Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Prospective DA tool purchase... should I even bother?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-18, 12:37 PM
RageRacerM
Advanced

Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts
Default Prospective DA tool purchase... should I even bother?

So I can do everything minus paint correction on my car (and jus fyi i follow the 2 bucket method, handwash, etc...) I read through a lot of forums, and basically concluded the Griot's DA tool is a good entry choice if I were to pursue doing this.

My fear is that I'm going to mess up the paint/clearcoat. I've been perfectly okay with using sealant and wax to cover up the light scratches, but feel that I should at least polish the car once a year.

Are my fears of burning through clear coat over blown? The paint is really thin from what I've read, and certainly from what I've experienced just from regular daily driving.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks everyone
Old 03-04-18, 05:50 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

With a DA your fears are blown out of proportion. DA is the safest options of all the machines on the market. Take it slow, work 1 panel at a time and you'll be fine. Start off with the least aggressive polish you can find and slowly get more aggressive. This will act as insurance against your fears of burning the paint and it'll help you understand how each type of paint will react to the level of cut. There are plenty of videos and threads online for you to learn how to use the machine.

IMO, the most common mistake beginners make is that they don't have enough pads or they don't clean their pads often enough.
The following users liked this post:
RageRacerM (03-04-18)
Old 03-04-18, 06:45 PM
loanshark
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

As previously said, with a dual action, it would be VERY hard to damage your paint. If you don't know what you are doing, using a rotary can easily cause damage if you're not careful. Using a DA is a safe & easy way to go. I started with a Porter Cable 7424XP but I just switched over to a Griot's Garage DA. The weather here hasn't been dry enough to try it out, but I'm hoping to use it next weekend. You'll be fine! Check out "ammonyc" on Youtube, he's a great resource for anything detailing related.
The following users liked this post:
RageRacerM (03-04-18)
Old 03-05-18, 05:50 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by loanshark
As previously said, with a dual action, it would be VERY hard to damage your paint. If you don't know what you are doing, using a rotary can easily cause damage if you're not careful. Using a DA is a safe & easy way to go. I started with a Porter Cable 7424XP but I just switched over to a Griot's Garage DA. The weather here hasn't been dry enough to try it out, but I'm hoping to use it next weekend. You'll be fine! Check out "ammonyc" on Youtube, he's a great resource for anything detailing related.
i also have the 7424 and have had it for many many years, works well, and any da is safe with some common sense.
what was the reason to switch from the PC7424 ?? thanks
Old 03-05-18, 06:05 AM
GSRockstar
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

My first time i used way too much polish
Old 03-05-18, 10:17 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

There is really nothing to fear with a DA, I got one 10 years ago and never had experience with one and I never had any issues with burning through clearcoat or damaging paint. DA's are very safe, only problem with that safety is you have to work slow, go over areas a few times and press down which is much more time consuming then a rotary but much safer. Just watch some youtube videos and ask around, they are easy to use and really critical for a best possible finish.
Old 03-05-18, 01:30 PM
loanshark
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JSracer
i also have the 7424 and have had it for many many years, works well, and any da is safe with some common sense.
what was the reason to switch from the PC7424 ?? thanks
The Porter Cable finally died on me after several years and many hours of use. I went with the Griots due to newer technology and more power.
Old 03-05-18, 01:34 PM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by loanshark
The Porter Cable finally died on me after several years and many hours of use. I went with the Griots due to newer technology and more power.
Makes sense, thanks
Is it worth the upgrade if my PC is still going strong ? I only use it a few times a year for personal use
Old 03-05-18, 01:40 PM
loanshark
Driver School Candidate

The weather hasn't been nice enough to use the Griots yet, so I don't have any comparisons with the two machines.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say no, unless you have a burning hole in your pocket. If you only use it a few times a year it doesn't make financial sense to do so. It's a few hundred dollars saved for mods or maintenance.
Old 03-15-18, 05:44 PM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Get one and you'll never look back, Fun, easy to use, almost impossible to ruin your paint unless you drop the machine on your car.

Like others said, use lots of pads, check out which pads you want to use for your desired results. Have fun!
Old 03-21-18, 12:29 AM
b2884987
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I started detailing I went all out and bought FLEX XC 3401 VRG Dual Action Polisher. Best detailing weapon ever from Germany. I still use it to detail my car every month or so.
Old 04-13-18, 02:25 PM
DiabloX22
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Go with a Griots a lot of people have their opinions, but they also are not aware that Griots are LIFETIME GUARANTEED! I had my 6 inch and 3 inch swapped out, sent me the return label also. You can't beat that compared to anything!