Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Switched from Expensive Karcher to Cheap Ryobi w/ Upgrades... very pleased!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-17, 09:34 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Switched from Expensive Karcher to Cheap Ryobi w/ Upgrades... very pleased!

The Karcher X Series...
About 4 years ago I bought a Karcher X Series (K5.540) , 2000 PSI, 1.4 GPM unit
(product link) (product link)
to be used for car washing. This was my first electric pressure washer, and I figured I would buy the "top of the line" expensive model so I wouldn't have any regrets later. Well, I screwed up....

Name:  01CADEB1-306F-4A2E-9B0C-EC60AED65CFD_zpsc8rxmzvj.jpg
Views: 2178
Size:  3.45 MB

The Karcher unit was... fine. I mean it sprayed water at higher pressure, so I suppose it functioned, but after fighting with it for so long, that is about the only good thing I can say about it. The hose was a stiff, cheap product that would never lay flat. It always tried to retain the coiled up shape even when it was uncoiled. Thanks to Karcher's unique connections, the only option that I had found to replace the hose was with another Karcher hose... so I was stuck with it. The spray gun and wand were also cheap, flimsy products. The variable pressure wand is a nice idea, however I only utilized the widest fan setting, so the variable settings were not needed by any means. Again, thanks to the Karcher connections, I was also stuck with this gun. The attachment on the PW body to hold the gun while it was being stored fell off regularly, as did the hook to hang the extension cord on. This was an issue from day one. Very cheaply made, poorly designed pieces. In the end, it was the power cord that gave up on me, and instead of spending $20 to fix it, I sold the entire unit for $30 on craigslist. I just wanted it gone. Time to start over.

My inspiration...
I had watched some videos by Matt on Obsessed Garage where he went over a lot of the research he had done on pressure washer fittings, wands, guns, hoses, etc. and I became intrigued. I knew my next setup needed to incorporate some higher end components (hose and gun, specifically) so I would not have the same complaints as I did with the Karcher unit. I have always been a fan of the MTM Foam Cannons, so I spent some time on their site and the OG site checking out fittings, hoses, and guns. I liked what I saw so I decided to get to work....

The Cheap Ryobi...
I went to my local home depot and picked up the cheapest pressure washer they had. A 1600 PSI, 1.2 GPM Ryobi unit (product link). This unit retails for $119, but I had a coupon and got it for $101 + tax. I knew I would not be using the included hose or gun, I just needed the unit itself. This little thing is a great, compact size. It is very lightweight and easy to move around, unlike the overweight karcher unit I had previously.

Upgrading the Ryobi...
The output of the Ryobi PW is an M22 male thread where the supplied Ryobi hose would typically connect. Since I would not be using this hose, I needed to convert the M22 thread to a 3/8" coupler as that is a common size found on most higher end hoses. From there I needed the use the appropriate fittings to connect the hose to the pressure washer, and the hose to my new MTM SG-28 Spray Gun. A 1/4" coupler was added to the output of the spray gun to allow for easy changes between spray nozzles and foam cannons. The following photo shows the full layout of parts. Click here to download the PDF with links to all parts and a 2nd option to upgrade your hose and gun.
Name:  PW%20Uprade_zpsucyozriz.png
Views: 2030
Size:  270.2 KB
Some of the parts once they arrived....
Name:  FullSizeRender_zpslfir9xqo.jpg
Views: 2064
Size:  995.8 KB

Just put the new setup to the test today, and I am very pleased!!!

(Used with MTM Hydro PF22 Foam Cannon and Optimum Car Wash. 40* Nozzle used for rinsing)
Name:  IMG_7774_zpsiwuhhhfb.jpg
Views: 1810
Size:  1.68 MB
Name:  IMG_7772_zpsntecrmr4.jpg
Views: 1775
Size:  1.50 MB

Initial Impressions of the New Setup...
Man is it nice to have a 50' hose! Man is it nice to have a hose that doesn't get twisted and tangled! Man is it nice to have a PW that doesn't fall over!

