Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Review: ClearKote Quick Shine (Quick Detailer) & Others

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-03, 05:56 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Review: ClearKote Quick Shine (Quick Detailer)

I've used the following Quick Detail sprays (and still have all of them but one), so I'm basing my findings on my previous experiences. While I may not have used as many QDs and some folks, I would personally rate my QD experience level as "advanced". In alphabetical order:

•3M Perfect-It Gloss Enhancer
•Auto Magic #49 Body Shine
•Deep Reflections Quick Detail Spray (Local bathtubber)
•Duragloss 921 Fast Clean and Shine
•Eagle One Wet Wipe 'n Shine
•Eimann Fabrik Clear Pearl Instant Detail Spray
•Meguiar's#34 Final Inspection
•Meguiar's Quik Detailer
•Mothers California Gold Showtime Instant Detailer
•One Grand Showoff
•Pinnacle Crystal Mist Quick Detailer
•The Wax Shop Slick Stuff
...and now ClearKote Quick Shine.

Friday evening, I washed (Duragloss 901) and waxed (Pinnacle Souverän) my Black Onyx RX 300. I let it rest overnight, woke up Saturday morning it looked great, as usual! I CCD'ed it and applied Clearkote Quick Shine to the hood and one panel on each side. Every other panel (6 total) was QD'ed with one of the brands listed above (I went through a pile of MF's to do this). I did not QD the tailgate. Whaddya know...It still looked great. Every panel.

Visually, I found no difference between Quick Shine and any of the QD's I used or any difference in the tailgate where I didn't QD. I must say, though, that Quick Shine is some truly slick, slick stuff. It leaves the paint feeling like silk.

I worked in the yard all day Saturday and decided to check out the RX around 6pm. There was dust on the car. I did not CCD. I hopped in and drove to town to return some DVDs. When I got to the video place I checked out my paint. The Quik Shine panels were more dust-free than the others, but not by much. I CCD'ed the tailgate and applied QS to half of it and drove home. I observed the Quick Shine side of the tailgate to be less dusty, but not by much.

Today (Sunday) everything was pretty much the same, so I did the whole RX with Quik Shine

Is it the best I've ever used? Yes...but not by much.

• It looks no better than many of the brands mentioned above.
• It does appear to leave a finish that releases dust a little more readily. (This is good, especially with a black car)
• It leaves behind a slick, silky feeling. While that may be personally gratifying, unfortunately, it's not something I want other people to realize, because I don't want them touching my paint to check it out.

http://www.clearkote.com
Old 06-24-03, 05:46 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

So D, if they are all about the same, which is the best deal; cost the least? I've recently become a believer in QD, and since the sun has finally decided to come out on the East Coast for more than a few hours at a time, I plan on snapping more pics.
Old 06-24-03, 06:36 AM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

QD is an important part of keeping you Lexus looking good. What brand you choose depends on what type of sealant/wax you use. Some of these contain a trace of Carnauba wax. While all of these products will make your paint look good, ClearKote Quick Shine just adds a little extra, especially with marginal wax.

Here's price per oz. on spray bottles. I didn't figure shipping, as I wouldn't by only QD online. It would be part of a larger order. Brands you can easily find locally have two bullets.

• Pinnacle Crystal Mist $19.95/16oz plus shipping = 1.25/oz plus shipping
• One Grand Showoff $10.75 plus shipping/16oz = .67/oz plus shipping
•• 3M Perfect-It Gloss Enhancer $7.95 plus tax/16oz = .53/oz
• Eimann Fabrik Clear Pearl $14.95 plus shipping/32oz = .47/oz plus shipping
• Clearkote Quik Shine $15.00/32oz plus shipping = .47/oz plus shipping
•• Meguiar's#34 Final Inspection $6.95 pus tax/16oz = .46/oz
•• Duragloss 921 Fast Clean and Shine $6.50 plus tax/16oz = .44/oz
•• The Wax Shop Slick Stuff $7.95 plus tax/21oz = .41/oz
•• Mothers Showtime $5.95 plus tax/16oz = .40oz
•• Meguiar's Quik Detailer $5.99 plus tax/16oz = .40oz
• Auto Magic #49 Body Shine 4.99 plus tax/16oz = .33/oz
•• Eagle One Wet Wipe 'n Shine $3.99 plus tax/19oz = .23/oz
Old 06-24-03, 06:51 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Daddy-O
What brand you choose depends on what type of sealant/wax you use. Some of these contain a trace of Carnauba wax.
One more question based on your comment. I use Klasse, a polymer. I wouldn't want to mix the two layers, correct?
Old 06-24-03, 07:28 AM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Right...For you, a non-carbauba QD is best.

These two are the best for Klasse, and made specifically for polymer sealants. I'm a carnauba guy and I've not tried them. I'm going on what Klasse users say. Only available via online ordering,

Sonus High Gloss Acrylic Spritz
http://www.properautocare.com/sonhigglosac.html
Platinum Gloss Enhancing Mist
http://www.premiumautocare.com/platulglosen.html

Locally, Meguiar's #34 Final Inspection is good, but not specifically made for acrylics. Contains no slicone or waxes.
Old 06-24-03, 09:42 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Daddy-O
Locally, Meguiar's #34 Final Inspection is good, but not specifically made for acrylics. Contains no slicone or waxes.
Ahh - that rings a bell. That's what my detailer uses (the one who applied the Klasse), and is likely perfect for me. THANKS!