, gloss and depth in the paint? How does the paint look? Is it more hard candy look or mirror-gloss or combination of both or none?
5. Do not top off your current paint with any wax/sealant, and monitor how long this beading/sheeting property last. It should last many many months if it is coating provided that you wash your car weekly/biweekly to prevent heavy contamination build up.

Warning: If you have coating, do not polish your car with any abrasive polish because that will remove the coating. Generally, you should polish it once every 2 years and re-apply the coating provided that you maintain the paint in good condition.
I'll be getting back home tomorrow, so weather permitting, will have your answers in a couple of days!

By the way, given the nature of the coating, is there a specific brand of wash you use? I will have access to a steady source of water...

Thanks!!!

Last edited by voelkel; 02-03-15 at 03:56 PM.
Old 02-03-15, 03:34 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

I have tried various products including various car shampoos, rinseless wash, waterless wash... you name it, I have probably tried it. In my honest opinion, I'm Impressed the most with Carpro Reset because it doesn't leave anything behind that hide the coating beading/sheeting property. It cleans super well and rinse off easily. It is made to work with any car coating. I prefer 2 bucket wash more than rinseless or waterless wash. However, if you go with rinseless wash, I will recommend Optimum No Rinse (regular version with NO wax) together with a Lake Country Blue Wash Sponge.

Many of the car shampoos out there have polymers and gloss agent left behind, it can be good to make the car a bit shinny but it will layer and hide the coating or sealant/wax property temporarily. Many coatings have a very good dirt repellant property that makes your car cleaner for longer and it makes a difference for a daily driver. You can try this, use any regular wax (not sealant), wax a small section on your paint, and I will guarantee you that the section with wax will attract more dust than other places that you have coating on.
Old 02-06-15, 08:02 AM
voelkel
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by FSportIS

1. Yes – I wouldn’t go as far as to say that it’s so slick that if feels wet, but it feels different than the day I first picked the car up from the dealer; far more smooth and glossy than before.

2. None of what you pointed out was present.

3. Between the options you gave, I’d say it has the “hard candy look.”

4. A little harder to tell in the sunlight, but it still appears to be the same as in #3.

5. Got it. Thank you!
Old 02-06-15, 08:10 AM
voelkel
Driver School Candidate

Hey, I'm assuming that the Reload goes on after the EZ Creme? If this is the case, how long do you wait in between?

Quick Reply: Ceramic Pro 9H Paint Protection