Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Do you put anything on your back up camera

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-15 | 12:04 PM
popping
Lead Lap

Default Do you put anything on your back up camera

So it snowed here in Chicagoland again. With it comes slush, salt, dirt, crap blah.. I prefer to back that azz up when I park, but because of this crud, it's often distorted/blurry. Any of you use anything to keep the crud off?

I was thinking hydro or a car pro forte or something along those lines. Any thoughts/experience would be welcome. Thanks
Old 03-24-15 | 01:47 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

I don't think a protective product would be beneficial as they are not going to keep the lens clean enough when driving through winter filth. The rear of the car gets disgusting... I would just make it a habit of wiping the lens off with a MF towel quickly each morning when needed.
Old 03-24-15 | 02:47 PM
popping
Lead Lap

I was thinking some of the hydrophobic properties would cause it all to slide off.. Thanks for the input Zach!
Old 03-25-15 | 09:27 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

May be Reload to make it slick so it is easier to clean. I actually do that to both of my cars to prevent all the condensation forming on the lens in the morning. Fortunately, I don't have to deal with snow lol. Glad to be in CA.
Old 03-25-15 | 10:25 AM
popping
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by FSportIS
May be Reload to make it slick so it is easier to clean. I actually do that to both of my cars to prevent all the condensation forming on the lens in the morning. Fortunately, I don't have to deal with snow lol. Glad to be in CA.
so does reload keep the condensation off?
Old 03-25-15 | 10:32 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

In my case, the condensation formed tiny beads and once the sun hits it, they all evaporate cleanly without any haze/streak and I don't even need to clean it so Reload helps.
Old 03-25-15 | 09:00 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

I bet you use Reload on your shower door and mirrors huh? jk haha good stuff!
Old 03-26-15 | 09:41 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Glock47
I bet you use Reload on your shower door and mirrors huh? jk haha good stuff!
In fact, I DO!!! It prevents water spotting and way easier to clean. I'm planning to reload my room interior surface too

Ah, i have tried it on iphone, ipad screen. It makes it cleaner but still not prevent finger print. I'm testing various products to prevent finger print but not many products are successful yet. Still on my way finding one.
Old 03-26-15 | 09:12 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

I seriously think they should sponsor you! haha
Old 03-27-15 | 10:11 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Glock47
I seriously think they should sponsor you! haha
I would really love to volunteer. I even want to participate in their product development, quality testing and all that. You know my engineering focus is always quality assurance and process improvement and if I be able to use my skills in helping out a company that sells detailing stuff I love, that would be awesome!

I have wasted a lot of my own hard earned money testing various products throughout the year lol.
Old 03-27-15 | 11:27 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Work hard, master your craft, and become a CarPro Authorized Installer and you can do all of that
Old 03-27-15 | 11:41 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

I want to clarify what I meant earlier. The detailers tend work on the front end. I prefer to develop, test, improve the product in the back end with the chemist, and other scientists.

Yeah, I'm still learning detailing. I'm running out of cars to do paint coating now lol.

Out of curiosity, how do you become certified? What process do you go through with OPT and Carpro to get the "pro" version?
Old 03-27-15 | 12:04 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

I want to clarify what I meant earlier. The detailers tend work on the front end. I prefer to develop, test, improve the product in the back end with the chemist, and other scientists.

Yeah, I'm still learning detailing. I'm running out of cars to do paint coating now lol.

Out of curiosity, how do you become certified? What process do you go through with OPT and Carpro to get the "pro" version?
Well, in a nutshell you have to be a professional detailer who exhibits the kind of work that will represent the brand well (ie do really good work!), you must also carry a substantial amount of insurance and be fully licensed. When you apply, CarPro can decide to approve or reject your request to become an installer... in the US, over 70% of applicants are denied due to the high standards set by CarPro for their Finest installers.

Optimum is much easier to become an installer for... basically if you are a professional and are properly insured, you can become a "pro installer". OPT also has specific requirements that dictate you must by certain $ of product each month, etc, so it doesn't work well for us part time guys anymore. They lost a lot of good installers when they changed their program... they are now catering to higher volume shops and even dealerships.

-Zach