Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Pano Roof Care..

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-16, 03:54 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Pano Roof Care..

I just got a newer car recently and i'm wondering if i should clay bar and put a coat of wax or sealant on the roof for protection and beading purposes... I've seen some "glass sealants" and "glass polish" but any brand i should look into?

i'm going to clay bar the car today and put a few coats of Blacklight on it and then some blackfire sealant.. after i attack the hood with the PC and Megs polish to get rid of some light scratches..

thanks
Old 03-18-16, 02:02 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm assuming this is a glass roof but you mention several products recommended for paint. Is it glass you plan on treating and sealing?
Old 03-18-16, 02:41 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Wax won't hurt the glass. I know when I detailed cars many moons ago one of the guys I worked with put wax on the glass. With the product we were using(Auto-Glym wax with a bit of a filler that hid swirls nicely), you just rubbed it off and the glass looked like you had just cleaned it, perfectly clear, no need to clean the windows.

I told him he was wasting expensive wax and it took longer than just cleaning the windows with newspaper and window cleaner. But no doubt it worked, I kind of wonder though if it would leave a funky film on the glass when it rained or would smear with your wipers.
Old 03-18-16, 03:45 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll
I'm assuming this is a glass roof but you mention several products recommended for paint. Is it glass you plan on treating and sealing?
yes... I emailed Detailed image and they said use this product... 22pler VG1 (Glass Specific Coating)

if i go that route i think a professional will do it... There's a local guy that can do it...

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Wax won't hurt the glass. I know when I detailed cars many moons ago one of the guys I worked with put wax on the glass. With the product we were using(Auto-Glym wax with a bit of a filler that hid swirls nicely), you just rubbed it off and the glass looked like you had just cleaned it, perfectly clear, no need to clean the windows.

I told him he was wasting expensive wax and it took longer than just cleaning the windows with newspaper and window cleaner. But no doubt it worked, I kind of wonder though if it would leave a funky film on the glass when it rained or would smear with your wipers.

your right i don't think wax is the way to go... 22pler VG1 (Glass Specific Coating) that is what i was told to use... I have stoners glass that i use for the windshield so i wouldn't think a roof is no different...

Maybe Zac can chime in... thanks guys
Old 03-18-16, 03:51 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

You can save a lot of coin using Griot's Glass Sealant. Basically the same concept just at 25% of the cost. You can clay the glass too and given it's much harder than a clear coat you can polish it out if you have trouble removing contaminants. Just make sure you keep the sealant up and you'll be good to go.
Old 03-18-16, 05:50 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

You can save a lot of coin using Griot's Glass Sealant. Basically the same concept just at 25% of the cost. You can clay the glass too and given it's much harder than a clear coat you can polish it out if you have trouble removing contaminants. Just make sure you keep the sealant up and you'll be good to go.
thanks ,, i'll give that a try... so clay then the sealant?
Old 03-18-16, 07:00 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tmf2004
thanks ,, i'll give that a try... so clay then the sealant?
Correct. Just make sure your lubricant when using the clay is free of waxes or you will have to wash with soap and water to make sure the glass is clean before applying the sealant.
Old 03-19-16, 04:56 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Correct. Just make sure your lubricant when using the clay is free of waxes or you will have to wash with soap and water to make sure the glass is clean before applying the sealant.
thanks for the help...