Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Using the "blade" for drying my car

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-17, 07:56 AM
2008GS
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Using the "blade" for drying my car

I wanted to get your opinions on using the "blade" to remove water after washing my car. It is awesome and very effective to use and I prefer it over a chamois and towel. It seems to cause less friction than either, however I SUSPECT it is stripping the wax, because the car doesn't bead as well as one would expect after a week spent waxing. Do any of you have experience to support my hypothesis that it is reducing the protecting coating of wax? I use a Meguiars Wash and Wax, which is not supposed to harm the wax already on the vehicle. I rotate waxings every month or so (I do not have a garage) using Meguiars Carnauba wax, then next month using Meguiars Car Cleaner Wax (to remove oxidation and improve depth and gloss.) The car barely beads between waxing sessions. Would going back old school and use a microfiber towel to dry the car be better and less abrasive than the "blade"? Another alternative would be to apply special coatings as mentioned on this board. but I have 0 experience with them.
Old 06-15-17, 12:39 PM
3nergiz3d
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

I've used a "water blade" for many years prior and have switched completely to micro-fiber towels or electric leaf blower drying. I didn't want to risk or introduce scratching that a blade might pickup or other paint effects. Sometimes, the old school ways are the best ways with some lubrication in the drying method.
Old 06-15-17, 12:47 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 3nergiz3d
I've used a "water blade" for many years prior and have switched completely to micro-fiber towels or electric leaf blower drying. I didn't want to risk or introduce scratching that a blade might pickup or other paint effects. Sometimes, the old school ways are the best ways with some lubrication in the drying method.

I've always felt the blade was a scary tool.Especially with dark colors.Wash and possible miss a little area of grit one time and pulling it across the paint with the blade is too scary for me and I buy light color vehicles.
A cordless blower and 100% US made cotton towels work for me.
Old 06-15-17, 02:22 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

I spray a quick detailer on the wet car then dry it with microfiber towels. lubrication for the towel, and if there's any dirt or dust that has been missed or settled on it while washing.
Old 06-15-17, 04:53 PM
1A1
Instructor

Received 303 Likes on 209 Posts

This sounds weird, but use some sort of lube if you use the blade. It will scratch the clear coat even if the car is wet. A better way would be a filtered blower or MetroVac blower to dry it and then blot with microfiber. Chemical guys has a product called after wash the works well to prevent scratches too.

Steve
Old 06-15-17, 05:32 PM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

There are lots of threads in this section that will give you some ideas on how to get the long lasting finish you are looking for.

I don't believe that the blade is pulling off anything more than a microfiber would. Personally I would take the blade into your bathroom for the shower and never let it touch your car again.

Using Meguiars Car Cleaner Wax every second month to remove oxidation and improve depth....well check out some of zmcgovern4 posts. He will point you in the right direction and help you get that long lasting look you are after.

Did I mention the blade....is it gone yet?
Old 06-16-17, 02:04 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 432 Likes on 356 Posts

I've been using one on my personal cars for a while but I never use it for my customer's cars. Lately I've been just using good quality microfiber towels.

I was told that the water blades can scratch paint if they get dirty.