Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Need Advice/Feedback on recent tint job.. the good & bad?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-16, 11:49 PM
LexusVDS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Advice/Feedback on recent tint job.. the good & bad?

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forums, and I'm thinking this would be the best place to post regarding my new tint job.

So, I recently got my 2016 IS350 FSPORT tinted with Suntek CXP 35% all around. The good is that the work is fairly clean. No haziness, and only a minimal amount of bubbles that the guy said would clear up after curing. However, up close inspection revealed that there were some dust/speck stuck behind the tint, which I know is kind of impossible to be 100% dust free. I can sorta live with that.

Here is the real problem I found...when I was driving at night, I notice lots of glare/light reflections from the rear window when I'm looking that the rear view mirror. The headlights from car behind me looks very distorted.

Although I've only got my car tinted for about 2 days. Is this an issue that can be fixed with more curing? Is anyone having or had this issue with rear windshield tint?

Note: This is my first ever tint job. I have no idea what I should expect.
Old 08-08-16, 05:50 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

It is likely from moisture that is still present between the glass and the tint... give it a couple weeks to dry out and see if it clears up. The tint should be as clear as the untinted glass was once it has fully dried out.
Old 08-08-16, 11:19 AM
LexusVDS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
It is likely from moisture that is still present between the glass and the tint... give it a couple weeks to dry out and see if it clears up. The tint should be as clear as the untinted glass was once it has fully dried out.
I did notice that the film does not sit flush on the rear windshield. It seems to bubble around the defroster lines.. is this normal for a recent tint? Will it go away after curing?

I'll wait it out and see what happens before I go back to the guy. All my Co-workers had their cars done with him, so I thought he'll do a good job.
Old 08-09-16, 06:21 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Yes, just wait a couple of weeks. Park the car out in the sun when possible. Let it dry out.

If after all of that, there is still distortion or bubbles, I would ask for the shop to correct any issues you are seeing.
Old 08-09-16, 08:25 AM
LexusVDS
Driver School Candidate

One more question..

I inspected the film again yesterday. There seems to be a tiny air bubble, NOT WATER BUBBLE. When I run my finger across I can feel a little bump where the air bubble is. And I can't tell if there is any contamination..

Will this air bubble/bump ever set?
Old 08-09-16, 08:40 AM
popping
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

how much did you pay for said tint job?
Old 08-09-16, 09:22 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

If it is just an air bubble, without dust or something trapped beneath the film, your installer can likely relieve it... one trick I have seen is to use a syringe or tiny needle to make a very very small hole and then press the air out. I'm no tint expert

I'll just advise you to stop looking at it for a couple weeks... give yourself a break. Let the fluid dry out and then see what you're dealing with. Most tint shops will warranty the product and their work, so as long as you're dealing with a reputable installer, you should have nothing to worry about.
Old 08-09-16, 10:30 AM
LexusVDS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by popping
how much did you pay for said tint job?
$200 for all 5 windows with Suntek CXP 35%. I work at a Lexus, and this is the guy were the co-workers and customers cars get their windows tinted.

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
If it is just an air bubble, without dust or something trapped beneath the film, your installer can likely relieve it... one trick I have seen is to use a syringe or tiny needle to make a very very small hole and then press the air out. I'm no tint expert

I'll just advise you to stop looking at it for a couple weeks... give yourself a break. Let the fluid dry out and then see what you're dealing with. Most tint shops will warranty the product and their work, so as long as you're dealing with a reputable installer, you should have nothing to worry about.
Yeah, its not really in my line of sight. However, it is on my driver's door window. Right across to where my ear is when I'm driving. I'll give it a couple weeks. Its only been about 2-3 days.