Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Washing towels - recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-03 | 09:39 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Default Washing towels - recommendations?

I have dedicated car wash towels that get one use, then I wash 'em. I don't have the micro-fiber ones yet (need to get some), these are just quality cotton towels.

My usual cycle is Tide with bleach alternative, heavy wash with a second rinse cycle. If the towels are especially dirty or greasy I'll use either Clorox II or real bleach. Dry the towels using Bounce sheets.

Last time I was washing them I thought "I wonder if the stuff I'm using to wash these leaves a residue on the towels or keeps them from drying effectively?".

You car wash gurus have any thoughts on this topic? Anything particularly bad to use on car towels?
Old 05-12-03 | 11:10 AM
tomtnc
Pole Position

I asked our associate "Dave the Detailer" about this some time ago and he told me that a good washing machine with a functional rinse cycle eliminates any over-the-counter detergent residue very nicely Even If there were minute amounts of detergent left in the rag, they would be diluted to the point of insignificance in the wash bucket. BTW he did tell me to use a large wash bucket and fill it full of water/soap solution to minimize the % dirt that accumulates in the wash soution

On a related subject: I personally use cotton baby diapers as wash rags because they don't "hold" dirt and they are extremely soft (soft is key). Anything good enough for a baby's bottom is good enough for my Lexus
Old 05-12-03 | 11:49 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Washing towels - recommendations?

Originally posted by DaveGS4
Dry the towels using Bounce sheets.
I think this is your only downfall. Dryer sheets do leave a residue on the towels, and it will transfer to teh surface of your car. I speak from experience. Me - wash with detergent, extra rinse, hot air dry - no softener.
Old 05-12-03 | 06:46 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

These are towels for washing...or drying? or both?
Old 05-12-03 | 07:18 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Daddy-O, use them for drying only. I usually use a clean California blade to get most of the water off, then get the last bits with a towel.

Edit Tom, I recall reading somewhere that diapers were not good for use on cars... I'm sure one of the guys here will chip in on that topic as well.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 05-12-03 at 07:20 PM.
Old 05-12-03 | 08:02 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

As long as the towels are 100% cotton, you should be OK. Dex is correct, though, lose the fabric softener. Every few washes, run them through a second cycle in the machine with no detergent at all. Truly clean with no residue at all.

Next time you get an AOL CD in the mail, pull it out of the package and rub any of your towels against it in straight line, then examine the CD for scratches.

I've just moved to Waffle Weave MF towels for drying. I picked up Pakshak and Autopia brands, Both are great. Soft and absorbent. I use them to blot the water and then a quick swipe with a plush MF towel and ba-da-bing...all done. Microfiber towels must be laundered separately from other items. They will pick up any lint inthe wash water. I have over 70 MF towels right now. It pays to have several, so you always have one when you need it, and they don't have to be laundered as often. Take a look at pakshak.com when you're ready to order.

tomtnc, leave the diapers for the baby.

When washing, you need to use something with a high pile, so any dirt on the surface will migrate into the pile and away from the paint. A diaper will not allow this. Some people like sheepskin mitts. I've tried them, but they take so long to dry.

I highly recommend 100% cotton chenille wash mitts. These can be tossed in the washer/dryer when done. One mitt for the roof, hood, windows and sides...For the grillework, bumpers and below, I use another mitt.

I keep four, so I always have at least two ready to go anytime I need them. Perhaps you may win the two I'm bringing for the at the Maggie Valley event. See you there.

Good luck.
Old 05-13-03 | 12:41 PM
tomtnc
Pole Position

Great info, Daddy-O. Thanks!
Old 05-14-03 | 04:29 PM
SCRUFFDOGG
Lexus Champion

I'll second everything Daddy said, get those MF towels from pakshak, you will not be disappointed.
Old 06-06-03 | 10:21 PM
SergeDubovsky
Driver School Candidate

Did you guys ever heard about Big Blue Towel? It's huge waffle microfiber towel. I think this thing can hold like a gallon of water. Amazing stuff.
Old 06-09-03 | 12:48 AM
B-Lexusfan
Rookie

Thanks for the helpful info and for the link Daddy-O !