Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Dumpster 1, Lexus 0

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-03, 11:47 AM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dumpster 1, Lexus 0

Well, I'm not sure if I should put this here or in the detailing section but here goes.

I went to a Lansing Lugnuts game and parked my car in the shade. When I had to leave early I came out and my car was parked in. I thought I could make it out, and eventually did with the help of a spotter, but I first tried it alone and a f’ing dumpster bit me.

What can I do at home to try and fix this before breaking down and getting it painted?
Attached Thumbnails Dumpster 1, Lexus 0-dumpster-copy.jpg  
Old 07-05-03, 11:54 AM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

i have seen some detailers get out some pretty bad scrapes and scratches...that would be my first move if not you may have to get it repainted...

CEO
Old 07-05-03, 11:56 AM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Originally posted by THE_CEO
i have seen some detailers get out some pretty bad scrapes and scratches...that would be my first move if not you may have to get it repainted...

CEO
Do you have anybody you would recommend? I don't know anybody reputable around me...
Old 07-05-03, 12:15 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it's just a paint scuff on top of your paint, try:

Dupont PrepSol (Solvent Cleaner)

Meguiar's ScratchX
3M Swirl Mark Remover 39009
3M Perfect-it II Fine Cut Rubbing Compound 39002

If the dumpster removed your paint and replaced it with its own, it's time for a repaint.

Good luck
Old 07-05-03, 12:21 PM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Lightbulb

Ah Daddy-O, I knew you would come to the rescue! I’m pretty bad when it comes to this stuff so the more details you can give me the better. Out of your list of products I only have the Meguiar’s ScratchX. I also have some detailer’s clay and a cheap orbital buffer, but I don’t want to make things worse.

1) Could you tell me what I should buy for this and other jobs?
2) Could you list the materials needed and steps involved to properly fix this, i.e. cloth or MF towles?

TIA,
Wolff

Last edited by Overclocker; 07-05-03 at 12:43 PM.
Old 07-05-03, 12:52 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

Hey there Clocker!

My less detailed method for a scrape i had on my Sebring was to buff with paint thinner and go back with meguire's paint cleaner wax. worked fine. Daddy-o definately has the better option for a full detailing. if you just want to give it a whirl quickly, it only took me 5 minutes with the buffer my way and worked perfectly. For quick results just buff with paint thinner and then follow with Meg. paint cleaner.

I'd eventually do it daddy-o's way after you know it will come out.

Last edited by O. L. T.; 07-05-03 at 12:53 PM.
Old 07-05-03, 02:14 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

i took my car when i first got it...so these guys in sylvan lake...near the corner of cass lake and orchard lake...they are kinda expensive..220.00 for inside and out..but the guys do some incredible stuff..they do all of the basketball players cars...and boats...i didnt even reconize my car when they gave it to me it was sick what they did to the inside..ahh i found the reciept...its called Detail Express..248-683-8885....PM me if you need more info...sorry to hear about the ride...well get you back in shape..

CEO
Old 07-05-03, 08:25 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't tell if your plastic is cut or not. It looks like a paint transfer only ontil you get to the bottom and those look like gouges. If the bumper is cut, you're doomed to body work, but atleast you can clean it up some.

You have ScratchX, so give that a try on a clean cotton cloth, towel, or rag. That may clean it all off. If not, try Prep Sol or mineral spirits. These solvents may loosen up the dumpster paint. The other products I mentioned, 3M Swirl Mark Remover 39009 and 3M Perfect-it II Fine Cut Rubbing Compound 39002 are more abrasive/aggressive.

If you can find it, Meguiar's Medallion Premium Paint Cleaner is great stuff. I used it all the time.
Solvent rich, it's cleaned through stuff I gave up on with other products.

Have a pro look at it...that should be free.

Good luck
Old 07-05-03, 09:52 PM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Smile

Hey Daddy-O and the others that posted, thanks! I was feeling kinda down that I did such a stupid thing to my car, but now there is light at the end of the tunnel.
Old 07-06-03, 01:55 PM
Toysrme
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aggreed. Unless it's just very bad camera tricks, it loks like a paint transfer, allthough I'd expect your clearcoat and top layers of paint are damaged under that.

The bumpers are a blackish/grayish plastic. So I think if you get the white off you can live with the under damage. (Just wax it regularly to keep it from getting worse)

Don't feel bad. I parked my Corolla one time for 10 min, came back outside and the ENTIRE left rear quarter panel was bashed in, taillights spewed accross the ground.

It happens. Worst case is you have a good bodyshop take some paint off and do a good job rematching the paint in that area for >$500.

I know it costs $1000-$1200 to repair every quarterpanel on a car roughly. I lost 3 on that '93 corolla, hell half the car was brand new after a friend and two random people took out two quarters and the driver door...

Look at it this way. If it bugs you enough to fix that particula bumper, you can simply life with waxing it to keep bad things from happining and save up some more money and have the entire car painted any color you wwant! =)