Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Scratches RX F-Sport

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-16, 07:31 AM
jmull3r
Instructor

Received 243 Likes on 145 Posts
Default Scratches RX F-Sport

<br > <br > <br > <br > <br > <br > <br >

my mom has various scratches throughout her RX and I was wondering what we should to get all of them out? She is on a 3 year lease and her return is in August 2017. Do we need a body shop, a Lexus dealer, or can we do it ourselves??
Old 07-07-16, 08:36 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Here is how it works when it comes to removing defects in your paint (specifically scratches)...

If the scratch has NOT penetrated the clear coat, it can be repaired relatively easily using abrasives such as compound, polish, and/or sand paper depending on the severity of the scratch.

If the scratch has penetrated the clear coat, exposing the base coat, primer, or substrate then the only way to repair it is to apply paint to the area. This can be as simple as applying touch up paint if you want a quick and inexpensive cover up, or if you want it to look like new, a body shop would need to refinish the entire panel.

Looking at your photos, it is difficult to tell how severe the scratches are. The whitish color leads me to believe they are not simply light scratches, but it is not always an indication that the clear coat has been compromised.

Here is how you should proceed....

Purchase the following if you do not already have them (or similar) on hand:
- A good cutting compound (I recommend Meguiar's M105)
- A good finishing polish (I recommend Meguiar's M205)
- Some high quality microfiber towels
- A microfiber applicator
- A foam applicator

How to remove scratch by hand...

First, thoroughly wash and dry the car. Pull the car into the garage, or into the shade, and make sure the paint is nice and cool before proceeding.

Assess the scratches by gently rubbing your fingernail over it. If your fingernail easily catches the scratch, it may be too deep to remove with this technique, so do not attempt. Find scratches that are light enough that they do not easily catch your fingernail.

Apply a small amount of cutting compound to your microfiber applicator. Rub the compound over the scratch using moderate pressure. Work the compound for 30 seconds or so, then wipe the residue away and inspect your results. If needed, repeat this step once more. If the finish is hazy, apply some polish to your foam applicator pad and rub it against the paint in a similar manner, but using a little less pressure. This should restore clarity to the paint.

*Note - Please understand that removing scratches means you are removing clear coat. The deeper the scratch, the more clear coat needs to be removed. If you remove too much clear coat and expose the base coat, the only way to fix the damage is to repaint the area. This is not likely to happen with this process, but it is worth understanding the potential risks involved*

If you are feeling up to the challenge and want to tackle some of the deeper scratches that have not penetrated the clear coat, wet sanding is involved and the risks are significantly higher. Let me know if you want some guidance on that.

-Zach
Old 07-07-16, 08:37 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

On the other hand, since you are in New Jersey, you could visit our forum sponsor Detailer's Domain and see if they can assist you with the scratch removal. Those guys are experts in paint correction!

-Zach
Old 07-07-16, 12:56 PM
jmull3r
Instructor

Received 243 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
On the other hand, since you are in New Jersey, you could visit our forum sponsor Detailer's Domain and see if they can assist you with the scratch removal. Those guys are experts in paint correction!

-Zach
Sounds good!! Can I have an email, phone number or website??
Old 07-07-16, 06:12 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

www.DetailersDomain.com
Old 07-08-16, 07:54 AM
popping
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

all i have to say is the OP loves Lexus and F-sports!
Old 09-12-16, 01:40 PM
jloftus
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Dudes,

Is there a good place in PA? Is Dent Wizard any good? Or do they focus mostly on dents?

I have a feeling if I involve the dealer I'm going to end up taking out a second loan just to make a couple of scratches disappear.

I'm honestly not confident enough to do it myself - I could end up making it look worse!

I suspect this might have happened in an automatic car wash....but I'm not sure.

Old 09-12-16, 01:41 PM
jloftus
Pit Crew

I mean the scratches I just discovered just above the right wheel. Long and very skinny - not very deep, but I can feel them when
I run my hand over them.
Old 09-12-16, 04:13 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Do you frequently take your vehicle through automatic washes?

If so, there is a lot more superficial damage that you probably are not aware of. Automatic washes are terrible for your paint.

Where in PA are you located?
Old 09-13-16, 07:06 AM
jloftus
Pit Crew

Wilkes-Barre - Scranton area - Northeast

I took my previous car (Honda accord V6) into one - set it on 'no touch'. I didn't seem to notice anything.

Maybe I shouldn't do it w the Lexus. There are such long lines at the other places.....

Old 09-13-16, 07:49 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by jloftus
Wilkes-Barre - Scranton area - Northeast

I took my previous car (Honda accord V6) into one - set it on 'no touch'. I didn't seem to notice anything.

Maybe I shouldn't do it w the Lexus. There are such long lines at the other places.....
Touchless is ok if that is your only option, however hand washing is always going to be the best way to clean your vehicle.

READ THIS: How To Properly Wash and Dry a Car by Todd Cooperider

Sorry - the closest detailer I know is in Lebanon, PA which seems to be about 1.5 hours from you. If you'd like his info, you can view his work at www.kmgdetailing.com
Old 09-14-16, 09:54 AM
jloftus
Pit Crew

Thanks. I guess I have to ask around and find out which detailers are really good. There's a lot of them advertised around here.