Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Rock Chips

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-03, 05:17 PM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rock Chips

I got my touch paint today and I am trying to touch up some rock chips on my hood. The chips size are anywhere from a bee-bee to the size of a pencil lead. The brush that comes with the touch paint is just making a big mess. Anybody know if any tips or any other way to apply touch up paint on small rock chips?
Old 04-26-03, 09:24 PM
Bradster
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try using a toothpick-i haven't tried this myself but it has been recommended.
Old 04-27-03, 09:09 PM
Par72

Yep, toothpick is the way to go. I've used them many times myself for touchup & you can get the paint right into the affected area without smearing it on the good paint. The only problem with touchup is that eventually it will wear off with car washes and waxes and needs to be retouched quite often.
Old 04-28-03, 06:51 AM
Gabeshell
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Toothpics work well. Generally I use a fine craft brush. I just stop in at the local Walmart and go back into the craft section. I buy the finest brissle craft brush I can find. They work great. Just make sure that you put only small amounts of the touch up paint on at a time. Each time the touch up paint dries in the chip then fill in a little more. Doing it this way ensures that you don't overfill the chip and then have that gloppy look. Good luck.
Old 04-28-03, 03:34 PM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you break the toothpick or just use the pointed end? Also, my car is the diamond white pearl which is a tri-coat paint. But I think the tri-coat is a waste for rock chips?
Old 04-28-03, 10:41 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the chips are small, you're right-it isn't worth trying to do the 3 step pearl, it won't look much different and it's hard to make chips unnoticeable anyway, no matter how close a match the paint is..

I have the same pearl paint on my GS and I find any white close in tone works for the tiny chips.
Best of luck.

P.S. May want to check into that Autosharp pen mentioned a few posts down.
Old 04-29-03, 10:28 AM
spdwyvette
Driver School Candidate

You might also want to take a look at Langka No direct expierence w/ this product, but I've heard a lot of people talk of success w/ it.

andy t.

edit-fixed link

Last edited by Daddy-O; 04-30-03 at 06:24 PM.
Old 04-30-03, 06:16 PM
Deanski
Driver

Post Rock hit repair instructions

I found through Autopia's web site a great step-by-step on repairing stone/rock chip hits on your vehicle.

Please see this site! You MAY have to register to view the forums, but well worth it. Some great info!

Here's the link:

Stone Chip Repairs

I hope this helps all of you with the stone hits.

My NEW '03 SC430 with ONLY 1400 miles got one right on the "nose" of the hood, right after I just had my 1st 30 day insspection/service, which I had them drop both oil and filter due to break-in lubes that may still be traversing the engine, with Mobil 1 0-30W and a new filter.

As soon as I got home and put it in the garage, I noticed the hit!! Worse yet, I ordered and have a new "carbon fiber" bra that is in my office. Just was waiting for warmer weather before I put it on and time to Zaino the car as well.

Enjoy, I know I will be busy!

Deanski