Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

CarPro Immortal - Self Healing Clear Coat

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-15, 06:05 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts
Default CarPro Immortal - Self Healing Clear Coat

This product was announced at SEMA in 2014 and has been going through a lot of testing and development since then. It appears they are nearing the launch of Immortal as the website now indicates a launch in 2015 and commercial packaging has now been released.

Name:  11781899_1015297781826316_8877301698991565278_n_zpstqamk5zv.jpg
Views: 1324
Size:  43.6 KB

If you aren't aware of what Immortal is, it is a self-healing clear coat that is being developed by CarPro. This clear coat is applied via HVLP sprayer and then cured in an oven just like a traditional clear coat paint, however once cured, this product will be self healing such that scratches, swirls, etc are non-existent. More info on their website... www.carpro-immortal.com

This video shows a lengthy demonstration of the self healing properties at room temperature.

At this point there is no information regarding pricing, however this will only be available to professionals, and given the extensive application process, I would think it is a safe bet to assume the cost will be very high compared to clear bra or paint coatings. This is essentially like applying 1-2 coats of paint to the car.

Will provide more info as I learn more! Exciting technology that could make owning a jet black vehicle so much more enjoyable!

-Zach
Old 08-04-15, 03:38 PM
jowsleyyy
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm very interested in this! I hope it isn't too expensive
Old 08-04-15, 03:50 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by jowsleyyy
I'm very interested in this! I hope it isn't too expensive
What's your idea of 'too expensive'?

Again, I have no idea what the product will cost, but I would imagine a service featuring Immortal would start around $3k with detailing and prep work. Guess we will see!

-Zach
Old 08-04-15, 04:21 PM
jowsleyyy
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Somewhere in the same ballpark that Xpel Ultimate costs. Both have self healing effects, and I know that the Xpel ultimate has a 10 year warranty on it. I know its comparing film to a coating, but it seem that they provide similar results.
Old 08-04-15, 05:31 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by jowsleyyy
Somewhere in the same ballpark that Xpel Ultimate costs. Both have self healing effects, and I know that the Xpel ultimate has a 10 year warranty on it. I know its comparing film to a coating, but it seem that they provide similar results.
Immortal is truly a clear coat, not exactly a coating like CQuartz or Opti-Coat... each coat of Immortal should add approximately 20 microns of material to the surface of the vehicle according to CarPro (like a coat of paint). Immortal can even be used as a substitute for traditional clear coat... ie apply Immortal directly on top of base coat.

A full XPEL wrap can be very expensive... so if you're comparing the two, it should be in the same ballpark.

-Zach
Old 08-05-15, 09:46 AM
popping
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I was quoted 4k for a full xpel wrap. What i'm curious to know is if CQF would be applied after immortal. Or if there's a need for it.
Old 08-05-15, 10:10 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I wonder how it performs against Lexus' self-healing paint. I'll probably wait another 10 years. By then, it'll be standard stuff.
Old 08-05-15, 11:14 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by popping
I was quoted 4k for a full xpel wrap. What i'm curious to know is if CQF would be applied after immortal. Or if there's a need for it.
I was told that it is not needed, however CQF on top of Immortal would add gloss and slickness. Likewise, you could also just wax on top of it.... after all, Immortal is just a clear coat.

Originally Posted by GSteg
I wonder how it performs against Lexus' self-healing paint. I'll probably wait another 10 years. By then, it'll be standard stuff.
Current OEM self-healing paints are a joke IMO. They simply don't offer any real world benefits. Immortal (at least what they have shown) will heal at real world temps and not just maybe under high heat.

I'm hopeful that you're right and this type of technology does make its way to OEMs in the near future.
Old 08-06-15, 12:33 AM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Maybe detailers will offer it on the front end only to reduce cost? no one likes clears bras, this would be a good alternate.
Old 08-06-15, 07:40 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by Jbreezie
Maybe detailers will offer it on the front end only to reduce cost? no one likes clears bras, this would be a good alternate.
Potentially. I am not sure how impact resistant Immortal will be though... clear bra is clear film, not paint, so I imagine the properties are quite different. If immortal was able to withstand impacts without chipping, that would be almost too good to be true.
Old 08-14-15, 03:10 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Yeah now if we all could get outfits that have parking lots with 7 foot wide parking spaces for a 6 plus foot wide cars to 1 either put up walls between them or 2 widen them far enough so the idiot in the car next to you can open the door and it not hit your car. $3000 self healing clear will not stop a dent or missing paint or clear, maybe heal some small scratches etc.