Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Crystal white 062 paint color - normal paint?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-15, 08:15 AM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Crystal white 062 paint color - normal paint?

I am looking at secondary car and am looking at a crystal white (paint code 062) RX. I noticed that the paint seems a bit more yellow than what I would expect. For those that have the crystal white, is it normal to have the exterior panel a different shade than the inner door jam? Also the inside of gas cover different than the base body color? Please see pictures.

Exposed exterior seems more yellow than the non exposed panels

Inside gas cover is a bit more white than the base paint around the gas cap, which seems more yellow?
Old 05-16-15, 10:32 AM
yennit
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any color car's exterior paint will fade over the years from sun exposure. I have an 07 pearl white and I love it!
Old 05-16-15, 10:58 AM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I moved your post to the pros in the Automotive Care and Detailing Forum.
Old 05-16-15, 11:17 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

I would imagine a thorough cleaning, decontamination and machine polishing process would greatly rejuvenate the bright white color in the paint.

Overtime contaminates will bond to the paint and even become embedded beneath the surface of the paint. Washing the car removes loose dirt and contamination from the surface, however bonded and embedded particles will remain until the proper processes to remove them have been done.

In order to remove bonded surface contamination, you can use various chemicals such as CarPro IronX and CarPro TarX to remove iron and tar particles after washing. A clay bar should then be used to remove any remaining bonded surface contaminates.

^CarPro Iron X is a clear liquid that turns purple as it reacts with iron particles and works to loosen and dissolve them from the surface.

^Detailing clay removes the bonded surface contaminates, leaving your paint feeling smooth and clean

Once you have removed the above surface loose and bonded contaminates, it is time to begin the paint correction/machine polishing process to remove below surface, embedded contaminates along with paint defects such as swirls and scratches. This process utilizes dual action machine polisher combined with various pads and polishing compounds to remove a thin layer of paint in order to produce a surface with fewer defects, and a brighter, higher gloss finish.

^This photo shows how dirty a pad can get when polishing a vehicle that has a considerable amount of embedded contamination. Notice how the new pad is bright white, and the used pad which was only used for one panel at this point is considerably dirtier due to the dirt that was being removed from within the paint.

^This photo shows how the paint correction process will remove surface defects (note: this removes them by removing a thin layer of paint... it does not fill them in or hide them!) This creates a stunning finish, even on white paint.

Afterwards, you'll need to apply the wax, sealant, or coating of your choice to protect your nicely detailed paint.

Hope that helps.

-Zach
Old 05-16-15, 02:24 PM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 10 Posts

If you open your door jamb and the gas tank cover, do you have the same paint color difference? I wonder if this particular car has been repainted.

Originally Posted by yennit
Any color car's exterior paint will fade over the years from sun exposure. I have an 07 pearl white and I love it!
Old 05-16-15, 03:14 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by SeattleGS400
If you open your door jamb and the gas tank cover, do you have the same paint color difference? I wonder if this particular car has been repainted.
Certainly a possibility... check for things like inconsistent texture (orange peel), overspray, masking marks, painting defects (such as fisheyes, solvent pop, die back, sanding marks) and you'll be able to spot a respray easily.
Old 05-16-15, 10:49 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Please describe your method of using IronX. Do you simply spray it on, let it soak, then spray it off or do you use something to agitate the surface of the paint?
Old 05-16-15, 10:55 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by NickTee
Please describe your method of using IronX. Do you simply spray it on, let it soak, then spray it off or do you use something to agitate the surface of the paint?
Yes correct. Just spray on and rinse off after several minutes.

Best thing to do is wash and dry your car, THEN spray Iron X on as it will cling better to a clean dry surface. I would not do it in the sun or on your driveway because the stuff smells like crap and will embed into your driveway concrete. Do it in one of those coin operated car wash bays.

It may require more then one application of Iron X to really break down all the particles. Some older more contaminated cars took me 2-4 applications.
Old 05-17-15, 10:08 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by NickTee
Wash the car before using Iron X.

You can choose to dry the vehicle, or simply let it air dry most of the way before spraying IX. Spray IronX liberally onto the entire vehicle starting at the top of the car and working your way around and down. Allow the product to dwell for several minutes, but DO NOT ALLOW IT TO DRY. Next, I like to take a damp sponge, towel, or wash mitt and wipe the car to help lift any loose contaminates from the surface. Then rinse very well. Afterwards I prefer to wash the car again (this is quite quick and easy since the car is already clean). Then dry properly