Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

waxing sc

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-03, 09:30 AM
KUSSEIN
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default waxing sc

How often do you guys wax your car and what brand of wax is the best?
Old 07-03-03, 02:07 PM
MedDawg
Driver School Candidate

I don't use wax, I use Zaino! http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc

It gives a really really reflective finish and adds UV protection. I put two coats on a few months ago, then one more on a month or two ago, and it's still holding up well. It's easy to put on, too.
Old 07-03-03, 03:09 PM
tfischer

Received 230 Likes on 170 Posts
Default Ab so tutely

I agree. I would never put wax on a good car like the SC430.

It has had Zaino from day one, which is easier to use than wax, lasts far longer, protects better, and looks glossier.

Do they still sell wax in the stores?????
Old 07-03-03, 03:34 PM
KUSSEIN
Driver School Candidate

thanks for all the info guys
Old 07-03-03, 03:39 PM
KUSSEIN
Driver School Candidate

MEDDAWG help is it the zain z-1 or the z-2 ????????????:
Old 07-03-03, 05:34 PM
Deanski
Driver

Default Zaino

For those with Zaino questions and comments, try this site for all your detailing needs:

THE DETAIL SITE

You'll find all the Zaino and other sealant questions and answers!

Also, Sal has released a newer version of both Z5 and Z2. The new Z5 is white in color and the new Z2 is more pink.

Go with the ZFX additive to cure it and have the ability of several coats in one day!

Remember, your finish better be swirl free, as Zaino will enhance the swirls! Better use DACP or Menzerna to get rid of them as opposed to "filler" swirl "removers" that just fill the swirl marks with oils or other products. It's best to fully remove all swirls and defects B4 using Zaino! Don't forget to use Z6 between coats!

Also, make sure it's free of wax, Dawn will strip wax and oils ( there goes the "swirl remover") B4 you use Zaino. Clay the finish, polish it, wash again, this time with normal car wash, dry and start ZFX/Z5 then Z2.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Deanski
'03 Absolutly Red brought to you by Zaino
Old 07-03-03, 07:55 PM
KUSSEIN
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

THANKS FOR THE HELP!
Old 07-03-03, 08:42 PM
Zapzu
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

Just used Zaino for the first time and I am hooked already. For my first time and as a learning curve I did my SC400. Took me about a week with the car parked in the garage the whole time.

These are the steps I took:
1. Wash with Dawn
2. Wash with Z-7 Show Car Wash
3. Z-18 Clay Bar with diluted Z-7 as lubricant
4. Wash with Z-7
5. Z-1 Polish Lok (Didn't know if I really needed this step since I was using ZFX)
6. Z-5 with ZFX
7. Z-6 Gloss Enhancer
8. Z-2 with ZFX
9. Z-6
10. Z-2 with ZFX
11. Z-6

(any suggestions from the more experienced Zainopiles about this sequence??? Did I do it right??)

I am planning on continuing with my Zaino-learning by doing my Mercedes SL500 next... and only when I am really really comfortable will I do my Neiman Marcus SC430. It goes on really easy... just takes a while with all the steps.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Last edited by Zapzu; 07-03-03 at 08:44 PM.
Old 07-04-03, 08:16 AM
tfischer

Received 230 Likes on 170 Posts
Default A week?

I don't know why that would have taken a week, unless you are taking a day off between applications of Z2.

To speed things up, I offer the following observations.

First, you are doing the right steps in the right order, except that you don't need to use Z1 if you are using ZFX with the Z5 or Z2. (As a part of the "learning curve," I suggest a careful reading of the Zaino web pages dealing with application and product description.)

The advantage of ZFX is that you can apply a second and third coat immediately, without waiting 24 hours for the product to cure. Thus, there is no reason why this could not all be done in one day, or two if you break for a beer run. Especially since the SC400 is not all that big a car.

I have done three coats on my SC430 before noon, as the only waiting time is a drying interval after application and before removal, about 20 to 30 minutes.

If the car has been used at all, I would recommend several coats of z5, followed by several coats of Z2. If the car is brand new and has not been "washed" by the lowest paid employee at the dealership (usually the head of the swirl mark and minor scratch application department), then skip the Z5. You won't need that for a year or two.

