Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

dirty headliner

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-03, 10:12 AM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default dirty headliner

Somebody put their grubby hands on my headliner for some reason.

Why do that?? Anyway, what should I do? Dab it with water or use some soap? I just need to get these spots out. Any recommendations helpful.
Old 05-09-03, 10:24 AM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Headliner is tricky, as many cleaners have solvents which, if they penetrate the fabric can cause the adhesive to dissolve or the foam backing to degrade and the headliner will droop.

Use one of the "Dry Clean" aerosols availabe at Auto Stores, like Blue Coral Dri-Clean Carpet and Upholstery Cleaner, or a product like 303 Rug / Upholstery Cleaner & Spot Remover (Get this at marine stores).

Spray on the surface and let it sit several seconds. Avoid soaking and harsh scrubbing. Dampen a coarse cloth or sponge or very soft brush and rub gently, but briskly to remove soil. Immediately wipe away remaining foam with a clean, dry cloth. After drying, restore texture to fabric with a soft bristled brush, brushing gently in one direction.