Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

CQuartz Finest on wheels

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-16, 10:02 AM
jincuteguy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CQuartz Finest on wheels

So I just contacted a Detailer in my local San Diego area and he is a Cquartz Finest Installer / Authorizer (Lux Auto Spa, guy name is Nolan). I even looked it up on CarPro to see if they're on their list for CQuartz Finest, and they are.

I want to coat my wheels surface only with CQuartz Finest. And he said he can do it for $100 (all 4 wheels), just the faces of the wheels. And he said it takes 3 hours to finish.
And I asked him if I can watch him do it, and he said no due to insurance policy he can't have ppl in the garage area where he detail the car cause of the fume toxic.

What is fume toxic he's talking about? is this true? or is he lying to me just so I can't watch him do it? I just wanan watch him do it to make sure he actually put the CQuartz Finest coating on the wheels instead of using another product. What do you guys think? Do you guys think I should do it?
Old 11-07-16, 02:56 PM
lugnutz16
Driver School Candidate

I don't know about the entire procedure for the CQuartz Finest application or toxic fumes, but I did have my entire car protected. My local detailer applied CQuartz to the paint, lights, mirrors, glass, grills and wheels. The whole car looks great, and the dirt and brake dust is greatly reduced and easily washed off. I would definitely recommend it.

As far as trusting your detailer, well that is for you to decide. My detailer said that for CQuartz Finest, they have to open a new bottle/kit for each car. They have individual serial numbers that are used for warranty purposes. That is why he does all surfaces of the car when applying it. I don't know if your detailer would be using material leftover from another job, or if he would just be applying the regular consumer CQuartz product.
Old 11-07-16, 03:07 PM
jincuteguy
Driver

He will be using the left over from the Cquartz Finest bottle that he used to coat my entire car couple weeks ago.
Old 11-07-16, 06:02 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Finest has a very strong odor, and for safety the installer (and anyone in the area) should be wearing a respirator. If the product is going to be applied via airbrush or HVLP, it is even more important for the installer to protect himself from airborne product. I will not allow customers into the shop while we are coating or polishing either due to health risks associated with polishing dust & chemicals.

As far as applying leftover Finest to wheels, that is common. As @lugnutz16 mentioned, each bottle is serialized, which means for warranty purposes it can only be used on one vehicle. This is traditionally only for the paint coating. CQuartz Finest will not have the same warranty when applied to wheel surfaces, so again, using leftover Finest on wheels is a common practice. Nothing to be concerned about.

FWIW - $100 is the same price we charge to do wheel faces only ($350 when removing wheels for deep cleaning and coating of entire wheel).
Old 11-10-16, 08:40 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Once the wheels are coated, what is normally used to clean the rims? Would a wheel cleaner like P21S or Sonax full effect still be considered safe for the coating?
Old 11-10-16, 12:05 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

You should just need soap and water..... but a pH neutral wheel cleaner will not harm the coating.
Old 11-10-16, 08:39 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
You should just need soap and water..... but a pH neutral wheel cleaner will not harm the coating.
Thanks! That's what I figured, but its better to ask first than be pissed off later. haha