Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Cleaning Leather seats and treating them????

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-03, 03:45 PM
MrRX300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cleaning Leather seats and treating them????

Hi all, just curious as to anyone can give me some helpful advice on what is the best cleaner and leather
treatment type to use on the Tan leather seats in my RX300 and how often to use it Etc...etc....????

Any links or info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

MIKE
Old 05-27-03, 05:57 PM
RX300-BV
Lead Lap

Our dealership mentioned that standard leather furniture cleaner will work fine. You probably would want to condition and clean the leather about once every two to three months.
Old 05-27-03, 06:23 PM
Sully C5er
Rookie

We use Zaino leather products on our Vette...works great. http://www.zainobros.com/ We plan on using it on the RX 330.

Last edited by Sully C5er; 05-27-03 at 06:24 PM.
Old 05-27-03, 07:04 PM
gsenthil
Pole Position

Lexol and Hide Care/Food for cleaning and conditioning respectively. Do a search for more info
Old 05-27-03, 11:24 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

I try my best to keep my leather seats and steering wheel from looking shiny and oily (and dirty). I try to clean/treat them as rarely as possible and keep them as clean as possible in the meantime.

When cleaning is necessary I use a somewhat harsh cleaner, usually 409, to make sure the seat is clean. I will then immediately use Zaion's Leather in a Bottle. Smells and works great. This keeps the seats from looking shiny protects from the sun and 409!

I spray the 409 on the seat and spread it out by hand, let it sit for a few seconds, then wipe off with a cotton cloth. For the Zaino, it's similar. I put some on the seat, spread it out, then wipe with a clean cotton cloth. I spread it out to let the leater soak for a second then try to wipe what will come off. I'm serious about keeping the shiny/oily look off my leather. I hate it! That's why I use leather conditioners sparingly.
Old 05-28-03, 09:20 AM
Packet88
Rookie

Default huh 409?

Originally posted by LexRX
I try my best to keep my leather seats and steering wheel from looking shiny and oily (and dirty). I try to clean/treat them as rarely as possible and keep them as clean as possible in the meantime.

When cleaning is necessary I use a somewhat harsh cleaner, usually 409, to make sure the seat is clean. I will then immediately use Zaion's Leather in a Bottle. Smells and works great. This keeps the seats from looking shiny protects from the sun and 409!

I spray the 409 on the seat and spread it out by hand, let it sit for a few seconds, then wipe off with a cotton cloth. For the Zaino, it's similar. I put some on the seat, spread it out, then wipe with a clean cotton cloth. I spread it out to let the leater soak for a second then try to wipe what will come off. I'm serious about keeping the shiny/oily look off my leather. I hate it! That's why I use leather conditioners sparingly.
You mean 409 would eat or crack the leather in the long run? That's a pretty harsh chemical for leather isn't it?
Old 05-28-03, 09:25 AM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

No, I don't think it will do any harm in the long run, the way I use it. I use it mainly for cleaning purposes. I don't expect to ever see any damage from 409 becuse I always follow up with a leather conditioner.
Old 06-04-03, 11:50 PM
TTEHarrier
Rookie

I use Lexol.
Old 06-05-03, 12:18 PM
Yankees Diva
Lexus Test Driver

Lexol is good i personally prefer Meguiars though. u can get them at any auto place or like walmart carries there stuff too, and sometimes has good sales!! try it.

heres the website to look at there products.
http://www.meguiars.com/whatsnew/whatsnew_template.cfm

~ Stella
Old 06-10-03, 04:39 PM
MrRX300
Driver School Candidate

Default thanks for the info guys

Hey all thanks for the info and tips.
If anyone cares to add any comments or other suggestions please feel free.

thanks...mike
Old 06-21-03, 01:04 PM
Pilot
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use both Lexol and Meguiars. The Meguiars is both a cleaner and conditioner. Lexol has been well known to be one of the top leather treatments for years. Can't go wrong with either.

Pilot
91 LS400
01 RX 300
Old 06-23-03, 04:27 AM
Maeve
Instructor

Default Re: Cleaning Leather seats and treating them????

Originally posted by MrRX300
Hi all, just curious as to anyone can give me some helpful advice on what is the best cleaner and leather
treatment type to use on the Tan leather seats in my RX300 and how often to use it Etc...etc....????

Any links or info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

MIKE
Check out this link: http://www.cureline.net/lex/howtos/h..._detailing.htm

you will get what you need
Old 06-26-03, 12:52 PM
Horta
Lead Lap

MrRX300

I posted this in the LS400 forum. I must say I also have a RX and just last weekened used the same tips and had phenominal results.

Hey All

I have discovered a new technique to clean the Leather in my 98 LS400. I have already shared with you my technique for doing a DEEP cleaning on older leather like a first GEN LS. That was the Soft Scrub but I don't recommend you do it on new leather unless you have a very stubborn stain and even then be very gentle and careful.

