Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Scratches & painting

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-03, 03:44 AM
Philly#1 Lex
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scratches & painting

Well my 92 lex SC400 is finally about to arrive in Italy and she has alot of scratches on the bumpers front and back. Wondering what i should? Should i pay or should i do this myself. i think am a really good painter ( I paint at work all the time) (spraypaint ) Question is
How much paint should i use
should i paint w/ cream first than my car color to give it a better shine.
I have to sand these scratches because some are preet deep. Any advice on grade of sand paper i will need to use! any help will be greatly appreciated.

PHILLY
Old 03-14-03, 08:55 AM
rushgator
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try wet sanding with 2000 grit. Keep the surface good and wet. This will make it more gentle on your car and will keep dust from building up in the paper. A trick a body man shared with me is to dip the sandpaper in a bucket of water that has some Ivory soap in it every few minutes. It will make your paper last twice as long and will be gentle to your car. If you have deep scratches or chips, get some touch up paint and dab it in the chip or scratch. Make sure you clean the area first. Also, if it is down to bare metal, you will need to dab some primer in as well. After the touch ups dry, you can wet sand them smooth with the rest of the surrounding area. Be careful not to sand too hard, or you will find the primer a little to close to the surface than you would like. After sanding, apply compound either by hand or with a rotary buffer. Do not buff in the sun, or too hard.....you could "burn" the paint or create swirls in your finish. That will remove the scratches.After that, wax and enjoy the new look!
Old 03-16-03, 01:52 AM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Careful you don't even want to get to the paint either. Make sure you leave some clearcoat. I would be cautious of the sandpaper if you are not ready. For the first one do a small area on a less noticable part of the car. Do not scrub or make circular motions when sanding. Meguiars makes a small sanding block that you soak in water first. This is sure to be flat and if kept wet does not make any deep scratches. This can be used to remove touchup paint if you decide to do so. For scratches I :

Wash briefly with dawn (this clears off any wax)
Clay bar it to remove any oxidation, tar, etc
Clean the surface very well after
Use the wet sanding block on the area if necessary (on sides of car go up/down, on top go forward/back)
Use a light polishing compound with an orbital buffer
Add a coat of glaze or wax that helps fill in swirls with an orbital buffer
Add a final coat of high gloss wax or glaze to finish it off