Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

I think my driver's seat leather is losing its color!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-03, 02:39 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry I think my driver's seat leather is losing its color!

It's a 99 model with 35k miles... still under full bumper-to-bumper warranty.

When I bought the car I figured it was just really dirty, so I got some leather cleaner out the other day and went to work.

I've tried 3 different kinds of leather cleaners on the seat so far and absolutely none of the gray has come off. So I'm starting to think it's not the gray that needs to come off, it's the beige that needs to go back on... in other words, the leather isn't dirty, it's losing its dye.

This is ONLY happening to my driver's seat, and only happening to the center inner back piece. Let me try to explain better... if you took my driver's seat, then just looked at the area that supports your lower and mid back, you know- the area that the leather looks "wrinkled" from the factory as opposed to the area surrounding it which is much "tighter".

It's only that area that has turned gray... and even that area, only ~20-30% of it has turned colors. But it's very obvious... you can see it from 10 feet away.

So unless this is rediculously stubborn dirt (I doubt it because I used Zaino leather cleaner at one point with a soft-bristled brush, and that has worked wonders on any leather dirt I've ever used it on before)... the dye is fading.

So my question to you is: will be dealer cover this? Will they have to replace the entire seat, or only that certain area of leather? Will they ask me any questions about what I've done as far as cleaning it goes? If I tell them I've used non-lexus cleaners will they say "sucks for you!"?

Help!!!!
Old 03-23-03, 03:16 PM
ATLgs4
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have the tan interior on mine and realized that i had dark stains in the leather too. it seems to be in the same area that you are talking about. however, i realized that the stains were from my black leather belt that i always wear.. and it wont come off.
Old 03-24-03, 10:35 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you present it to them that the dye is coming off the seat , then they should be willing to replace the leather seat cover under warranty. A friend of mine did this with a '97 Cobra with tan seats that was wearing similarly, and Ford replaced his with no questions asked, as it was still under the bumper to bumper warranty.

If on the other hand, color from something you're wearing is bleaching ONTO the leather, they may not look at it the same way. But hey - it never hurts to ask.
BTW, if you can't get satisfaction from lexus in replacing it, there are people that re-dye leather seats, or do touch ups as the case may be (I've done it myself actually with SEM dye) so worse case scenario, you could have it fixed one way or the other, with the latter being under $100 most likely. Good luck.

Last edited by Guitarman; 03-24-03 at 10:35 AM.
Old 03-25-03, 06:42 PM
cheapsk8
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Also make sure that it is real leather and not vinyl. Some trim pakages have a lather/vinyl combo which means not all panels of the seat are leather(usually only where your body comes in contact with the seat). If it is leather, what type? full aniline? pigmented? its also real important to get the correct type of cleaner that wont remove your dye, which this sounds like possibly the case(but sometimes just bad leather). Worst case scenario, if your dealer won't cover it, u can take to an upholsterer and have them replace the defective panels not sure about your area, but local shops here charge about 4 to 7 cents per square inch for leather.

good luck!
-c