Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Constant rain, car parked outside, what wax to use?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-16, 03:24 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Constant rain, car parked outside, what wax to use?

My car is always parked outside and we've been getting heavy rain almost daily. What's a good hand-applied wax or synthetic sealant that can withstand lots of rain? I was thinking of getting Meguiars NXT Tech Wax or something similar. I'd love to use a proper coating like CQuartz but I don't have a buffer to get the paint all nice and perfect before applying the coating.
Old 05-07-16, 02:18 PM
VTsuckah
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've used CarPro Reload, CarPro Hydr02, and Blackfire Crystal Seal on my Tacoma that sit's outside 24x7. Reload provides the longest protection in my experiences. All are very easy to use. Reload requires you to spray product onto a dry panel and spread/buff off with a microfiber towel. Hydr02 requires you to spray a panel at a time and rinse off with a stream of water to activate, then dry the vehicle as normal. Crystal Seal requires you to spray a small amount of product onto an applicator and you simply spread thinly over each panel, no buffing required unless you leave too much excess.

My go-to's are Reload for before and after winter seasonal detail and hydr02 for touchups if needed. Hydr02 is GREAT for wheels.
Old 05-15-16, 07:58 AM
zany
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i use collinite boat wax or insulator wax on my cars that are outside. 2 coats of that stuff can last a winter with some salting of the roads. The shine is not that great compared to the other waxes.
Old 05-15-16, 10:19 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

You want something that focuses mainly on durability and longevity. I would recommend Colonite 476 or other Colonite waxes/sealants, Blackfire Wet Diamond, Zaino sealants. Colonite is very easy to use, not as sensitive about surface contamination as Zaino, and priced much lower then Blackfire or Zaino.
Old 05-17-16, 09:00 AM
natman
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I've had good results with NuFinish paste wax. An application lasts at least 6 months. I tried NXT some years ago and while the shine was amazing, it lasted about 3 weeks. It's fine if your hobby is detailing your car and you're going to wax it again next weekend anyway, but if you want something that lasts NuFinish is much better.
Old 05-18-16, 07:38 AM
gitku
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently purchased a wax called Liquid Glass. It applies very thin and wipes off easily. Applying it, I get the feeling is is more of a product made to keep elements off via oils instead of a wax barrier. I have only had it applied for about a week, so can't speak to the longevity of it. Here is a pic from ran about 7 days after application.
Old 05-18-16, 07:27 PM
Radio88
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been using Klasse paint/glass sealant glaze since 1986. This stuff was originally meant for aircraft and marine apps. It was only sold at high end car dealers then. I started using it on my '86 Camaro in '86 and have used it on every vehicle since. My 15 year old Tacoma is pictured here
Name:  IMG_1059_zpsvbhccaxg.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  208.9 KB
Name:  IMG_1056_zpsi4yp8uin.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  207.8 KB

and you can see it looks as new as my new RX350 behind it very good stuff.
Stands up to the elements very well. I personally apply it 3 times a year where they suggest once a year. I like the protection it gives my paint all these years against rain, fog, and ocean salt here in SFO-that Tacoma finish is deep. Already did my first application to the RX. If you can imagine, it looks better than it did when I bought it a month ago!