Any ways thoroughly cleaning new or newer leather. Basically I use Lexus leather cleaner and conditioner. No one ever taught me how to clean leather so you just learned from doing it. I usually spray on the cleaner wait 3 - 5 seconds and start wiping it around and off with a clean WHITE cotton towel. My car has the Ivory (Tan) leather. When I spray on the cleaner some parts get hit directly with the majority of the fluid other parts just get a light spray or spotted actually, those spots usually scare me because if I leave the cleaner on for more than 5 - 7 seconds a very light colored dot occurs where the clear spot landed. I'm always scared of discoloring my leather so I tend to wipe of the cleaner faster than necessary. Also where I hit the leather with the direct spray the huge amount of fluid would just tend to run down. I also tend to repeat the same spot many time because I'm spraying and wiping spraying and wiping. As most of you have found sometime with NOT so good results.

Last weekend I decided it was time to clean my leather but thought I would try a new technique. This time after I sprayed on the cleaner and I immediately spread the fluid around with my bare fingers (my hands were freshly washed). What this did is that I would spray say the seat bottom then spread it around say the center of the seat cushion. This evenly distributed the cleaner fluid. This way I could let the cleaner safely set for 6 - 8 seconds (mind you I was not timing this but the point is I would let is soak in a little longer than I would normally) then wipe off the cleaner fluid in the area. This gave me better results that I have ever had in the past. I found that spot cleaning like this gave me more even cleaning and in much faster time. I did not have to do the same area over and over like I use to. Also I was not getting a small spot discolorations, just large clean sections. I repeated this technique on all seats and it work out for me extremely well. It felt more organized and seamed to go buy faster. I felt like I got great results. I also did the door leather this way.

Once I finished cleaning the ALL the leather I started the conditioning process. For this I have always been told to just use you bare hands and pretend as if you oiling up your sexy partner at the beach with oil. I would put some conditioner in my hands and thoroughly cover all the leather one seat at a time. When I was done with one seat you could see the excess conditioner not to the point where its dripping every where but that there was a small thin layer covering all the leather. I tried not to accumulate to much conditioner in the stitching seams. Anyways after ALL the leather was full covered with conditioner then I went back to where I started and began wiping off all the excess that did not soak into the leather with another clean WHITE cotton towel. I must say my leather has never looked or felt softer but even better it had never been easier to clean and condition.

I hope this helps you out
Jerry

PS
After speaking at length with a Maguire's rep at the Barrett Jackson car auction two weeks ago he believed that the Lexus Leather Care products are just rebadged Maguire's product which are very good. He told me that Maguire's is the OEM supply for many Car companies like Mercedes and some others. I new already the Mercedes car care products were made by Maguire's but did not know Lexus product could be too. I spoke to this Extremely knowledgeable rep for almost an hour and got several great cleaning and waxing tips. I hope to use some of his ideas very soon. As soon as I do and I like the results I will post them for all to read.
Old 01-10-21, 02:09 AM
123go
Driver School Candidate

Default Not tried yet?

In the late 70's I bought a 1972 White on White on White Cadillac Coupe De'ville off a lot. I got it "dirt cheap" because nobody in town wanted to sit in the "Dirty Pig"..lol. Even with just 70k miles the car lot had it 7 months for $1395. After my 4th trip in there bugging them I got it for $800 cash tax included. All due to its interior being sooo nasty.
I stopped by my moms to show her and she nearly lost it after seeing it, "I can't believe you bought that nasty thing, it will never come clean".
Its interior was all dark grey, more black in many areas (The Dirty) due to its big block 472 c.i. gas guzzler (Pig) in the gas crunch yrs and to save gas the owner never used A/C just had his windows down I guess? Dirt roads too Idk?..lol
I told mom I needed her 409 and she shook her head & just pointed. I spent the next 5+ hours in the 90+ deg hot sun with a trash can next to it for all moms paper towels and washed its outside too. Had to make a short trip part way through for 2 more bottles of 409 & paper towels but afterwards I pulled that car up to moms door and said "now look"..
She was just stunned! She just couldn't believe it was the same car even. OMG it looks like a brand new car she said.
Its white leather was so white you had a hard time looking at it with the sun reflecting it being such a bright white. It was just stunning and not a blemish one anywhere in/out!
I conditioned its interior the next day and drove it a few yrs with no signs of leather damage ever. I never had a car dirty enough to use 409 since but oh yes Id use it without fear.
Some good info in the link below tells why it dont bother car leather any.
One more thing. My Cad was hit from behind finally and mostly totaled but it still moved. Got $1250 from her insurance & kept car. Driving home a couple months later about 35mph it sounded like a shotgun blast as a rod ripped through my oil pan. It still moved so I limped home over 6 miles as smoke filled the sky...lol A car dealer bought it from me for $350! He wanted the interior for another Cadi. Yep!..lol
Read this:
tps://www.best-auto-detailing-tips.com/cleaning-leather-car-seats.html
Old 01-11-21, 03:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,734 Likes on 1,957 Posts

I would not use 409 on modern leather seats...

Quick Reply: Cleaning Leather seats and treating them????