Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

HELP! Grime, Dirt, Bug Splat

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-17, 07:49 AM
Handi
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

nathantse, first give your car a good wash and waxing or a sealant. Then when you have a issue with bird dropping or what ever you can easily clean it up.
I used some Zymol products and they gave a product called "detailed" that works perfect, other manufactures I'm sure have something just like it. But you spray it on the spot and give it a minute or two to soak in and just softly wipe it off the car and then use a second towel to wipe the area clean.
This allows me to do a good cleaning and wax once a year and cleaning small spots (seems like every other day or so) keeps up the shine on the paint.
Find yourself a system of products and get started.
Good Luck

PS, you mean the free car wash that my dealer offers could scratch my paint?
You get what you pay for, correct?
Old 02-04-17, 12:16 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Handi
nathantse, first give your car a good wash and waxing or a sealant. Then when you have a issue with bird dropping or what ever you can easily clean it up.
I used some Zymol products and they gave a product called "detailed" that works perfect, other manufactures I'm sure have something just like it. But you spray it on the spot and give it a minute or two to soak in and just softly wipe it off the car and then use a second towel to wipe the area clean.
This allows me to do a good cleaning and wax once a year and cleaning small spots (seems like every other day or so) keeps up the shine on the paint.
Find yourself a system of products and get started.
Good Luck

PS, you mean the free car wash that my dealer offers could scratch my paint?
You get what you pay for, correct?
Think you misread what I'm looking for.

For quick detailing and waxing, I have the products.

I'm trying to looking for a product that I can spray onto a DIRTY a$$ car with grime, tar, etc., then use a pressure washer to rinse. Because, I don't have access to my normal routine washing equipment at my apartment, cause I have two living spaces; an apartment and a house.

I work at a Lexus Dealer so I have access to their car washing equipment. Pressure washer, soap, mitts, etc. However, we all know the dealer car wash will scratch the paint. And since I work there, I know for a fact that they do NOT keep their equipment clean. There are sand, debris, etc on all the wash buckets and mitts. The only thing I find useful is their pressure washer, but I need a spray on product to loosen all the grime and such before I can blast it off.

Zach mentioned APC, so I'm guessing this may be the best product I'm looking for.
Old 02-04-17, 02:05 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

You're completely safe with using the D101 on any surface of the car. Like Zach, this has been our go-to product for an APC. Use it on everything from exterior to carpet extractor, etc. No harsh side effects at all. Definitely will not eat the clearcoat, whoever said that, are you kidding me.
Old 02-04-17, 02:09 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
You're completely safe with using the D101 on any surface of the car. Like Zach, this has been our go-to product for an APC. Use it on everything from exterior to carpet extractor, etc. No harsh side effects at all. Definitely will not eat the clearcoat, whoever said that, are you kidding me.
I read it on Amazon reviews as well as detailing and meg's forums that it could be bad for paint. Or not recommended. It will def strip wax, which is a good thing since I plan to re-wax soon.

But, I trust you guys! =D
Old 02-15-17, 12:27 AM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

So after further research, I went with the Optimum Power Clean. Just ordered 1 Gal for $35.

I read a lot that its safe for paint, and seen some demo videos on youtube. Anyone else had experience with OPC for bug/grime ?
Old 02-15-17, 06:29 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

OPC works quite well.

It is versatile for exterior and interior cleaning.
Old 02-15-17, 11:21 AM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
OPC works quite well.

It is versatile for exterior and interior cleaning.
Yup! I've read that 3:1 dilution is good for almost everything exterior. 10:1 for interior. Some even would use it undiluted for heavier work.

I'll give this a try and see how it attacks road grime, bugs, etc.
Old 03-03-17, 09:51 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Just got around to using my OPC. I got a diluted bottle of 3:1 for exterior.

Is it more safe and effective to spray on a wet surface or a dry surface? This is for using on paint..
Old 03-04-17, 06:18 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Well if you spray it on a wet surface you are further diluting the chemical... so if you want maximum cleaning power, spray it on a dry surface.
The following users liked this post:
nathantse (03-04-17)