Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Simoniz GlassCoat

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-15, 08:18 AM
peterk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Simoniz GlassCoat

My local dealer is currently hawking a paint protection product called Simoniz Glass Coat.. Anyone have any experience with or opinions about this product?
Old 02-02-15, 09:49 AM
Joe166
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your dealer is selling it there is a very high probability that it is primarily just another profit center.
Old 02-04-15, 03:56 PM
Greg@DI
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's always tough to say as I've never dealt with the product itself, but as mentioned above any dealer work is usually quick and done for quick profit. We've detailed some vehicles which got that protection package, whether it's simoniz or paintguard something or another, and the protection was gone after 2-3 months. Again, some of these products may be pretty good if applied properly, but you may be better off finding a reputable detailer or applying a coating such as 22PLE or CQuartz UK on your own.

Ivan @ DI
Old 02-05-15, 02:57 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by peterk
My local dealer is currently hawking a paint protection product called Simoniz Glass Coat.. Anyone have any experience with or opinions about this product?
Yeah my dealer offers it as well, its basically like opti-coat, except opti-coat is way better but similar idea.
Old 02-05-15, 04:47 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

As Ivan mentioned, these products may be ok when used properly, but unfortunately I have yet to come across a dealer applied paint protection that performed well... I assumed this is due to the poor detailers they have working for them who do not understand the necessary prep work.

I've worked on many vehicles that supposedly had the Simoniz Glass Coat applied (based on the sticker on the window and what the owner told me), but none of them looked nice, or shed water/dirt easily. All were corrected and coated with a premium product like CQuartz, Opti-Coat, or 22ple.

So long story short... I'd decline this from your dealer and seek a true professional in your area to apply a paint coating.

-Zach
Old 02-06-15, 04:24 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
As Ivan mentioned, these products may be ok when used properly, but unfortunately I have yet to come across a dealer applied paint protection that performed well... I assumed this is due to the poor detailers they have working for them who do not understand the necessary prep work.

I've worked on many vehicles that supposedly had the Simoniz Glass Coat applied (based on the sticker on the window and what the owner told me), but none of them looked nice, or shed water/dirt easily. All were corrected and coated with a premium product like CQuartz, Opti-Coat, or 22ple.

So long story short... I'd decline this from your dealer and seek a true professional in your area to apply a paint coating.

-Zach

I agree as many dealers have terrible detailers that I think don't have any idea as to what work is needed to get a car detailed.
Old 02-06-15, 09:14 PM
Greg@DI
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From what I've seen, dealers charge $600-800 on the low end and upwards of $1000-1200 for this (sometimes the interior is included) and they provide lifetime warranty. Product and labor cost for them to reapply is probably only $50 or less for the exterior, so if my math is correct and considering what they apply lasts only 3 months, you would have to go back at least 12 times, maybe 24+, for them to break even. Most people don't even know when it's gone and simply believe the protection is there. Those who know a bit more about will probably chalk it up to a lesson learned after going back 2-4 times and seek a quality detailer to apply a quality coating for $300-500 that will last 1-2+ years.

It's a profit maker for dealers, but again, not sure if the product is simply a sealant that lasts 3-6 months tops, or if they just apply it very poorly.

Ivan @ DI