Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Scratch Repair

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-15, 07:45 AM
kcw884
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Scratch Repair

Hi All,

I live in a building with a garage that has very narrow parking spaces and recently scratched the area above my rear wheel on the drivers side (see attached pictures).

I had a friend tell me it would be possible to buff out the scratches, which do not appear to be too deep. However, I am skeptical that this will work. Does anyone have any experience with something like this?

I am guessing that I will need to have the area repainted (which will cost $$ and put me without a car for a few days), but just wanted to check whether buffing might work.

Thanks,
kcw884
Attached Thumbnails Scratch Repair-img_3013.jpg   Scratch Repair-img_3012.jpg  
Old 04-01-15, 08:01 AM
shirosan
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The damage looks to be below the clear coat and even paint. Buffing would not fix the damage other than cleaning up the area and give it a shine. If the marks really aren't below the paint and only on the clear coat you can buff it out but the it is hard to tell from the pictures.

Your best bet is to have a detail shop sand down, repair and repaint it IF the damage is into the paint. Otherwise, there might be other ways around doing a repainting. But if you want to save some $$$ buff it out, put some protectant on it (will keep the paint from chipping more) and but a vinyl band aid over it :P

Sorry to hear about the damage. I know what you mean on the garage. I feel like it might happen to me one of these days too with my garage. Best of luck!

Old 04-01-15, 09:26 AM
magnuscat
Rookie

Looks to me like paint from a post came off onto your paint. My wife has done this several times to her vehicle parking in tight garages. I have managed to buff it out every time.
Old 04-01-15, 09:28 AM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buffing is not even worth it. The scratches are below the clear coat.
Old 04-01-15, 09:51 AM
Jwild909
Driver School Candidate

I've buffed paint off cars before but white on black is a tough one, doesn't hurt to try!
Old 04-01-15, 05:28 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Something like that happened to my GF. I was able to buff it off completely with Scratch X 2.0. Give that a shot first.
Old 04-01-15, 08:43 PM
kcw884
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all your responses. Just to clarify, the pillar that caused this damage is bare concrete, and does not appear to be painted; as such, I don't believe any external paint (i.e. from the concrete) rubbed off on the car.

Do detail shops do paint work? I was thinking I needed to go to a bodyshop to have them repaint the area.

Is it worth going to a detailer first to see whether buffing will work?
Old 04-02-15, 05:56 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Shirosan is spot on...

If the damage is simply material transfer and has not penetrated the clear coat into the base & primer layers, then it can be repaired through a series of paint correction steps, and perhaps even sanding depending on how bad the damage is.

If the damage has penetrated the clear coat, the only way to repair it is to repaint.

-Zach
Old 04-02-15, 09:22 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

From the one picture it looks like there is a decent sized dent above the damage but that may just be the reflection. I would try using washing it off with soap/water, then alcohol and see what comes off. Then try using a compound, cutting pad, and a buffer and see what happens. If most or all of it comes off then you can polish it out with less aggressive polishes pads. There will likely be some scratches but they may be so un noticeable on your black car that you can live with them. If the scratches are too deep you should be able to get that painted/blended for a decent price, the whole pane/bumper likely won't have to be painted and can be blended.
Old 04-02-15, 12:25 PM
huyz13
Rookie

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
...perhaps even sanding depending on how bad the damage is.

-Zach
would you happen to have any guides or advice on sanding procedures?

Originally Posted by UDel
If the scratches are too deep you should be able to get that painted/blended for a decent price, the whole pane/bumper likely won't have to be painted and can be blended.
would you happen to have any guides or advice as far as trying to blend?

Thanks all!
Old 04-03-15, 04:55 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by huyz13
would you happen to have any guides or advice on sanding procedures?

would you happen to have any guides or advice as far as trying to blend?

Thanks all!
A bodyshop/paintshop can blend new fresh paint into older paint if only a small part of a panel is scratched/damaged instead of sanding, priming, painting the whole panel/bumper.