Finally, if the car is older, be sure to get the paint in as good a condition as possible before the application of any Zaino. Usually on an older car, I use a few products to remove the oxidized paint and as many of the swirl marks and light surface scratches as possible. This can be a few extra steps and can take a day all by itself, but if you don't do this, all those imperfections will be under the zaino and inaccessible later. If the paint is in bad shape, you might think of retaining the services of a professional to do this for you, as it's a lot of work and if you don't do the right things, in the right order, you will either screw it up by making the surface worse or you will not improve things at all.

I had some scratches on my hood from a cat that jumped up there and could not quite hold on, even with claws flailing every which way. I thought a paint job would be the only cure, but a nice little body shop guy was able to remove them in a few hours for $50.00.

Get the paint in good shape, and once the initial layers of zaino are on the car, you need only apply it every few months, with little time and little effort, and your car will look better than anything else on the road, except for those few cars with more layers of Z2 than are on your car.
Old 07-04-03, 12:40 PM
Zapzu
Driver School Candidate

Default uhhh... yeah.. I was in no hurry.

It only took a week because I did not get in a hurry about it. I worked on the car mostly at night when I got home from work. It was parked in a dry garage and I had other cars to use during the process. That week included a complete engine and inside detail including steam cleaning the carpets. I knew I did not NEED to use Z-1 if i was using ZFX... but I thought "what can it hurt?" since I have already have it. The use or benefit of Z-1 in addition to ZFX was NEVER specifically mentioned in any of the instruction pages. It did say that Z-1 was not necessary if you were using ZFX.

Now that I have got all the steps down I am sure I can do it much faster if I am more rushed for time.

I was really nervous about using the clay-bar for the first time. It was not difficult at all and it made the paint feel really clean and slick! I agree... clay-bar seems to be a really good thing and I will use it from now on.

Thank you for your comments!

Last edited by Zapzu; 07-04-03 at 12:52 PM.
Old 07-04-03, 12:53 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not a frquenter of this particular section, but why should wax never be used.
I have the Maguire's 3 step stuff
1-clean
2-polish
3wax

What about this stuff?
Old 07-04-03, 01:31 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's nothing wrong with your selections, tggoodrich. Meguiar's makes fine products.

If you like the results, then it works for you. Some people like Zaino Bros products, and for them it works. I use other products and find that they are the best for me. If you like it, then it's a good thing.

There are advantages and disadvantages to any car care system, and I'll put my finish against any other out there, regardless of the marque or the products used, and I guarantee people will nod in approval at my paint. Whip out 500W-1000W halogen lamps and all will see what someone's finish really looks like. Halogens provide the true meaning of "optical clarity".

Some believe that a beautiful automobile finish is not all about the products used. It's the preparation, process and technique that is more important. Like Henry Glover of the King Records R&B group The Swallows wrote in 1952, "It ain't the meat, it's the motion".
Old 07-05-03, 04:18 AM
Deanski
Driver

Default Zaino or Wax

I agree that the majority of the problems stems from poor prep! No matter what you use for your finish, you MUST get the finish as clean and swirl-free as possible.

Some people use Megs's DACP, some use 3M FIII, or Menzerna as a polish to remove all defects.

The best first step is to get aquainted with clay and how to use it to remove surface defects B4 polishing.

When it finally comes to wax or other products, It's a matter of what you can get your hands on, what you have used with good results or the next step of trying something new.

Megs makes the best paint prep product and do make great wax more so in the Pro line than consumer line. Nothing wrong with it at all!

More of us just discover other products, try it and some like it, some don't. It's all up to what you feel comfortable with and how much time you have.

"If the car is brand new and has not been "washed" by the lowest paid employee at the dealership (usually the head of the swirl mark and minor scratch application department)" SO TRUE!!! Trust only yourself on washing! Drying is also an area where scratches show up. A good MF waffel towel works, and I use a combo of Calf. Water Blade AND MF waffel towel followed by regular MF towel.

Enjoy the "ART" of deatiling

Regards,
Deanski