Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Meguiars DACP, safe and easy to use?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-03, 06:05 PM
HKGS300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Meguiars DACP, safe and easy to use?

I was looking for a product to get rid of my swirls and some minor scratches on my black GS300 and was first looking for 3M Perfect-ItIII Machine Glaze. I already have the 3M waffle pads and a bottle of Perfect-It™ Foam Polishing Pad Glaze.
Since the shop did not have thisPI-III Machine Glaze, I settled for Meguiars Dual Action Cleaner/Polish. I remember hearing some good things about this product as well.

Some questions. I do not have a lot of experience using a Rotary, used it for a couple of times, but is the DACP safe to use on the non-clear coat black GS300? Any good tips?

Thanks
Alex
Old 05-11-03, 06:12 PM
GA400
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default you could check on autopia also

Alex,

I am sure you will get some good feedback here, but you could also look at www.autopia.org I have picked up some very good advice there. I used 3-M Perfect it on my swirl marks. It helped, but my paint has some heavy acid rain etching that it didn't help. I will have to get a true rotary buffer to fix that, I am afraid.

oops, had wrong url before, fixed now. sorry for the confusion

Last edited by GA400; 05-12-03 at 04:36 AM.
Old 05-11-03, 10:43 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Although I have no personal experience witht he Meguair's DACP, (I use 3M stuff, including the Perfect-It III Machine Glaze) I am familiar with it and It can certainly be used with a rotary, pretty much anything CAN actually. However, no compound is really "safe" if you misuse a rotary buffer, or are inexperienced. If you feel you can proceed carefully, the DACP will work similarly to the Macine Glaze, and you should be able to get your swirls under control. I would work the DACP until there is almost none left- buff until the area is almost dry. This isalso how I use the 3M Machine Glaze. A waffle pad is also excellent for swirl removal.

Also, spur the pad clean with a nylon brush (for a foam pad) or use another pad as soon as it loads up, or you'll lose the abrasive/ polishing abilities of the DACP, and have a mess of residue also. This applies to most polishes actually.

Best advice I can give you is;

... keep the RPM's low enough-speed is NOT your friend here. 1000-1200 RPM will suffice, and when you are making your last passes with the buffer, as the polish almost disappears-SLOW it down to a crawl (works only if you have a variable speed) as this will really help with swirls. If you just polish away at high speed and finish with high speed and a loaded up pad, you can actually wind up with WORSE swirling than you started with. You want to finish with an almost hand-like slow speed, barely running. Good luck.

P.S.Ditto on the Autopia link, good site.
Old 05-11-03, 10:47 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Forgot to mention-any polish intended for clearcoat will work fine for today's single stage colors. They're both urethane enamel, the only difference is the cars with a clear topcoat have have no pigment in theirs.

Same exact chemical makeup though.