Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

22ple HPC on self healing paint

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-16, 04:51 PM
integroid
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 22ple HPC on self healing paint

Hey Guys, what are your thoughts on using HPC on a new Lexus that has self healing paint? I am getting so many mixed reviews on doing this. Sone saying no coatings to no abrasive cleaners or polishes. Would the process be the same as any other paint if it can be used on the self healing paint? Thanks!
Old 11-10-16, 07:01 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

I doubt you will find the "self healing paint" to be useful in the real world.... it seems that 99% of owners that have discussed this in the past have not noticed any real world benefit to the supposed self healing effect.

Every car I have seen with an anti-scratch paint (Nissan) or self-healing paint (Lexus) will still swirl and scratch no differently than "normal" paint... therefore I have had no issues treating these special paints no differently than any other paint. Correct & Protect them like normal is what I say.
Old 11-10-16, 07:40 PM
integroid
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Zach....that is what I figured. I have been following you for years on DI......thanks for all the knowledge you share with so many different communities.

I actually purchased the HPC coating after I read your reviews on the 22ple products. I have used the old Opti Coat along with cQuartz on many cars. I like the cQuartz but thought it was a little bit or a pain to apply and the last car I coated only lasted about a year. That could have been completely my fault but I was still dissapointed. I do love the carpro essence and have been using that on pretty much all of the cars I detail. I am just a hobbyist and only detail cars for friends and family members. I think I will be using my white pad with essence and then coat it with the HPC. Something in my order was backordered so it looks like I will have to wait another week before I can begin. I did clay the car and de-ironed it and was shocked at how much iron was on the vertical flat surfaces for a brand new car.

Anyway, thanks again for your help!
Old 11-12-16, 04:45 PM
jincuteguy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by integroid
Thanks Zach....that is what I figured. I have been following you for years on DI......thanks for all the knowledge you share with so many different communities.

I actually purchased the HPC coating after I read your reviews on the 22ple products. I have used the old Opti Coat along with cQuartz on many cars. I like the cQuartz but thought it was a little bit or a pain to apply and the last car I coated only lasted about a year. That could have been completely my fault but I was still dissapointed. I do love the carpro essence and have been using that on pretty much all of the cars I detail. I am just a hobbyist and only detail cars for friends and family members. I think I will be using my white pad with essence and then coat it with the HPC. Something in my order was backordered so it looks like I will have to wait another week before I can begin. I did clay the car and de-ironed it and was shocked at how much iron was on the vertical flat surfaces for a brand new car.

Anyway, thanks again for your help!
How is the 22ple HPC easier to apply than Cquartz? Don't you still have to polish and prep the car before putting on the 22ple HPC coating?
Old 11-12-16, 04:58 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

The prep work is the same, but every coating will vary in terms of actual application.

HPC is among the easiest of coatings to apply (all 22ple products are very easy). The things that make it easier than CQuartz is that HPC wipes away cleanly and easier than CQuartz, therefore reducing the amount of wiping and increasing the odds of you having a perfectly clear finish. CQuartz & CQuartz UK can be a little finicky to apply, with CQUK being the more difficult of the two.
Old 11-12-16, 08:02 PM
integroid
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, when I used CQUK, I had some spots that did not wipe down completely and I couldnt tell until it was too late.....meaning I had to re-polish the area and re-apply the coating. The prep and polish is the same....just the ease of application of the coating is different between the products.