Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Anyone W/Chemical Guys VSS Experience

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-16, 09:15 PM
lysis250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Anyone W/Chemical Guys VSS Experience

So I was browsing YouTube for how to remove hard water spots on Windows and stumbled upon the video where chemical guys use their VSS product on a 370Z to remove swirls in the paint. I know they are professionals and are good at what they do but has anyone on here tried this product? I would like to hear from someone who has been detailing for a long time and has many many hours of detailing experience. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-19-16, 05:18 AM
KMG
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So are you looking for something to remove water spotting on your glass or remove swirls in your paint? Personally I am not very fond of most Chemical Guys products other then some of their shampoos. I would stick to Meguiar's M205 as it would work fine for polishing glass to remove spotting and also be good for polishing the paint.
Old 05-19-16, 06:41 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

First, you need to understand what type of water spots you are dealing with... check out these articles which explain what causes water spots, the types of water spot damage, and how to remove them.

Understanding Water Spots & How to Avoid Them by Zach McGovern
Removing Water Spots by Zach McGovern

As discussed in the article, water spots may be above surface contamination which can simply be removed with a water spot remover (acid), or they may have etched into the surface which requires abrasive compounds and/or polishes to level the surface and remove the defects. My personal favorite water spot remover is CarPro Spotless. To answer your original question, any polish which contains abrasives can be used to remove water spots. I have not personally used VSS products, but I have heard mixed reviews... as Kevin mentioned, I would personally recommend something from the Meguiar's Line Up such as M105 Compound and M205 Polish.

Window Etching & Stain Removal | Getting the Most Out of Your Meguiar’s Cutting Discs by Brian Guy

Hope that helps!

-Zach
Old 05-19-16, 11:27 AM
lysis250
Lexus Test Driver

I'm looking to do both remove water spots on my Windows and get rid of the swirls on my paint. I'm a total noob at this but thinking of picking up some equipment soon so I can do my own detailing on my own cars.

Last edited by lysis250; 05-19-16 at 11:38 AM.
Old 05-20-16, 05:54 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by lysis250
I'm looking to do both remove water spots on my Windows and get rid of the swirls on my paint. I'm a total noob at this but thinking of picking up some equipment soon so I can do my own detailing on my own cars.
My advice for most DIYers is to go with something like the Griot's Garage DA machine and a small selection of pads. The GG machine has a lifetime manufacturer warranty, so should anything ever happen to it, you'll get a replacement... it's a great deal!

Here is a general starter kit that I recommend to many people because it is similar to what I started with, and it is a great package that can handle most any situation. Aside from using a DA machine for correction/polishing work, it also makes applying sealants and waxes simple. You can apply a sealant to your vehicle in no time with a machine!

Griot's Garage Dual Action Polisher
5" Backing Plate
3" Backing Plate
Lake Country Orange Light Cutting Pad (5.5" x2, 3" x2)
Lake Country White Polishing Pad (5.5" x2, 3" x2)
Lake Country Black Finishing Pad (5.5" x2, 3" x2)
Meguiar's M100 Cutting Compound
Meguiar's M205 Finishing Polish

These supplies are very versatile, and you'll be able to do anything from paint correction/swirl removal, to general gloss enhancing polishing, to spreading sealant, etc. All products are easy to work with, and dual action polishers are beginner friendly.

-Zach
Old 05-20-16, 07:20 PM
lysis250
Lexus Test Driver

Thank you Zach for the link provided. I sent you a PM in hopes of your help.