Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Aquapel / RainX and Similar Products

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-17, 12:00 PM
TeKKieNYC
Driver

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Aquapel / RainX and Similar Products

Do these water-repellent products affect the Safety System+ of the RX like the windshield camera? rain sensor?

I've been an avid user of Aquapel for over a decade in my various vehicles and it always works amazing. Past few days I got caught in very hard down pours and the RX's windshield wiper system was completely futile at highway speed where I couldn't see anything in front of me. I'd like to apply Aquapel on RX but I don't know what to expect from this oversensitive Safety System+. Advice? Thank you.
Old 08-04-17, 12:08 PM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

A lot of Audi people have problems with Rain-X wiper fluid since it gunks up the fluid level sensor inside the wiper fluid tank....

I've used the spray on Rain-X on my Audi an RX with no problems...
Old 08-04-17, 12:52 PM
TeKKieNYC
Driver

I apply Aquapel directly on the windshield and wipe off - I don't use those windshield fluid gimmicks.
Old 08-04-17, 01:30 PM
sderman
Advanced

Received 98 Likes on 74 Posts

I've used RainX in my all Lexus' (ES, RX) reservoirs for about 15 years with no problems. In fact, in a heavy downpour at highway speeds, I have found that the beading on the windshield often allows me to see better and with less distraction with the wipers off!
Old 08-04-17, 01:59 PM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by sderman
I've used RainX in my all Lexus' (ES, RX) reservoirs for about 15 years with no problems. In fact, in a heavy downpour at highway speeds, I have found that the beading on the windshield often allows me to see better and with less distraction with the wipers off!
Just double checked the Audi forums on wiper fluids and it appears that many BMW, Audi/VW, Mercedes cars that have a fluid level sensor in the wiper fluid resevoir has problems with Rain-X type of wiper fluids....

See the gummy stuff on the sensor? You can thank Rain-X for that. Not sure if Lexus cars have a fluid level sensor inside the wiper fluid tank

Here's what the sensor looks like after someone cleaned off the gummy residue

Last edited by skiracer; 08-04-17 at 02:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
CharmCtyIS (02-12-18)
Old 08-04-17, 02:54 PM
Oldfart
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by TeKKieNYC
I apply Aquapel directly on the windshield and wipe off - I don't use those windshield fluid gimmicks.
Interesting choice of words you are using there.
So you are OK with directly on the windshield gimmicks.
The following 2 users liked this post by Oldfart:
ggebhardt (08-05-17), Hubs (08-05-17)
Old 08-04-17, 06:23 PM
sderman
Advanced

Received 98 Likes on 74 Posts

Page 585 of the 2017 Owners manual does not warn against using certain types of washer fluids:

"Washer fluid
WARNING
■When adding washer fluid
Do not add washer fluid when the engine is hot or operating as washer fluid contains
alcohol and may catch fire if spilled on the engine etc.
NOTICE
■ Do not use any fluid other than washer fluid
Do not use soapy water or engine antifreeze instead of washer fluid.
Doing so may cause streaking on the vehicle’s painted surfaces.
■ Diluting washer fluid
Dilute washer fluid with water as necessary.
Refer to the freezing temperatures listed on the label of the washer fluid bottle."
Old 08-05-17, 06:29 AM
dfc350
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I've used wipe-on Rain-X on the windshield from day one with my RX 350 and am completely satisfied. Rain slides right off. The only problem I had was with the rear window, and I later found out Rain-X is specifically recommended against on rear windows.
TeKKieNYC (08-07-17)
Old 08-06-17, 09:11 AM
TeKKieNYC
Driver

Originally Posted by Oldfart
Interesting choice of words you are using there.
So you are OK with directly on the windshield gimmicks.
This gimmick that I particularly use - is used on EVERY commercial airplane windshield. Keep it going oldfart. :P :P :P
Aquapel is also fluorinated compound based vs Rain-X silicon.

Edit PS Rain-X (and other types of) windshield fluid is a gimmick because it is very diluted hydrophobic, so you need to constantly apply it. It also weaken the rubbers on the your wipers. It's a great business.

Last edited by TeKKieNYC; 08-06-17 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Didnt provide proper info
Old 08-06-17, 01:11 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

Aquapel is by far thew best window coating I have tried. Everything else just faded after a few days.
TeKKieNYC (08-07-17)
Old 08-06-17, 03:07 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 167 Likes on 141 Posts

It won't effect either of those two systems. I've used rain-x on five different cars with rain sensing wipers. The clearer the windshield is for the camera the better it can work.

And not not here to debate what brand works best, use what you like. Just answering the op's question. I like it because the windshield is easier to clean.
TeKKieNYC (08-07-17)
Old 08-09-17, 10:54 PM
theory816
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to be super interested in Rain X and water repellent materials. My findings is that you can do without Rain X. You just have to clean your windshield very thoroughly in order to drive safely in adverse weather(rain). When you use RainX and you use your wipers, it creates something called "wiper chatter". That can be pretty annoying and unnecessary.

You will need the following:

1.Stoners window cleaner(do not use windex, it leaves a film). I use the aerosol can because of preference but any automotive window cleaner will do.
2. Two microfiber towels. One for wiping wet and one for wiping dry.

Clean thoroughly and with a gentle touch. If you wipe forcefully, you'll instill small scratches onto the window(and paint, I've tested this). Clean inside also because there is a build up of a film-like substance on it. Lastly, make sure to clean the wiper blades thoroughly. Over time, debris accumulate on the blades and the moment you turn them on, it will drag this debri of rock and dirt across your windshield leaving small or large gashes on it.