Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Removing paint Overspray

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-15, 07:44 AM
sandy14
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Removing paint Overspray

My RX got attacked by a renegade grocery cart that left a scratch on the rear bumper. I got it repaired yesterday and the pairt match is perfect, can't even tell it was there. However there's a slight dusting of silver paint on the black piece just under the hatch.
It's barly noticeable but I'm a perfectionist and it bothers me.
Anyone know how to remove it safely?

Last edited by sandy14; 02-05-15 at 08:40 AM.
Old 02-05-15, 08:43 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by sandy14
My RX got attacked by a stray grocery cart that left a scratch on the rear bumper. I got it repaired yesterday and the pairt match is perfect, can't even tell it was there. However there's a slight dusting of silver paint on the black piece just under the hatch.
It's barly noticeable but I'm a perfectionist and it bothers me.
Anyone know how to remove it safely?
It is not your responsibility to take care of the paint shops mistake, they did not properly tape up and protect your car when they painted it. Take it back to where you got it painted at and have them remove it as soon as possible.

Are you sure it is paint overspray or could it be clearcoat? Clearcoat is the most popular overspray issue because normally it is not as heavy in spraying as paint and there is often a larger cloud of drier clearcoat that floats around more and goes everywhere when spraying.

You want to get it taken care of sooner then later because the longer the paint/clearcoat has to cure/outgas the more difficult it will be to remove. If you can't get the shop to take care of it use a heavy duty claybar, you may have to rub it on a little harder and go over it more which is going to mar the paint so you will have to do some polishing afterward. Try putting some rubbing alcohol on it and paint removing product like goofoff but a claybar is probably your best best. I would do this as soon as possible. At worst the overspray may need to be removed with a razor blade or sanded off and you will likely want a professional to do that.

Before you have parts of your car painted it is often a good idea to put a fresh coat of wax on the parts that are not going to get painted so overspray won't bond well to it.
Old 02-05-15, 09:13 AM
darylrsv4
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't deal with the hassle of bringing it back. Try a claybar or even better a nanoskin autoscrub and clay lube . Should take care of it.
Old 02-05-15, 09:41 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Agreed...

While it is certainly the fault of the shop who did the work, chances are they will make matters worse when they try to fix it. Few free to express your dissatisfaction, but I would attempt to remove it on your own with detailing clay as already mentioned.

A solvent may be able to remove it easily as well, but I would consult a professional body shop before using any old solvent on the fresh paint.

-Zach
Old 02-06-15, 07:14 AM
sandy14
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for all the advice. I did express my dissatisfaction to the shop that did the work but I was uncomfortable letting them remove the paint or what ever it is.
Just to be clear before I start this project it's not on metal is on a strip of rubber, vinyl, or plastic that's right under the rear door. A piece that looks like a place to step up like a running board.