Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Car covers

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-15, 07:23 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Car covers

I'm not really a fan of them for outside, but I really don't like the sun beating down on the car either. Surface temperature measured at 160 degrees F today in the area between the moon roof and windshield. At least its a good backed on finish at that temp. So I got a cover to try. It does have a wax job about a month ago. So just looking for others thoughts on this. Its a 90 ls400 and paint and body not perfect but is okay.
The cover is a made in us Budge 5 gold star and was about 80 some bucks.
Old 05-31-15, 09:17 PM
VTsuckah
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dicer
I'm not really a fan of them for outside, but I really don't like the sun beating down on the car either. Surface temperature measured at 160 degrees F today in the area between the moon roof and windshield. At least its a good backed on finish at that temp. So I got a cover to try. It does have a wax job about a month ago. So just looking for others thoughts on this. Its a 90 ls400 and paint and body not perfect but is okay.
The cover is a made in us Budge 5 gold star and was about 80 some bucks.
There are a number of different types of car covers for different uses and qualities. $80 seems too cheap to me. I've always bought California Car Covers. Some for only garage use, others for outside use. CCC has a great warranty as well. You really do get what you pay for with car covers.

The thing about car covers is that they will induce clear coat marring if the paint is not clean prior to using the car cover. So you need to do your due diligence to keep the paint clean as well make sure there is no debris on the inside of the cover prior to putting it on the car. Also, windy conditions make using a car cover very difficult. For an example: I had a external CCC for my mkii mr2, which had to be stored outside for a week a few years back. The cover had multiple tie down straps/ cables to keep it in place. There was a nasty wind storm one day and I came back home to find the cover had flipped half way around the car. The straps did a number on my clear coat of one of the doors.
Old 06-01-15, 03:13 AM
rhyle07
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The covercraft noah cover is also a good option. The material is not too thin and not too thick. Perfect for outdoor since it is water resistant.
Old 06-01-15, 06:58 AM
carid
Former Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would recommend you Coverking Silverguard car cover. UV rays, water, extreme heat, moderate snow, rain and dirt won't be an issue. This cover is manufactured of polyester-woven fabric and covered with silver coating for UVR-protection. The rugged material delivers unique protection, yet staying soft to the car surface. Your car's finish is safe from moisture and mold due to polyurethane coatings that show high resistance to water and breathability of the material that will let any moisture dry out: http://www.carid.com/1990-lexus-ls-c...r-3372851.html