Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Xpel?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-03, 11:20 AM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Xpel?

How many GS Owners have xpel? How good is it really? Can you tell you have it on?I heard some one say they didnt like how it was put on, is it visible? any body have pics? thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!! oh and how well will it work on black?
Old 05-20-03, 11:45 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

mumbles has Xpel on his black GS. See if you can get him to reply in this thread.
Old 05-20-03, 11:46 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,238 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Lexism,

Do a search on Xpel and you'll find a bunch of prior threads about it!

Here are a couple I found with a quick search:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...highlight=xpel
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...highlight=xpel

I looked at Mumbles Xpel and it's a clean install. It isn't apparent from a distance but still is quite noticable up close. I decided just to get my hood and front bumper repainted on my black 98 - and get them repainted again should I get a new bunch of chips.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 05-20-03 at 11:54 AM.
Old 05-20-03, 12:04 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It is not invisible but pretty close. It depends what you want to do with the car. If you want a show car with the best shine and paint consistency, then no, don't put it on. It behaves differently on different colors. The ones on the bumper are harder to see. The piece on the hood is pretty visible if you know to look for it.

Depending on the light, you won't see it in passing. I mention lighting because the material has different reflective properties than the paint. The shine will be different at the covered area vs. the non-covered area. I'm not trying to scare you away from it. I drive 40 mi each way to work with lots of bugs hitting the car. I've noticed chips in the covered area completely reduced (as advertised). Cleaning the bugs off the affected area is also a breeze.

I have the complete Xpel kit installed, including the headlights. I chose the greatly increase convenience and protection over a little reduction of looks. I actually don't think it looks bad but I know some people like to have their car pristine. I can see that point-of-view but i just don't need it for my car.

I see you are in CA. Are you going to the Carson meet? At least a few of us that are coming will have different levels on Xpel installation. You'll be able to see it first hand on a few different color cars.

Hope this helped.
Old 05-20-03, 01:08 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i have xpel headlight kits on my gs4, and i am putting on xpel on my is3 all around, it's really good stuff and i don't tikn it will be that noticeable at all. if you want i can get you good prices
Old 05-20-03, 03:06 PM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Thanks

Thanks alot guys the info is very helpful, I really appreciate it , Im thinking of repainting my front end due to chips on a black car, but then I think of all the chips that I'll get again. and yes I hope to be at the meet. I live on Long beach, but I have a wedding to go to that day, so I have to go early I really want to see what the xpel looks like

Last edited by LEXISM; 05-20-03 at 03:08 PM.
Old 05-20-03, 05:19 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Thanks

Originally posted by LEXISM
Im thinking of repainting my front end due to chips on a black car
That is exactly what I did. The problem is that the paint needs at least a month to fully cure. If you put Xpel on too soon, you may risk paint peel when taking it off. I had a problem with part of my install so when the film got peeled back, the paint went with it. I had to repaint that part. I let it cure for 2 months and had it re-applied.

It's a trade off. You risk getting some chips (and then touch it up) but you have a better chance with peeling the Xpel off. OR you go for it and hope the installation is a perfect as you'd like. After the part that was "bad", I decided to ignore the minor issues with the other parts.
Old 05-21-03, 06:32 AM
Deanski
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint Protection

I've done some research on this and find that ArmorGlove seems to be a better option.

Why you ask? The hood area can be wrapped from side to side, so you do not see the seam, and they can cover up to 26" up the hood as well.

Pretty much same product, but theirs comes from the European market.

Look at their website:

ArmorGlove

Then make your choice.

Regards,
Deanski