Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

What is your favorite wash mitt?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-17, 09:17 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by k20trick
Downside is that it can get costly but the convenience of never having to refill two buckets, empty them out etc was worth it for me, wait for a 25-30% off deal at Adams, they sell 3 pads for 24.99 you can probably buy 12 pads for 60-70... You'll easily get years worth of use out of them as long as you take care of them, great roi imho...

Rag company has great microfiber, I use their pluffle drying towel. That new wash pad looks very heavy though to manipulate into cracks and crevices, the Adams is light and you can maneuver it much easier, but their pluff towel is great for drying, I use mostly with rinse less and their Korean eagle edgeless towels are one of the best Imo... Not too good for super sticky sealants and coating wipe offs, but they do work very well for spray sealants like reload cv2 optiseal
That's good to know that adams has them for cheap. I paid $21-22 for 2 of them, but I got them immediately, so it was worth it. Do you use 12 per car or is that so you have enough to only wash the mitts every couple of weeks? I can't even think of where I would be able to store 12 more wash mitts. lol

That's good to know about the towels. I switched over to the Griots PFM drying towel, and I don't see myself using a different brand any time soon. The ideal towel for wax/sealant/coating removal is short knap towels.
Old 07-16-17, 11:38 AM
k20trick
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
That's good to know that adams has them for cheap. I paid $21-22 for 2 of them, but I got them immediately, so it was worth it. Do you use 12 per car or is that so you have enough to only wash the mitts every couple of weeks? I can't even think of where I would be able to store 12 more wash mitts. lol

That's good to know about the towels. I switched over to the Griots PFM drying towel, and I don't see myself using a different brand any time soon. The ideal towel for wax/sealant/coating removal is short knap towels.
The mitts get stored in a microfiber bin, they do compress slightly, also they don't fully dry but its fine because it gets used weekly so its not sitting in there to Rott. I use around 3-6 since I take care of cars weekly or bi-weekly it never becomes a huge task where the mitts gets heavily contaminated... usually work top to bottom of the car so the mitts stay clean, but when moving to the bottom portions of the car thats where the swirl crunching dirt usually is and its also when I switch to new mitt often, with a dual bucket one could redunk into clean and wash bucket some even dedicate a mitt for the bottom portions of the car or just get a hose and hose off the dirt.

The griots Pfm drying towel is great! but its so costly.... And with rinse less wash the rag company pluffle does a great job for me with rinse less washes, any slight dirt that I may have missed during the prerinse/mf saturated clean mf wiping stages will be caught with the high naps on that towel.

Last edited by k20trick; 07-16-17 at 11:47 AM.
Old 07-16-17, 12:31 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

I store my towels in 20qt plastic bins, but I'm running out of shelf space for additional bins. That size happened to be perfect fit for the shelves the previous owner of my house built.

The PFM towel is pricey, it took a while for me to convince myself that a towel that cost that much is worth it. I started with the small size just to sample, then I bought the large one. After that an amazon seller mispriced it, and I bought 6 more for 25% off.
Old 07-16-17, 01:49 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

I'm using this one right now. Any downsides to it?

Amazon Amazon

I do have one of these chemical guys looking ones that I haven't used yet.

http://www.chemicalguys.com/Chenille...FYiJfgodGLgKhw
Old 07-17-17, 10:37 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by nathantse

https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-X300.../dp/B000RXKR6M

The general idea is that the longer the fibers are on a mitt, the more ability it has to trap the dirt into the fibers and keep it from scratching the paint, then when you rinse the mitt off it should release the dirt into the water. If you rinse the mitt often during a 2 bucket wash, and you're working small sections at a time, then it shouldn't be too harmful to the paint.

I would choose the mf chenille style mitt over that particular meguiars mitt because it can hold more soap, and it'll do a better job of lifting dirt off the paint.
Old 07-18-17, 09:54 AM
k20trick
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by nathantse

https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-X300.../dp/B000RXKR6M

I don't think its really the mitt that causes the damage, its normally the user that does and I don't mean that in a bad way its just that most people are unaware or don't care, but I do... Most people think that with the best mitt on earth you can go commando and scrub the paint with it, theoretically you only need to go one-two swipes on the paint to remove the matted on road film and other junk and the stubborn junk with your finger nail to dislodge it (this is how I do it, but theres other ways), such as those small round bird dropping, insects on front end, etc. This is why its always important to have some form of solid protection on your paint which will make the above process much much easier and provide from anything etching on the paint itself, its not there only to make the car look nice and shiny.

Finally joining the coating life the car stays cleaner a lot longer and a lot less bonded contamination that needs agitation to remove the above. It really works.