Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Pics of My Ride After Claybar

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-03, 05:04 PM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by doug_999
They say if you drop it, you have to throw it out. It will pick up crap from the ground and then ruin your paint (just like you suspect). Why this doesn't occur with the contaminents in your paint, I'm just not sure.
because you dont have gravel as a contaminent in your paint.
Old 06-30-03, 06:27 PM
SergeDubovsky
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by BuyERTS
Is there any risk that the clay bar will pick up particles from dirty surfaces and actually become abrasive on the rest of the finish?
It sure can. You even don't need to drop it. If it pick up something you will scratch your paint. So be very careful, use alot of lubricant, check your clay bar _very_ often, or even better - flip it often. Don't wait until it's too late. And one more thing - don't use much pressure.
About Mothers clay bar kit - I wasn't impressed with it. I use pinnacle clay. It's much softer and, IMHO, much more effective.
Old 06-30-03, 08:03 PM
BuyERTS
Lead Lap

Originally posted by SergeDubovsky
...use alot of lubricant ... check your ... bar _very_ often, or even better - flip it often ... don't use much pressure...
Hey, are we still talking about cars here or did the subject change at some point? j/k
Old 06-30-03, 09:14 PM
LexLS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It looks like this clay bar treatment is worth a try. Excellent pics of your results
Old 07-01-03, 12:02 AM
zmatrix
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by DaveGS4
Works great on black... makes the paint feel soooo smooooth. Pic below after a recent claybar and wax with Klasse, it's a reflection of Dex's car off the side of mine.

Edit - Imbedded images don't appear to be working in this forum...
Click here for link to the gallery pic

GSQ - Moving this thread to the Detailing forum so other members can benefit from your experience with clay. Your car looks great!
man that reflection is sick!!! never seen such a nice mirror sheen off a car before. Awesome pic dave!
Old 07-03-03, 06:18 PM
pkchin
Driver

I tried the Zaino Clay , and even on a new car, you won't believe what it will pick up. Worth the time and effort.
Old 07-04-03, 05:26 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by BuyERTS
Hey, are we still talking about cars here or did the subject change at some point? j/k
ROFL!
Old 07-06-03, 07:47 PM
Deanski
Driver

Default Clay

Claying is one of the most overlooked step in getting your paint finish absolutly perfect!

If you are going to use a sealant like Zaino, make sure the lube you use does not contain wax! I use a mix of Z7 (car wash detergent) and water in a spray.

Test your finish, clean your hands well and run them over the paint. If you feel a bump, clay it. Another way, use a plastic baggie, put your hand in that and run it over the paint. It should feel like glass.

Once you've clayed, NOW you can polish the finish. If you polish W/O claying, you run the risk of the object to be trapped in your polish pad and now you have marks all over the finish!

Go over with your polish (DACP, IP, 3M FIII etc) and check your work. Then you can wax or seal it!

So many clays out there, Mothers, Zaino, Clay Magic, Meguiars, 3M etc. I also recommend using a latex glove with the clay so you do not transfer oils and any dirt from your hand.

Enjoy your new finish!

Regards,
Deanski