Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Questions about Wax & Exterior Trim

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-15, 06:32 AM
Maveri9720
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Questions about Wax & Exterior Trim

Hey all. I recently bought a 2015 IS250 F-Sport and have been out of the detailing game for awhile. I washed and waxed it for the first time this weekend using Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax. So much nicer and faster than the paste waxes I used in the past.

I had a quick question about getting the wax on the exterior trim, windows and windshields. When I detailed my cars in the past, I had to be very careful not to get the wax on the trim, b/c it would dry it out and turn it white. Is this still the case or is it alright to use this wax on the trim too without any ill effects? Issues on the windows and windshields? I didn't make any effort to keep the spray off the trim. I just wiped down the over-spray if I got it onto the trim. Same process used with the emblems too.

Thoughts?
Old 04-13-15, 07:22 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

UWQ is a nice maintenance product that can be used in full sun on paint, trim and glass. It doesn't dry white. Yet, I'd suggest it is not a replacement for the Ultimate Wax (liquid or paste) product in terms of durability/longevity. UQW lasts a couple weeks while the UW products lasts for several months. I use UQW as a weekly after wash fresh-up. It also aids in drying streak and water spot free.

FWIW, the UW/UQW products are synthetic sealants. UW paste can stain trim while UW Liquid as well as UQW do not.
Old 04-13-15, 09:03 AM
Maveri9720
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for the great info Jim, much appreciated.
Old 04-14-15, 12:59 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have used Meguairs Quik Wax which is a easy product to apply but it will not last long (only 2-4 weeks) and it attracts lot of dust.

I would highly recommend many other sealants out there that could potentially last 3 to 6 months such as Carpro Reload, Blackfire Wet Diamond, Chemical Guys Jet Seal etc

There are 2 products that are SOOOOOO EASYYY to apply:
1. Carpro Hydro2 . You spray it on and rinse it off with water! That is it, no need to use any towel to buff. It takes less than 5 mins to apply to entire car.
2. Ultima Paint Guard Plus. You apply it with foam applicator and WALK AWAY, again with NO buffing!

Carpro sealants can be applied to ALL exterior surface including glass, trims, rubber, headlight, whatever you name it. I even use Reload in kitchen and bathroom.
Old 04-14-15, 01:00 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Carpro Reload insane beading and sheeting video: