Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Detailing

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-17, 11:05 AM
mjn88
Lead Lap

Received 145 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Spam89
I would never ever let any dealership or any other personnel detail my cars. Opt can just spend less then $300 for all products he needs to detail his car for many years to come. Dealership will probably not even fix it, then again fix it right since most of the detailers at the dealership are not experience to perform any type of paint correction.
I second that. There are to of horror stories of dealers that don't know what their doing behind those doors. I remember getting my GS "detailed" by Westminster Lexus and got the car back with a crap ton of swirls EVERYWHERE, dry water spots, and the interior was supposed to reconditioned with a matte finish but got it back just wiped down with some greasy armor all. Remember the only person who cares about these cars as much as you do is probably you. So if you really care about your $80k vehicle, give your car a little TLC.

Last edited by mjn88; 09-03-17 at 11:08 AM.
Old 09-03-17, 11:54 AM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've always enjoyed washing and detailing my cars. I've done it ever since high school. Personally, I don't trust anyone else to do it. I even tell the dealership not to wash my car if I ever have to drop it off.
Old 09-03-17, 02:27 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by FastFord
Menzerna sf4500, sf3000, Power Lock, 3M Ultra fine machine polish, Meguiars M105, M205, Wolfgang various...

Tons of good products, most good ones very similar, some more user friendly.

Some/one of these helps.
I hope detailing is your profession and not just a hobby. What does your pad collection look like?

Originally Posted by Spam89
Opt can just spend less then $300 for all products he needs to detail his car for many years to come.
Can you post the complete list of supplies for $300? I'd like to know where I went wrong with my choices.

Originally Posted by Liquid SC
I've always enjoyed washing and detailing my cars. I've done it ever since high school. Personally, I don't trust anyone else to do it. I even tell the dealership not to wash my car if I ever have to drop it off.
How do you define detailing your car? Enjoying washing a car and wiping some dust off the interior is different from spending 4-10 hours to do a paint correction.

Have your car coated, then spend your weekends enjoying washing it. Unless you genuinely enjoy doing paint corrections every 6 months to a year, then stick with a wax or a sealant.

For the interior you can use products like cquarts fabric or cquarts leather and vinyl coating. Plenty of videos on youtube to show how well it works.

Last edited by Blkexcoupe; 09-03-17 at 02:38 PM.
Old 09-03-17, 04:19 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

Lol you do NOT need all those buffers. Anyone with that many machines is a hobbyist or a collector....

That's like a professional painter having 15 different spray guns. Find one or two tools that work. Learn how to use them properly. That is all you need. I wonder how many times the guy even turned those machines on haha. They look brand new. My buffers sure as hell don't look that clean because we actually use them on a daily.
Old 09-03-17, 06:15 PM
Spam89
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 44 Posts

I am ready to detail! Who wants some!
Attached Thumbnails Detailing-20170903_182853.jpg   Detailing-20170903_182832.jpg   Detailing-20170903_182759.jpg   Detailing-20170903_182841.jpg  
Old 09-04-17, 04:58 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe

How do you define detailing your car? Enjoying washing a car and wiping some dust off the interior is different from spending 4-10 hours to do a paint correction.

Have your car coated, then spend your weekends enjoying washing it. Unless you genuinely enjoy doing paint corrections every 6 months to a year, then stick with a wax or a sealant.

For the interior you can use products like cquarts fabric or cquarts leather and vinyl coating. Plenty of videos on youtube to show how well it works.
I'm not a professional detailer, which is why I'm asking for input. But I do a bit more than washing my car and wiping off dust.

What I consider detailing (within my modest skill set) involves clay barring the car as needed, buffing out minor scratches and door dings with an orbital buffer, restoring headlights with the orbital buffer, using a light polish on the paint, sealing the paint, cleaning and conditioning the leather, shampooing the floor mats and carpet, and applying 303 aerospace to plastic interior pieces and seals.

I do that twice a year. In between, I wash it and wipe a little dust off the interior.
Old 09-04-17, 05:42 PM
myidsucks
Driver School Candidate

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Just let the dealership take care of the detailing.... they fk it up, they replace it.

Unless you actually enjoy scrubbing your pride and joy for hours on end, I would not waste a weekend to do a proper maintenance routine. Easy way to spend thousands of dollars in nice supplies and next thing you know you're spending three hours a week detailing each one of your cars.
Ugh - no way. I don't even let them wash it.
Old 09-04-17, 09:29 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Liquid SC
I'm not a professional detailer, which is why I'm asking for input. But I do a bit more than washing my car and wiping off dust.

What I consider detailing (within my modest skill set) involves clay barring the car as needed, buffing out minor scratches and door dings with an orbital buffer, restoring headlights with the orbital buffer, using a light polish on the paint, sealing the paint, cleaning and conditioning the leather, shampooing the floor mats and carpet, and applying 303 aerospace to plastic interior pieces and seals.

I do that twice a year. In between, I wash it and wipe a little dust off the interior.
I got that, that's why I asked you to define detailing. For some people washing your car and wiping off the dust inside is what they call a detail and others define a detail as spending days doing a paint correction. There is a huge range of definitions.

My suggestion is still the same. Coat the car and enjoy how much easier it is to maintain. You can do your complete routine once a year (if it's even necessary) instead of twice a year.
Old 09-05-17, 07:06 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
I hope detailing is your profession and not just a hobby. What does your pad collection look like?

Sick hobby. A group of us combined our "stuff" and use a garage we have to "play" Friends family drop by and a great place to hang out. 97-SC300 is right, each of us have our favs, but it's fun trying different ones.
Old 09-05-17, 09:44 AM
k20trick
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 57 Posts

Those are some nice collections you guys have there, but way overboard. Whatever happened to the KIS (Keep It Simple) theory, there's probably a lot of products there that are redundant and any good detailer can replicate the same if not better results with much less products.

It'll probably take a decade to go through all that compound/polish for a weekend warrior.
Old 09-05-17, 08:21 PM
WNC
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by alexalex77
Personally, I always go to the carwash for the fact that they leave my car spotless inside and out. Every other month I get my car detailed by the professional detail cars service. I'm a car nut, I love it clean
Will you share the cost for this?