Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Driver's Side Leather Seat

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-16, 11:42 AM
BP1203
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver's Side Leather Seat

Love my wife's 2012 RX-I'll keep this car for 300,000 miles (only 50k on the clock now.

However, the driver's side seat is cracking more than I think it should be for a four and a half year old car. See the pictures.
I've used leather cleaner/conditioner, don't beat it up, just seems strange how much cracking there is...she had a 9 year old Camry and it wasn't this worn...
Attached Thumbnails Driver's Side Leather Seat-img_3283.jpg   Driver's Side Leather Seat-img_3284.jpg  
Old 11-01-16, 12:28 PM
Golden95SC
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nothing you can do about the leather wearing really, just use good leather cleaners and conditioners to keep it soft and clean to ensure long life. Chemical guys products are by far the best I have ever used. Even better than meguires/armoral/turtle wax
Old 11-01-16, 05:31 PM
BP1203
Rookie

I've been using Lexol leather cleaner/conditioner.
Old 11-02-16, 12:05 AM
Golden95SC
Lead Lap

Interesting, I urge you to try the chemical guys products. You will see for yourself the quality of their products.
Old 11-02-16, 11:09 AM
dat dude
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Golden95SC
Nothing you can do about the leather wearing really, just use good leather cleaners and conditioners to keep it soft and clean to ensure long life. Chemical guys products are by far the best I have ever used. Even better than meguires/armoral/turtle wax
+1 I also use CG guys stuff exclusively on my cars too, their leather cleaners and conditioners are quite good although I prefer the "Leather Serum" to the Leather Conditioner.
Old 11-04-16, 02:00 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,157 Likes on 987 Posts

Mine looked that bad with Parchment and I used the Leather Renew kit to literally re-paint the seats. They turned out great, just like their photos and have held up over a year later. I first did my RX then did the side bolsters on my HS. http://www.leatherrenew.com/beforeAfter.php

We discussed further in the RX third generation forum where some other members also used it with successful results.

This is the kit I used as I was not about to spray paint inside my vehicle http://www.leatherrenew.com/details.php?prodId=41
Old 11-11-16, 06:04 PM
imind
Rookie

Originally Posted by BP1203
Love my wife's 2012 RX-I'll keep this car for 300,000 miles (only 50k on the clock now.

However, the driver's side seat is cracking more than I think it should be for a four and a half year old car. See the pictures.
I've used leather cleaner/conditioner, don't beat it up, just seems strange how much cracking there is...she had a 9 year old Camry and it wasn't this worn...
i just spent about an hour+ reading the "lexus leather" thread on this forum linked here...the very last pages of it, and there are far too many pages, sum it up with the very last post linking to this auto detailing forum. what it all boils down to is that leather products, at least for contemporary auto seats, unless ultra high-end (and sometimes even then) are useless. modern car seats are finished with urethane which is essentially a plastic bonded to the leather. this is what your treating, NOT the leather. the best cleaning/conditioning for leather seats is a fine distilled water spray and wipe down with a damp %100 cotton rag. this cleans the seat of dirt and oils and keeps the leather properly hydrated (water vapor can permeate the urethane). its this dehydration that causes the leather to shrink, allowing for microscopic gaps between it and the urethane, causing cracks.

there are mentions in that thread of using woolite to clean the seats, and some even say the lexus manual suggests using it. this same detailing site states not to here.

i'm NOT a leather expert...but i've spent too much time reading this crap now to avoid at least trying it. i have similar "creases" in my drivers side 08 gs350. hope this works for you.

edited to add: and now i just read on another detailing forum that highly recommends a leatherique product that claims will penetrate the leather...whatever, this is BS and i'm tired of reading conflicting information. this is science, after all, there should be a definitive answer!

Last edited by imind; 11-11-16 at 06:31 PM.