Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Bird poop etching

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-16, 08:21 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Just a stupid question. What would happen if a normal plastic bottle that say sulfuric or phosphoric acid came in was filled with the nastiest clear coat etching bird poop ever, would it eat through it? Or even etch it? If not why in this modern age do we still have paints or clears or even special waxes that allow this to happen?
Old 01-05-17, 03:15 PM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by GhostCar
Get it off your paint the moment you see it. Not over the weekend. Not tomorrow. NOW. The longer you let it sit there, especially baking in the sun, the worse it will eat through the layers of clear and paint. I've seen bird droppings permanently etch paint after only 48 hours NOT sitting in the blazing sun. That stuff is pure concentrated evil!
agreed. i keep a bottle of ammonia-free glass cleaner in my trunk along with a microfiber towel. as soon as i see bird crap on my paint i immediately spray the glass cleaner on the spot in order to immediately neutralize the acidity of the bird crap until i can get it to a car wash. and i DO NOT use a cloth to wipe it. wait until you can wash it off with water. if you rub it with a cloth - even a microfiber cloth - the abrasiveness of the bird crap will probably scratch the paint. it's like rubbing sandpaper on your car paint. hence, spray to neutralize until you can properly touchless wash the spot.

Armor All® Auto Glass Cleaner

Ammonia-free! Safe on auto glass!

http://www.armorall.com/products/gla...-glass-cleaner
Old 01-30-17, 06:10 PM
tpavdub
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bird poop and love bugs...the kiss of death in Florida