Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Is this how you go about detailing?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-15 | 10:49 PM
jjc250
Driver

Default Is this how you go about detailing?

My obsidian IS looks not so great under the sun because the swirl marks are so visible, thus, I want to get rid of them and return the car to show room shine.

Here's what I think on how to do it, if it's wrong, please correct me:

1. wash
2. dry
3. clay
4. polish ( is this the step that removes swirl marks and scratches?)
5. wax

Please help me, thanks in advance!!
Old 09-23-15 | 04:59 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Glad to hear you're interested in learning how to get your vehicle back into shape! You've got the basic idea...

Paint correction (ie compounding and polishing) is the process which removes surface defects by removing a layer of paint to create a more flat surface than before. By creating a flatter surface, reflective properties are enhanced and therefore the paint is glossier than before.

Obsidian black paint can be a challenging paint to work with as the lack of metallic flake makes it very easy to see every tiny flaw in the surface.

Assuming you want to achieve maximum correction, you will likely need to undergo a multi-step paint correction process. This means that you will start with a more aggressive product and pad in order to remove heavier to moderate defects, and then will follow up with a more moderate/light product/pad combination in order to restore clarity and color back to the paint. Allow me to show an example.....

Here is a jet black mustang that was severely neglected. Notice the massive amounts of defects in the paint that have created a very lack-luster appearance.
Name:  20150618-DSC_4158_zpsn7zubnns.jpg
Views: 5446
Size:  957.7 KB

After heavy compounding, the defects have been removed, but you will notice the paint still does not look so great. There are tick marks known as micro marring all over which still leave a dull/faded look. This micro marring is a product of heavy cutting and is to be expected. This is why we must follow up with a series of finer polishes to fully restore the paint.
Name:  20150618-DSC_4159_zpsvi7ocncp.jpg
Views: 5490
Size:  738.3 KB

You will notice in this photo, the paint is now deep and black. There is no detectable marring after a careful polishing process, and the defects are almost entirely gone. A successful correction.
Name:  20150618-DSC_4161_zpsfbnr9kn1.jpg
Views: 5438
Size:  629.8 KB

I highly recommend reading through some articles on the Detailed Image Ask-A-Pro Blog as well as their comprehensive Detailing Guide for more great information on the complete detailing process.

How to Properly Wash & Dry A Car
Paint Correction: Pairing Products and Pads by Zach McGovern
Analyzing Your Test Spot by Zach McGovern
Clear Coat Preservation: Are You Polishing Too Often? by Zach McGovern

Some product recommendations....

Polish:
Meg's M100 Cutting Compound (SMAT)
Meg's M205 Finishing Polish (SMAT)

Menzerna Fast Gloss 400 (DAT)
Menzerna Power Finish 2500 (DAT)
Menzerna Micro Polish SF4500 (DAT)

Buffers:
Griot's Garage 3rd Gen DA Polisher - Affordable, Effective, Reliable, and most of all SAFE FOR EVERYONE TO USE! This product is backed by a lifetime manufacturer warranty.

Backing Plates:
5" Backing Plate
3" Backing Plate

Buffing Pads:
Meguiar's MicroFiber Cutting Discs - Great for removing heavier defects or for working with harder paint
Lake Country 5.5” and 3” Foam Pads (I typically recommend Orange Light Cutting Pads, White Polishing Pads, Black Finishing Pads, and Blue Fine Finishing Pads)

That ought to be enough info for now.... please let me know if you've got any other questions

-Zach
Old 09-23-15 | 08:18 AM
jjc250
Driver

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
Glad to hear you're interested in learning how to get your vehicle back into shape! You've got the basic idea...

That ought to be enough info for now.... please let me know if you've got any other questions

-Zach
Wow what a reply! Thanks so much for typing out all these information! I truly appreciate it and I will definitely report back with results when I get the chance! Thank you!

Last edited by jjc250; 09-23-15 at 08:24 AM.