Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Sealant/Wax for clear coated painted rims

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-15, 05:54 AM
Rdcrow
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sealant/Wax for clear coated painted rims

I noticed a few clear coat scratches on the rims of my car. After I cleaned the rims I used Meguiars ScratchX and it removed the scratches, but I want to find a product to put on the painted parts of the rims to prevent the scratches from coming back. Can anyone suggest a product to use?
Old 05-11-15, 06:40 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Rdcrow
I noticed a few clear coat scratches on the rims of my car. After I cleaned the rims I used Meguiars ScratchX and it removed the scratches, but I want to find a product to put on the painted parts of the rims to prevent the scratches from coming back. Can anyone suggest a product to use?
There is no product that will prevent scratches... you simply need to be very gentle when cleaning the wheels. Much like washing your paint, if you do not use proper products and technique, you will scratch the clear coat while cleaning.

Use a high quality brush such as a soft boar's hair wheel brush and/or wheel woolies paired with a good shampoo to provide plenty of lubrication. I'd recommend pressure rinsing as much of the dirt from the wheels before washing them to minimize the amount of dirt that is rubbed against the wheel.

As far as protection to help reduce brake dust and dirt buildup, you can't find anything quicker or easier than CarPro HydrO2.

CarPro HydrO2: Seal Your Wheels in Less than 1 Minute by Zach McGovern

-Zach
Old 06-22-15, 08:13 AM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

PoorBoy's ph balanced wheel solution works great, with the right type of brushes like the other poster mentioned.

I would also have a separate bucket for the wheels, you don't want any of the brake dust ending on your paint job.

My new steam cleaning machine is on its way, so I will be experimenting with that as far as cleaning the wheels.
Old 06-22-15, 08:37 PM
vinnier6
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like stated above, and a high quality sealant like four star ultimate paint protection will help make cleaning easier