Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Dashboard scuff marks solution

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-17, 11:38 AM
kent2174
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Dashboard scuff marks solution

in some thread, there was a discussion about how sensitive the finish is regarding scuff marks.
Unfortunately I found some scuff marks this morning.
Sprayed Chemical Guys Inner Clean on fiber cloth.
Then applied to entire dash.
Scuff marks are removed or hidden. (For now)
Inner Clean is best interior cleaner I've found.
Cant tell you are using it. Leaves no shine etc. Just removes dust and evens out scuff marks.
Old 05-29-17, 12:47 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

If they are actual scuff marks, no cleaner is going to magically remove them.

A cleaner with the right applicator (magic eraser) or an abrasive pad will remove transfer marks on plastics and some vinyl but that's about it.

Trim dressings will hide and fill alot but need constant re-application.

I've used inner clean several times and it's far from the best interior cleaner on the market. It's OKAY on a newer car that only needs a light wipedown but any older interior that has years of dirt embedded into the material would require an actual APC and frankly all the CG APC products are a bit garbage compared to the the other brands.
Old 05-29-17, 12:52 PM
User21c
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

what's an APC???
Old 05-29-17, 12:59 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by User21c
what's an APC???
All Purpose Cleaner. Pretty much every major company has their own.

Some popular ones are the Meguiars D101, Optimum OPC, and Adam's APC.

The Meguiars is the cheapest one and the one we use the most. However it's not the best smelling so we usually wear a mask having to work with it almost daily.
Old 05-29-17, 01:03 PM
kent2174
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally posted in RX350 forum due to many owners saying the dash is more susceptible to scuff marks than other cars.
Just letting others know of my experience with inner clean.
Old 05-30-17, 10:59 AM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
If they are actual scuff marks, no cleaner is going to magically remove them.

A cleaner with the right applicator (magic eraser) or an abrasive pad will remove transfer marks on plastics and some vinyl but that's about it.

Trim dressings will hide and fill alot but need constant re-application.

I've used inner clean several times and it's far from the best interior cleaner on the market. It's OKAY on a newer car that only needs a light wipedown but any older interior that has years of dirt embedded into the material would require an actual APC and frankly all the CG APC products are a bit garbage compared to the the other brands.
If I used Meg's interior quik detailer w/ a magic eraser, would you say it will be good enough to get rid of some scruffs? I have some on the passenger dash, under the seats, and door sills.

I'm scared if I put too much pressure it may remove the finishing of the plastic. Any recommend of pounds of pressure to apply?
Old 05-30-17, 08:35 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by nathantse
If I used Meg's interior quik detailer w/ a magic eraser, would you say it will be good enough to get rid of some scruffs? I have some on the passenger dash, under the seats, and door sills.

I'm scared if I put too much pressure it may remove the finishing of the plastic. Any recommend of pounds of pressure to apply?
If they are actual scuff IN the material, you are not going to remove them. If they are transfer marks ON TOP of the material than you can sometimes remove them but like you said, you sometimes risk damaging the material in the process. Just try some very light agitation with an interior upholstery brush and see what happens. Don't just start going crazy with it and strip all the dye and color off.
Old 05-30-17, 08:37 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
If they are actual scuff IN the material, you are not going to remove them. If they are transfer marks ON TOP of the material than you can sometimes remove them but like you said, you sometimes risk damaging the material in the process. Just try some very light agitation with an interior upholstery brush and see what happens. Don't just start going crazy with it and strip all the dye and color off.
How can you differentiate if its IN the material vs ON TOP?

Any recommendations for a quality interior brush?
Old 05-31-17, 04:55 AM
bwsteg
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Is the Optimum OPC safe to use on clear film and ceramic coatings? I notice my rx sometimes has black dirt stains that dont come off with regular wash so I always need to use detail spray with some force to remove. I was hoping I can spray this APC over the car prior to wash and let it sit a few minutes, then wash the car thus removing any stains.
Old 06-05-17, 05:45 PM
mylexbaby
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by nathantse

In case this is helpful, I just tested a plain magic eraser and 1000 grit sandpaper on smooth vinyl (to remove discolored surface). Both were hand wet sanding with water. The eraser left a rougher surface than 1000 grit.
I'm not sure how accurate anyone's hand is in terms of pounds of pressure.
Old 08-02-18, 03:57 PM
kdl9238
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Help! Scuffs in Brand New RX450h Dash

I am so bummed.

I just bought a 2018 RX 450h last week. It was my dream car, I love the way they drive. The car has about 500 miles on it and the dashboard looks like it's 20 years old.

Yesterday I noticed the dash looked a bit hazy, so I simply wiped the dash board with a clean, micro fiber cloth (as recommended by Lexus) and it left white scuff marks on over the dash. In fact, when I simply wipe my hand on the dash it leaves white marks. The dealer told me that this has been a complaint and offered to have it detailed but the scuffs are still there and now there are even more from whoever cleaned it at the dealer.

The service manager (who was very nice) advised me to not clean my dash EVER to prevent it from scuffing more. This seems like a design flaw and totally unacceptable for a car in this price range. You cannot clean the dash without making marks on it? I called another dealer who advised me to contact Lexus, Lexus Co. said "there are no known issues with these dsahboards" and told me to go back to the dealer for an inspection.

Is anyone having this issue?

Does anyone know what I can do to get my dash fixed and/or how to prevent further damage? I am afraid to even touch the dashboard at all now and I fear what it will look like the first time I take it to a carwash.

I have always loved my Lexus cars, but this one is a huge disappointment.

Help!
Old 08-02-18, 09:04 PM
chinee
Racer

Received 947 Likes on 580 Posts

How about some pics?
Old 08-19-18, 04:13 PM
Skygc
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I actually used Chemical Guys Inner Cleaner for the first time today and it did work. All the white scuff marks were all gone. Wonderful stuff... So happy that at last this product works.