Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Microfiber Towels, Who's the best?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-03, 06:44 PM
Deanski
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Microfiber Towels, Who's the best?

OK, with all the rave and results from Microfiber towels as opposed to cotton, here's a few question.

Who makes the best Micofiber towels?

Which ones are best for strickly drying?

Which ones are best for strickly polishing after say, Zaino or Meguiars etc?

Would you use the Microfiber pads for polish application?

Why would you use a "waffel weave" Microfiber towel for?

How to care for your Microfiber towels?

I see some Microfiber towles are not created equal for use on car detailing. Some have problems of linting, seams scratching the paint, dye bleeds etc.

It's time to rate these and post your results.

I'm preparing for a Zaino treatment on my brand new 2003 SC430, so before it gets scratched, I want to use the Microfiber towels to prevent the scratching. SO far, I have used the Zymol Microfiber towels which seem OK. Some claim to be just for polish, and some do not reference what it could be used for.

Some vendors offer name brands, Cobra, Meguiars, etc. and quite a few are duplicate vendors on each website.

Commets and results in this thread will be helpful to all.

Thanking all in advance,

DEANSKI
Old 04-06-03, 07:12 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are going to use Zaino, microfiber is not recommended by Sal Zaino.
Instructions and recommendations are found at: http://www.zainobros.com .

In re application:
- "Apply Zaino Show Car Polish enabled with ZFX™ with a 100%, made in the USA, cotton applicator."

- "Apply Zaino Bros' Show Car Polish to a clean 100% cotton towel or applicator. We have found the best way of applying Show Car Polish is with our #314 Custom Polish applicator."

In re polish removal:
- "ALWAYS use only 100% Cotton towels. They must be Made in USA. Brand name (Cannon or Fieldcrest) large white bath size towels."

- "Remove with a clean 100% (Made in USA) Large Bath size White cotton towel, turning towel frequently until all polish is removed. A large towel is necessary to completely remove polish."

- "Zaino Bros' recommends using only Large Bath size 100% Made in USA White Cotton towels with all of our products. Cotton T-shirts are too small for polish removal and not as absorbent or fluffy as towels and most contain polyester. We have found that certain towels; especially those manufactured abroad, although they say 100% cotton. They are not; they include a blend of polyester and nylon that will definitely scratch and leave swirl marks in your paint finish. The rule of thumb is to use high quality Brand Name large bath towels (Cannon or Fieldcrest) that say 100% cotton and made in the USA."

Still want microfiber? MF towels..What's best?

I highly recommend PakShak towels. Best quality, great price and customer service that's unrivaled.
They are also available with a ClubLexus discount:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=59305

Waffle weave towels are used for drying, so that answers 2 of your questions. Ranney Pak will have a waffle weave towel for sale very soon.

Care for MF towels. Wash them as you would any towel. Just keep them segregated from other laundry. They will pick up lint from any other items in the washer or dryer. Use NO fabric softerner or dryer sheets.
Old 04-09-03, 11:17 PM
strongsail
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Right-O Daddy-O, the PakShak microfiber towels are great! I launder them just the way you said - separate from other linty fabrics, and never any fabric softener (which I hate anyway, I call it "clothing grease," plus I'm allergic to all of it)

I agree too, if you use cotton, use USA-made high-quality towels, cheaper stuff not only contains some rogue fibers but also may be hemmed with monofilament thread. Cut the labels off too - -
Old 04-10-03, 01:13 PM
SCRUFFDOGG
Lexus Champion

I'll throw in my 2 cents, I absolutely love the PakShak mf towels, they are by far the best i have used. I have a large stock of them in my garage and use them on my bike, car, and truck. My wife uses them throughout the house for cleaning and dusting.
Old 04-10-03, 05:39 PM
GA400
Lead Lap

PakShak all the way. Great service and quick shipping.

GA400
Old 04-11-03, 03:19 PM
cheapsk8
Driver

Smile

Kimberly-Clark makes a very soft disposable towel, can't remember the model # but they are great for applying hand glaze and things of that nature. I think they are around $25-30 for a box.

-c