Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Brake dust ruined my wheels

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-15, 09:40 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Brake dust ruined my wheels

A combination of brake dust and owner neglect killed the finish on my wheels. I have a set of Varrstoens that I bought brand new from a Club Lexus vendor two years ago. I use to keep them clean and detailed before my daughter was born. Now I just don't have the time every weekend to wipe them down. Unfortunately it's been about a month and a half since my last car wash, and I finally had an afternoon to detail my car. Keep in mind that my car is garaged and only driven on the weekends. It rained heavily the other night and my car was outside. That gave me the motivation to clean her really well yesterday. My simple method for cleaning wheels is to spray gentle soap from a spray bottle and let it sit for a few minutes before scrubbing with a soft wheel brush. Either way, the Varrstoens clear coat was eaten up on several wheels providing a slightly stained/pitted appearance in several spots on the inside lip. I tried a little bit of paint polish but it's too late. I'll have to strip them down and either leave the bare aluminum or re-clear them. I didn't think that brake dust could cause this much damage during the summer months without salt, but I was wrong. I was so upset that I didn't even clean the rest of my car. I just cleaned the wheels and parked it back in the garage.

I'll post pics later tonight.

Last edited by Tabaka; 08-24-15 at 04:22 PM.
Old 08-24-15, 04:17 PM
Nospinzone

Received 419 Likes on 323 Posts

In the LS460 forum we have talked about ceramic brake pads. A CL member recommended Akebono pads. I bought them online from the Place For Brakes. It was the best thing I have ever done for my car.

There is virtually no brake dust. They performed so well I bought a set for my wife's car even though she didn't need new pads. It used to be that I would have to wash the wheels every two days. Now they never look dirty even after a week or more.
Old 09-09-15, 03:09 PM
Pie
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Varrstoens, that pretty much sums it up.
Old 09-10-15, 08:08 AM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I think you did nothing wrong, oem wheels with clear won't have this problem.
And you are using OEM pads as well, right?