Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

WHOA - clay bar

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-03, 04:30 AM
Parlett316
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the lubrication I suggest using Auto Magics Body Shine. My God does it work wonders.
Old 10-23-03, 12:37 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default golfkwesi, some answers

Regarding your questions;

A client gave me an entire bucket of 3M products ( he works for them ) and I was thinking of using the show polish product BEFORE going with my Z5/Z2 Zaino which if I understand the posts will add a deeper wet look prior to applying my Zaino. Is this correct?
I'm not familiar with the 3M 'Show Polish' and I can't find any info on a product of theirs with that specific name, BUT...if it turns out to be a glaze or if it contains any silicones or oils, you WILL have to wash it off if you apply it before Zaino. Zaino won't stick to the paint with those things on it. So , unless you can send me some info on that product, I wouldn't use it proir to Zaino without washing the residue off beforehand. It's definitely a good idea to wash the car with a tiny bit of Dawn anytime after polishing and prior to using Zaino or any true polymer really. Yes, using a polish correctly will help give you a deeper wetter look, prior to wax or sealant.

Also, must I wash the car ( using Dawn dishwashing soap ) to remove any oil after 3M but before Z5/Z2 for the Zaino to bond properly

See above. Good luck, hope this makes sense.
Old 10-23-03, 08:07 PM
golfkwesi
Driver

Default Guitarman - 3M product info

Thanks Dan! the exact name of the product is:

Perfect - It Show Car Liquid Wax ( 39026 ) for a "wet look" finish. It contains hydrotreated light petroleum.

Michael
Old 10-23-03, 10:02 PM
Guitarman

That helps Michael,

The answer then is still NO, you can't use that before applying Zaino because Zaino won't bond to it. Because the 3M product is a wax, you would either have to use that as your protective topcoat, or Dawn wash to remove it (if you already have it on there) and then use Zaino as your protection.You need a really clean , wax , oil and residue free surface for a polymer like Zaino to bond to it.

The 3M wax won't last as long as a polymer sealant such as Zaino, so unless you really prefer the look of the 3M product, go with the Zaino for winter durability. But either will provide protection for you, just depends on how often you like to wax.

Last edited by Guitarman; 10-23-03 at 10:03 PM.
Old 10-24-03, 08:50 AM
golfkwesi
Driver

Default Guitarman

Thanks for the reply. I was under the impression that I could switch between the "wet look" polish & Zaino simply by using the Dawn in between ( I guess I thought the wet look remained but the oils of the polish were somehow stripped so that Zaino would apply properly)...boy do I have a lot of basics to learn!

I have read posts of someone ending the process, after all coats of Z2 are applied with a top quality wax, should that be avoided too ; just sticking with the Zaino line only?

Michael
Old 10-24-03, 02:31 PM
Guitarman

Mike, you can do that - use the 3M then wash with Dawn and apply the Zaino, OR you can try applying the 3M OVER the Zaino, but if it ( the 3M wax) has any cleaners in it, it will remove some or all of the Zaino.
Most people that apply a wax over Zaino (myself included ) do so with a non-cleaning wax, aka carnauba wax.

Not having any experience with the 3M wax, I can't say for sure whether or not the 3m stuff will remove or partially strip the Zaino (Zaino is pretty tough stuff) or just sit on it and enhance it. Try it, see what happens. If you see your protection COMPLTELY gone in ~3-4 weeks after the wax washes away etc. then you'll know the Zaino is gone too.

Hope this helps.

REMEMBER; You can apply a wax over a polymer, but not vice-versa.

Last edited by Guitarman; 10-24-03 at 02:32 PM.
Old 10-25-03, 09:49 AM
golfkwesi
Driver

Guitarman: thanks for the detailed info. I just finished applying three coats of Meg#9 to help with the swirls, then followed with EagleOne Wet-Look Car Polish ( Fluoropolymer ) then I applied a light coat of Z-6.

Should I not use Z-6 over this polish? My plan is to apply 2 coats of Z-5, with Z-6 after each, then finish the process with three coats of Z2/ZFX with Z-6 after each.

Should I wash wtih Dawn before I begin the Z-5, etc.

Michael
Old 10-25-03, 12:38 PM
Guitarman

Mike , it's ok to use the Z6 after those steps, because it's primarily a quick detail type product, but you can't use the Z5 polish until you Dawn wash the car, due to the previous Meg #9 and the Eagle One Wet-Look Car Polish . It won't bond well to anything but clean paint that has no other residue or product on it.

The Eagle 1 product is pretty good, I've tried it, so you can either leave that on a while and see what kind of durability you get, or strip it off and apply the Z5.

The one problem with Zaino is; it doesn't like to play nice with other products. Other than the fact you can put wax over it, you can't have anything else UNDER it and expect it to perform well.

Last edited by Guitarman; 10-25-03 at 12:38 PM.