Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Spinoff: Protective Film or Ceramic Coating?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-16, 06:32 AM
Xctrygirl
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spinoff: Protective Film or Ceramic Coating?

The film was mentioned on my thread about which car to choose and I thought it would be best to bring it out into it's own topic.

Has anyone else chosen either of these options??

This is the video my local detailing shop made:

This is a video of the protective film:

I would love to know if anyone used either of these options.

Many thanks,

Emily
Old 08-11-16, 06:54 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 117 Likes on 90 Posts

Go here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/aut...detailing-122/

They have TONS of info for what you want to know.

Also, they are both different. The coating is a protective paint barrier from the elements, bird poop. The protective film protects the paint against rock chips, scratches, etc. That is why the films are usually way more expensive. It is best to protective film the front of the car (xpel ultimate is a great one) and ceramic coat the rest!
Old 08-11-16, 07:40 AM
bwsteg
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My RX has both. Suntek film on the entire front end plus some on roof. It also has 2 coats of ceramic pro.
Old 08-11-16, 09:58 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 172 Likes on 146 Posts

The thread has been moved.

Emily, do both. The coating will protect from environmental fallout while the clear bra prevents rock chips. And some coatings can be applied on top of it. I have XPEL clear bra on the front including the pillars and area before the pano roof. 3M is also good but I wanted to try XPEL. It comes with a longer 10 year warranty too. Then last month I applied two coats of 22PLE HPC which should last 3-4 years. It was the first time I tried a coating but very easy to use. It's the prep part that's a pain.
Old 08-11-16, 10:39 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kitlz
The thread has been moved.

Emily, do both. The coating will protect from environmental fallout while the clear bra prevents rock chips. And some coatings can be applied on top of it. I have XPEL clear bra on the front including the pillars and area before the pano roof. 3M is also good but I wanted to try XPEL. It comes with a longer 10 year warranty too. Then last month I applied two coats of 22PLE HPC which should last 3-4 years. It was the first time I tried a coating but very easy to use. It's the prep part that's a pain.
could you explain what you did for the prep part?

also, why did you choose 22ple? And what are the benefits of applying it over xpel?

thanks
Old 08-11-16, 11:54 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 172 Likes on 146 Posts

Not a short list. Here's what I did:
  1. Rinse vehicle to remove loose dirt.
  2. Use foam cannon to pre-soak. Rinse thoroughly.
  3. Spray with Sonax Fallout Cleaner (excluding XPEL) and rinse thoroughly.
  4. Wash and rinse.
  5. Clay with Nanoskin and Glide (excluding XPEL).
  6. Rinse and dry.
  7. Apply XPEL Cleaner to the clear bra.
  8. Apply Megs 205 by hand to the rest of the vehicle.
  9. Wash again (instead of IPA wipe down) to remove oils and dry.
  10. Apply first coat of 22PLE HPC including XPEL. Let sit for 12 hours. Do not wash or get wet.
  11. Apply second coat of 22PLE HPC.
  12. After four hours, apply a thin coat of 22PLE VS1 Final Coat, wiping away excess.
  13. Stand back and enjoy
The vehicle should not be washed or exposed to the elements for another 24 hours. 22PLE fully cures in five days.

One thing to mention, my 450h was only two months old at the time but the contamination, wow! Even the chrome was filthy. The 'shelf' on the doors and tailgate and immediately below were the worst. I did a lot of research before deciding on which coating to use including those only available through professional detailers. For me, I wasn't crazy about spending more money after just purchasing my 450h so DIY made more sense. It came down to ease of application, longevity and cost in addition to reviews. And Zach, our resident detailing expert here, let me know it was fine to apply 22PLE to XPEL. It also needs to be protected from the elements. Or you can use their Sealant after the Cleaner.

Not the best but here's a picture of the hood covered by XPEL and 22PLE after driving through the rain.
Attached Thumbnails Spinoff: Protective Film or Ceramic Coating?-img_0405.jpg  
Old 08-11-16, 12:41 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kitlz
Not a short list. Here's what I did:
  1. Rinse vehicle to remove loose dirt.
  2. Use foam cannon to pre-soak. Rinse thoroughly.
  3. Spray with Sonax Fallout Cleaner (excluding XPEL) and rinse thoroughly.
  4. Wash and rinse.
  5. Clay with Nanoskin and Glide (excluding XPEL).
  6. Rinse and dry.
  7. Apply XPEL Cleaner to the clear bra.
  8. Apply Megs 205 by hand to the rest of the vehicle.
  9. Wash again (instead of IPA wipe down) to remove oils and dry.
  10. Apply first coat of 22PLE HPC including XPEL. Let sit for 12 hours. Do not wash or get wet.
  11. Apply second coat of 22PLE HPC.
  12. After four hours, apply a thin coat of 22PLE VS1 Final Coat, wiping away excess.
  13. Stand back and enjoy
The vehicle should not be washed or exposed to the elements for another 24 hours. 22PLE fully cures in five days.

One thing to mention, my 450h was only two months old at the time but the contamination, wow! Even the chrome was filthy. The 'shelf' on the doors and tailgate and immediately below were the worst. I did a lot of research before deciding on which coating to use including those only available through professional detailers. For me, I wasn't crazy about spending more money after just purchasing my 450h so DIY made more sense. It came down to ease of application, longevity and cost in addition to reviews. And Zach, our resident detailing expert here, let me know it was fine to apply 22PLE to XPEL. It also needs to be protected from the elements. Or you can use their Sealant after the Cleaner.

Not the best but here's a picture of the hood covered by XPEL and 22PLE after driving through the rain.
OH baby! Thank you! I was confused on this part:

Apply Megs 205 Polish and then wash again? So, you apply polish to remove any scratches etc so it's a uniform surface. Then you wash the car with soap and water , dry, THEN it should be ready for the 22ple? I'm asking because I have a small scratch. I keep buffing the polish until the scratch goes away? Because simply applying wax to it makes it go away.

Also, I'm trying to do so much research why 22ple HPC? I know there are other 22ple products as well as CCQuartz UK? 22ple HPC was your final choice?

Old 08-11-16, 01:54 PM
Curryolla
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Darn...I didn't notice there were two threads on coatings!?!?!

Ummm...should we combine these, kitlz, aznkorboi? https://www.clublexus.com/forums/aut...act-steps.html

Last edited by Curryolla; 08-11-16 at 02:16 PM.
Old 08-11-16, 02:29 PM
bwsteg
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Paint correction whether minor or major is required prior to applying any ceramic coating.

With my 15, I only had Xpel paint protection film installed on the entire front end.

With the 16, I decided to do the film (Suntek this time) and have it coated as well since I didn't want to deal with sealing the car every 4 months or so.
Old 08-15-16, 06:07 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Remember there is also a sticky here in the Detailing Section with tons of info on nano coatings...

Everything You Need to Know About Paint Coatings

As always, if you have any specific questions, I am happy to help.

-Zach