Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Got Keyed

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-16, 08:24 AM
Yurka
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Got Keyed

So today i had a class, 8-9 am before going to the dealership to get my brakes done. After the class i came out to see that both rear and front passenger side doors are keyed pretty badly. Someone went pretty deep, sealant, paint, base coat are all gone throughout the door. I want to cover it up asap so the metal under the paint does not rust with time nor get lots of exposure. At the dealership I know a really nice guy, he said they can do it of course, but the quality of work will suck, the guy that comes in to do touch ups and paint related stuff is pretty bad so its not worth the money. Anybody can suggest where i can get a touch up paint because last time i got it from Toyota for my white RX , i used a code from the driver's door but it didnt match, this time its a black rx, so it has to blend nicely because everything stands out way more on a black car, any suggestions?

TIA
Old 09-14-16, 09:03 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Sorry to hear, mate!
Time to go to a body shop and getting an insurance claim started. That'll cost you and arm and a leg to fix because touch-up paint won't get the job done.

Any Lexus dealer should have the touch-up paint in stock, if you decide to go that route.
Old 09-14-16, 09:26 AM
Yurka
Intermediate

They don't, i already asked. Can i file an insurance claim when i get keyed, would i need a police report?

Last edited by Yurka; 09-14-16 at 09:50 AM.
Old 09-14-16, 11:14 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Yurka
They don't, i already asked. Can i file an insurance claim when i get keyed, would i need a police report?
That will go under comprehensive coverage rather than collision in case of an accident. No need for a police report. Just call your insurance agent/company.
Old 09-14-16, 11:41 AM
Yurka
Intermediate

Alright, but would they hike up my insurance?
Old 09-14-16, 11:46 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Yurka
Alright, but would they hike up my insurance?
Depends on your insurance company, your driving record, claim history, credit history, location, etc.
Talk to your insurance agent. The increase likely will be far less than the damage repairs.
Old 09-14-16, 12:03 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

What is your deductible?

My old IS250 got keyed and it was around $1500 to repaint 2 doors. Call and talk to your insurance agent. They should be able to tell you if filing a claim will raise your rates or not.
Old 09-14-16, 02:17 PM
Yurka
Intermediate

clean record, full coverage with geico, $500 deduc and other than my previous car involved in a hit and run(car was parked by my house, someone smashed into me, when i came outside in a few hours my front has been missing, insurance covered the repairs since it wasnt my fault whatsoever) no claim history.
Old 09-15-16, 01:44 PM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Sorry to see this.. FYI in case you decide to try the "touch-up" route before getting it fixed try these guys. http://www.automotivetouchup.com/

I've bought touch up paint from them in past and the match was perfect. Good luck.
Old 09-18-16, 09:54 AM
Yurka
Intermediate

I ordered a touch up from Lexus by VIN number, so the match should be 100%i will see a guy at the shop this weekend to do the estimate, if its worth involving insurance, as to if the estimate will be higher than my deductible and my insurance won't go up ill do that, if not will have to settle for a touch up cuz honestly don't have extra cash lump to throw away right now
Old 09-18-16, 11:24 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Can you post some pics?. What about asking the school if there are any video camera's or records of other keyed cars. Some things can be buffed out but not anything that scratched down to the paint the paint/primer. Your deductible is likely at least $500 so it is going to end up costing you at least $500 to fix getting some keyed damage fixed and your insurance premiums may go up too. Problem is you will still be going to a school/class for a little while where people are keying cars or someone is targeting you specifically for some reason which may mean the same thing might happen again. If I were you I would just do touchup for now, if you can tape off around the damage, apply touchup as light and even with the surface as you can and try lightly wetsanding it down and blending it in with the rest of the finish you can get some good results. You will then need to compound and polish the sanding haze out. You can get pretty good to even very good results from this. Watch some videos. White won't be as bad as a metallic or flake color. Later on when you are not parking at that school anymore you can decide if you really need to get it painted, you may get into a fender bender in the mean time and the keyed part may get re painted anyway.
Old 09-21-16, 09:46 AM
F250
Lead Lap

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

If you're looking at two doors, a complete spray and blend will certainly exceed your $500 deductible by a large margin. Even paying someone for touch up on something like that will probably break the $500 mark as well.