Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Cleaing the A/C and radio plastic screens?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-03, 09:17 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Cleaing the A/C and radio plastic screens?

how do i clean the a/c and radio screens in my sc?..they seen to have these spots on the plastic parts that im having a hard time cleaning them...
Old 03-24-03, 09:23 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have tried Novus, Plexus, or Meguiar's plastic cleaner/polish and they are still visible, the spots are likely caused by silicone (Armor All etc) that's been sprayed on the dash at some point and they won't come out. It goes all the way through the plastic, and isn't something just on the surface that you can clean. I would suggest the NOVUS clear plastic cleaner at least, and hope for the best...

Sorry, but replacement of the lens(es) may be your only recourse if it doesn't work. Good luck.
Old 03-29-03, 10:14 AM
97LS400
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forget the Novus plastic cleaner... I wasted a lot of time on that product. I used the same procedure that you would use to remove a run or flaw in a new paint job to clean the instrument cover and it worked great. It also took about 2 hours of hard work (not counting removing and installing the cover.)

1. If the marks are deep (etched into the plastic) then start with 000 steel wool until the marks are gone. This is pretty scary because it will leave a fogged (fine scratch lines) plastic that you can not see through.

2. Next use a "micro-fine" automotive polishing compound. I used the 3M products The plastic will still still be fogged but the deeper scratch lines caused by the 000 steel wool will be gone.

3. Now use a finishing glaze. I used Meguairs Mirror Glaze #5. Rub, add glaze, and keep turning the cloth until the finish is as pretty as you want it to be.

I didn't try the stereo display but suppose you could use a small piece of wood covered with cloth to work the corners. It is a tight area to work and will require more patience, less elbow grease than the instrument cover that I did.

This procedure also did a great job of cleaning scratches out of my center console woodwork and around the shifter.
Old 03-29-03, 01:16 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just to reiterate;

That's indeed a good process for cleaning light scratches and haze on clear plastic, but for anyone that has spots from silicone contamination, don't bother. Silicone penetrates straight through paint and plastics, so all the sanding and buffing in the world won't remove it, it's not just on the surface. Replacement of the bezel is the only fix.

97LS400's advice is great for headlights or dash bezels that are otherwise damaged though. Cheers.
Old 03-29-03, 06:42 PM
97LS400
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have never heard of a silicone product that can go clear through the plastic. My instrument cover had been etched by detail products and I had to remove quite a bit of material before it smoothed out. 000 steel wool will do just that.

I suspect you could use 1200-1500 grit micro fine wet sandpaper and get the same results.

Which reminds me, I omitted the fact that I did the steel wool "wet" rather than dry. That will be more difficult on the radio bezel... I removed the parts and did them in the kitchen sink.