Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Best wax I have ever used (long)

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-03, 07:43 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Doesn't P21s = S100?
Old 05-28-03, 10:45 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bradster - With a little more thought, I think putting carnauba over Zaino is going to be a not very good idea. Once you get the carnauba on it, I don't believe you would be able to put Zaino over it so you would be commited to the carnauba. If you decide to go back to the Zaino you would have to remove the carnauba without buggering up the Zaino which sounds like a challenge. Without saying it, I think this was important to me in my test, I wanted the Zaino long gone, which was a chore, and then go back down to the paint before putting the P21s on and reporting results. I am not sure you can do fair comparisons otherwise. I switched off of the Zaino a while ago but I wanted to wait until I had some real experience with the P21s before posting even though I saw months ago that it was a very special carnauba. My opinion is to stick with one or the other but the dual application route sounds like minor improvement versus potential headaches down the road.

Don't want to get too overboard but I can tell you that after two days, I am impressed with a noticeable reduction in dust attracted to the P21s. Hope this keeps up.
Old 05-29-03, 05:54 AM
Bradster
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you for your insights and advice.It is probably wise not to combine 2 products with very different properties.I'm very satisfied with the Zaino treatment though curious how a good carnuba wax would look in comparison.I get the feeling (i'm i wrong here?) that white would not be the color to bring out much difference between the 2 products.Thanks again!
Old 05-29-03, 07:57 AM
twenty1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

brad: imho i think you're right. i have a white gs, and any colored car that i use zaino on looks so much better. so much that my next car will not be white. when i first read the idea of combining the two (p21 and zaino) i thought it was a great idea. now i see why it would not be. learned a lot from this thread. makes me wanna go put in some serious work on the car too.
Old 05-29-03, 11:01 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default True , it's not for everyone...

A great deal of the picky people over at Autopia.com apply carnauba over a polymer, it's no biggie, and nothing bad happens...you simply have to wash the car with a little Dawn before you reapply the polymer (2x a year). The Dawn easily removes a carnauba, but the polymer is chemically bonded and won't come off without a polish or alcohol.

You could consider it an added step, but...you have to wash your car anyway. Cheers.
Old 05-29-03, 11:28 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

I'll take your word for it. When I tried stripping Zaino with Dawn it didn't strip it but it changed the look of it to the point where I didn't want to stop but get it off. So out came the solvents, which is one of my dislikes about Zaino. That chemical bond (if it really happens with the polymers) that the Zaino gets instead of the mechanical bond may also be the reason for the contaminants sticking harder to the Zaino even after curing and makes it a b**** to remove. I hope the picky people like the extra work of putting a carnauba over Zaino but the more I look at the P21s, the more impressed I am and the more I realize the difference to the Zaino. Once again, I am not trying to get anyone off of Zaino as I believe it to be a very good product as well. But if you want to try a carnauba, the P21s is something special (and reasonably priced compared to the exotic carnaubas) and I think you will find that it is a carnauba that can legitimately be compared to Zaino, which is a bit remarkable in its own right. In some respects it might not be any better (or much worse) and in some respects I feel it is better, at least on the dark blue. Don't think you can wrong with either one. Once again, if you are not a believer, get microfiber towels for haze removal for either one, you will never use anything else.

With it being in the 90's and fairly windy here, it is a natural for the surface to pick up that dust (and especially pollen this time of year) that screams on the dark colors. I have mentioned it already but I dusted it again this morning and I am definitely getting of the opinion that the carnauba (at least the P21s) is attracting a lot less dust than the Zaino. But I do feel I should watch it for at least a month before making much of a comparison. Do I feel like going back and putting Zaino on and try to figure out a way to get some numbers? No.
Old 06-02-03, 11:26 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for the detailed write-up, it's got me excited to finish my car. I just went through removing the Zaino today and am working at swirls right now; I'll be using Meguiars No. 7 and S100 wax which I believe is the same as P21S, someone correct me if my memory is off.
Old 06-03-03, 03:36 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

I guess retrodrive is the one to answer about the P21s being the same as S100. I just cleaned some off of the trunk lid that I missed on Memorial day. Amazing that after a week or so it was still relative easy to remove the haze. Good luck.
Old 06-03-03, 09:20 PM
twenty1
Lead Lap

kyle: how'd it turn out?
Old 06-05-03, 11:02 AM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Haven't finished yet, the Harley dealer was already closed when I tried to get the wax, I'm gonna try again tonight, hopefully I can get it done tomorrow if the weather is OK, I've got the afternoon off from work.
Old 06-09-03, 10:55 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

I did get a coat of S100 on last Saturday, the weather hasn't been cooperating to get another coat on and make a real thorough evaluation; but I'm pleased so far. My initial impressions support everything Ron said, shine is great and beading is very good as well. Application was easy. I think I personally like the look a little better than the Zaino too. I agree that it seems to be collecting less dust than the Zaino. The only thing is I seem to notice the tiny rock chips in my hood more now then with the Zaino, but that could be partially because I'm paying closer attention now than I usually was before. I'm sticking with the S100, but either are a good choice, depends on the specific situation. So basically yeah, I'm just agreeing with Ron's evaluation, right on the money.

Just to fill in the gaps for anyone that may be curious on my specifics; I've got a dark green/grey 92 ES300. Well cared for, paint in generally good condition, swirls and stuff that bugs me but most wouldn't notice. I started by removing Zaino and using 3M Fine Cut Rubbing Compound in a few spots, followed by Meguiars Swirl Remover (No. 9 I think), Meguiars No. 7 Show Car glaze, and S100 wax. I like the way the S100 seems to bring out a little something extra in the dark color, and the way the green pearl glows when the light hits it right. I could be happy now if it would stop raining every other day.
Old 06-10-03, 11:10 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Whew, glad I wasn't crazy but that wax is something special. I would not try to talk anyone out of Zaino as I think it is a very good product but I just like the look of the carnuba a bit better than the Zaino on the dark color. I also am glad I wasn't imagining things on the dust issue but it seems to me that the P21s/S100 attracts a lot less dust than the Zaino did. Of course it doesn't repel it but it cuts the accumulation down to the point where you can tell the difference.

I am still just amazed at how easy this wax is to apply relative to the finished product. Like I said, whoever is making this stuff could teach Zymol a thing or two about waxes. So I feel I have the best of all possible worlds, choice. If I go for a polymer it is Zaino (haven't tried Klasse for a while so I don't know) and if I want a carnuba it will be the P21s/S100. Still don't think putting the carnuba over the Zaino is going to help much if at all.

I had some little chips as well and spent the first day filling them in and then using the Langka product. First time I used the Langka and I see there is some technique to be developed but I followed up with the P21s and got the results reported above.
Old 06-11-03, 09:46 AM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

I was thinking about the rock chips, and I'm not sure how I didn' t realize right away that most of that was a tiny bit of residue, probably Swirl Remover, stuck in the chips. I'm guessing they'll be alot less noticeable once I get that residue out.

I agree that it was easier to apply and remove than I'd expected, definitely not any tougher than the Zaino.
Old 07-05-03, 09:28 AM
twenty1
Lead Lap

kyle: you can get s100 from harley dealers? i've got one 5 minutes from here, and was thinking of finally trying out this "new" stuff.
Old 07-05-03, 11:49 AM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

S100 Paste wax is available at most H-D dealers, as well as S100 Shine-enhancing cleanser.
A great product to use as a pre-wax cleaner.

Enjoy. S100 is a good thing.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Best wax I have ever used (long)