Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Detail

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-15, 01:49 PM
scRuss
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detail

Whats a good price for a detail?
wax, wash, and complete interior cleaning.
i was quoted 250 and these guys do a excellent job. 92 sc400 black outside an tan interior
does that sound fair?
Thanks
Old 02-11-15, 02:06 PM
scRuss
Driver School Candidate

I should say I've never gotten a car detailed, so i ask people who i trust most about sc's Club Lexus.
And my dad referred me to this detail shop.
Old 02-11-15, 02:34 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Given your location (California), that sounds reasonable for that type of work.

If you're expecting defect removal / paint correction, prices will be considerably higher.

-Zach
Old 02-11-15, 03:01 PM
scRuss
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
Given your location (California), that sounds reasonable for that type of work.

If you're expecting defect removal / paint correction, prices will be considerably higher.

-Zach
Okay sounds good enough for me.
But yea iinitially went there to get a clay bar wax and buff and interior. I didn't like the Lol
Thanks
sorry if i posted in the wrong section, i guess i thought about it too much
Old 02-11-15, 03:29 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sometimes you might get lucky and find a good Groupon or living social deal. Just have to research the business and talk to the owners!
Old 02-12-15, 07:51 AM
scRuss
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Glock47
Sometimes you might get lucky and find a good Groupon or living social deal. Just have to research the business and talk to the owners!
Thanks! Will def check out if they have any!
Old 02-12-15, 09:17 AM
Zatrekaz
Rookie

As others have said, it just depends. I have seen people offer a Wash, Wax, and Interior for $50 and I have seen people offer it for $250..

An experienced detailer can charge low to build his client base.. and a run-of-the-mill car washer can charge a lot because they want to make money.

Find out exactly what they are doing, and what products they use. This would allow much better judgement on the possible quality of the detail. Are they using Generic Wash & Wax, or something like Chemical Guys Citrus Wash & Gloss, for example.
Old 02-12-15, 09:27 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think we can't generically have a price for wash, wax and interior.

Based on my actual experience of doing it myself, the cost in term of time and money all depends on what products they use and how they use it. It can be a quick 1.5 hour job to 6 hours job. I'm not kidding. The product can cost as little as $20 to couple hundreds.
Old 02-12-15, 11:44 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Zatrekaz
As others have said, it just depends. I have seen people offer a Wash, Wax, and Interior for $50 and I have seen people offer it for $250..

An experienced detailer can charge low to build his client base.. and a run-of-the-mill car washer can charge a lot because they want to make money.

Find out exactly what they are doing, and what products they use. This would allow much better judgement on the possible quality of the detail. Are they using Generic Wash & Wax, or something like Chemical Guys Citrus Wash & Gloss, for example.
I find it is typically the opposite... an established professional (read higher end establishment, not an avg 'car wash place') will charge more since they value their time and expertise more. A run-of-the-mill car wash place will often charge as low as possible to drive higher volumes which gets them money.

In any case... no two 'details' are the same... the general rule of "you get what you pay for" is very true when it comes to automotive detailing, but there are likely some scammers out there who charge way more than they should for what they are doing. Just do your research and find someone who is reputable. For the OP who is simply looking for a wash, wax, and interior cleaning - there isn't anything too involved in that. Most places can do that easily. Given the service request, I doubt he is too concerned with swirl marks or marring.

-Zach
Old 02-12-15, 12:41 PM
Zatrekaz
Rookie

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
I find it is typically the opposite... an established professional (read higher end establishment, not an avg 'car wash place') will charge more since they value their time and expertise more. A run-of-the-mill car wash place will often charge as low as possible to drive higher volumes which gets them money.

In any case... no two 'details' are the same... the general rule of "you get what you pay for" is very true when it comes to automotive detailing, but there are likely some scammers out there who charge way more than they should for what they are doing. Just do your research and find someone who is reputable. For the OP who is simply looking for a wash, wax, and interior cleaning - there isn't anything too involved in that. Most places can do that easily. Given the service request, I doubt he is too concerned with swirl marks or marring.

-Zach
I should of elaborated more, as you can have both ends of the spectrum on both professional detialers and what I like to call Car Washers. Thus it makes it hard to determine if a price is good or not.