Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Scratches on my car... What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-15, 05:36 PM
imnew09
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scratches on my car... What to do?

Hello everyone! It was all good last night until i saw it today at the public parking lot..... I dont think my insurance company will cover its a minor scrape

What should i do?!

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails Scratches on my car... What to do?-image.jpg  
Old 02-08-15, 06:14 PM
rgonza1
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kinda hard to see but it looks like whatever you hit or hit you penetrated the clear coat and paint down to the metal. Touch up paint might work to prevent rusting but it will be somewhat of an eye sore. Might need to get it repainted.
Old 02-08-15, 06:39 PM
steveo55
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you want it to be perfect take it to body shop only way.
Old 02-08-15, 10:36 PM
Rudiculous
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by imnew09
Hello everyone! It was all good last night until i saw it today at the public parking lot..... I dont think my insurance company will cover its a minor scrape What should i do?! Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated!
I can't tell if that's your paint scratched down or another cars paint scraped onto yours which could mean you could get it buffed out
Old 02-09-15, 06:55 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Rudiculous
I can't tell if that's your paint scratched down or another cars paint scraped onto yours which could mean you could get it buffed out
^Exactly what I was thinking...

The picture is very poor, so we cannot tell what the extent of the damage is. If the scratch has penetrated the clear coat, the only way to make it look perfect again is to have the entire panel repainted. If it is simply paint transfer from the object you hit, then it can be removed by a professional detailer.

Please provide some better photos/info so that we can help assess the damage.

-Zach
Old 02-09-15, 10:36 AM
imnew09
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for the poor picture! But from what you guys said I kinda get the idea . The really dark spot is a really deep scratch that the paint completely came off and the light scratch i think what zach suggested to have removed by a professional retailer
Old 02-09-15, 11:04 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by imnew09
Sorry for the poor picture! But from what you guys said I kinda get the idea . The really dark spot is a really deep scratch that the paint completely came off and the light scratch i think what zach suggested to have removed by a professional retailer
I'd recommend purchasing some touch up paint from your dealer to help cover up the dark area where the paint was removed. This will make it less noticeable, and is much cheaper than a repaint for the time being.

-Zach
Old 02-09-15, 01:41 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dr.Colorchip is the way to go for this one. It won't be professional looking like a quality repaint but it will cover up nicely and won't be noticeable in a distance. Plus touch up paint will prevent further damage and rust issue later on.

Don't repaint panel if it is not necessary because when you sell your car, people think you have an accident in that area in which they will use it against you to bargain for price.