Alright, so I do not have a hose reel on this new unit. This means I have to connect and disconnect the high pressure hose each time I use it which adds a couple of minutes to my job, but I sort of prefer it this way. The PW unit remains very compact and lightweight without the hose reel. I simply roll up my hose and hang it on a hook inside my garage above the pressure washer, just like I do with my garden hose. My foam lance and spray gun have spots on my pegboard.

The SG-28 spray gun is very nice. While it is still a completely plastic body, the build quality is much better than the Karcher gun. It just feels sturdy. There isn't a bunch of play in the trigger.

The connectors and fittings are very solid. No leaks, and no issues connecting or disconnecting anything during setup, use, and tear down.

Financials...
Karcher X Series: $292 (on ebay)
Ryobi + MTM Parts: $101 + $142 = $243

So for a similar price, I feel the Ryobi (or other similar inexpensive unit) with the upgraded components is absolutely the right way to go!

Last edited by zmcgovern4; 05-28-17 at 09:38 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by zmcgovern4:
FastFord (06-01-17), Kira X (06-16-17)
Old 05-28-17, 11:12 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

Nice!

Zach, we have been using those Ryobis for years at my work. We have that same exact model that we take on mobile jobs, and currently use the 2000psi models at the shop (they're under $200 at Home Depot). The non-kink hoses are an absolute must as is the MTM foam cannon.

In the past years we used the 1700psi ryobi model but stopped buying those because the motors are EXTREMELY loud compared to the 2000psi model.

The only downside is that they start leaking after about a year if you heavily use them but that's why you get the 3 year protection plan for something like $10-15 bucks.

I bought the exact same setup we use at work for my house to make washing super easy.
Old 05-29-17, 05:56 AM
Curryolla
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I too have a Karcher K5 and I agree with a majority of the sentiments made here! However, the biggest selling point for me was the fact the Karcher is able to siphon water from source (like a bucket of water), pressurize it and spray it. This has made a load of difference in the winter when my outside water faucet is frozen.

Normally, I would use a waterless wash process (which I've never been a fan of). Now, I just have to stick the Karcher siphon tube into a bucket of clean, warm water and refill the bucket as the level gets too low. This also allows me to foam and knock off any salt and sand! Best of all, it can also foam and pressure wash under my car and remove even more salt and sand.

That said, the Karcher hose is a massive pain!!!
Old 05-31-17, 12:48 PM
Justin727
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Saw your post on AG as well. Good stuff. May end up replacing my 7 year old B&D that has served me real well over the years.
Old 06-01-17, 11:36 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

The cost for a new hose, instead of those cheap plastic, tangled mess, tripping hazards, caught under tires, kink, are worth every penny. Looks like a trip to HD is in the cards! Thanks Zach for the great review.
Old 06-16-17, 10:42 AM
liquidtek
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

Been wanting another pressure washer since my Karcher one from years ago finally died. Ordered all these parts, thanks for the info OP.
Old 06-16-17, 11:18 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Happy to help!
Old 06-16-17, 02:13 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 437 Likes on 360 Posts

Thanks for the review! I've been looking to get a pressure washer and this Ryobi looks good. It looks small enough that I could take it with me to do the occasional mobile wash.

By the way, did you always have an IS-F? For some reason I thought you had an IS250 or IS350.
Old 06-16-17, 07:13 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by Kira X
Thanks for the review! I've been looking to get a pressure washer and this Ryobi looks good. It looks small enough that I could take it with me to do the occasional mobile wash.

By the way, did you always have an IS-F? For some reason I thought you had an IS250 or IS350.
I have had the F for a year now. Previously had an IS250
The following users liked this post:
Kira X (06-17-17)
Old 06-17-17, 11:36 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 437 Likes on 360 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
I have had the F for a year now. Previously had an IS250
Oh okay. It's been a while since I've browsed this section too.
Old 06-30-17, 09:25 PM
ISFCOBRA
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just order my stuff from MTM Hydro parts.

Last edited by ISFCOBRA; 07-01-17 at 12:49 AM.