Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Detail on top of Dealer Detail

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-18, 08:59 AM
Aleximus
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Detail on top of Dealer Detail

Hello all, so basically I paid my local dealer $150 to have their detailers go to town on my car with a "Presidential Detail". To cut to the chase, the end result was meh.
I then went home, and pulled from stock a Meguiar quick detailer, Meguiar leather cleaner, Mothers back to black, Mothers Leather conditioner, new microfiber rags, a dusting paint brush, and six ice cold adult baby bottles, and in a handful of hours blew the dealer's interior detail work out of the water.
On the other hand there is the outside of the vehicle and since it was waxed at the dealer, would I mess anything up or strip anything if I redo the entire car's body panels with a clay bar and one of those bottles of rinse-less wash sprayers?
Would I need to redo the wax job?
What do you recommend is the best approach to redo the outside detail?
Old 04-03-18, 09:33 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Aleximus
Hello all, so basically I paid my local dealer $150 to have their detailers go to town on my car with a "Presidential Detail". To cut to the chase, the end result was meh.
I then went home, and pulled from stock a Meguiar quick detailer, Meguiar leather cleaner, Mothers back to black, Mothers Leather conditioner, new microfiber rags, a dusting paint brush, and six ice cold adult baby bottles, and in a handful of hours blew the dealer's interior detail work out of the water.
On the other hand there is the outside of the vehicle and since it was waxed at the dealer, would I mess anything up or strip anything if I redo the entire car's body panels with a clay bar and one of those bottles of rinse-less wash sprayers?
Would I need to redo the wax job?
What do you recommend is the best approach to redo the outside detail?
You are not going to get a good detail for $150, at least exterior wise, they are not going to properly polish your car for $150 because it takes so long to polish a car correctly and it is a thorough process, if they claim they polish your car they most likely just ran a rotary polisher quickly over your paint to get out as many scratches and water spots as they could and they probably left a lot of buffer trails in the process.

You need to remove the wax before claying, you can do that by washing the car with dawn or a more aggressive grease fighting soap/wash or you can use rubbing alcohol and water. When you clay you will end up leaving scratches and swirls, depends on how bad your paint is before claying so after claying your car will then need to be polished and then need to be waxed again.

My recommendation is if you are not happy with the detail.
Remove wax on the car with dawn, more aggressive soap, rubbing alcohol.
Clay, remember you need to use a lubricant when you clay your finish.
Wash car
Polish your car, if you have a PC do a regular polish with a orange pad, then finishing polish with a blue pad/white pad.
Wash car
Add a sealant as they last longer
Old 04-03-18, 09:47 AM
Aleximus
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the guidance UDel. I would need to acquire a buffer machine and load up on detailing knowledge and products to acquire and use. In the interim, I'll start washing the vehicle with Dawn to start removing whatever wax the dealer detailer smeared around the body panels and called it done.

The other option of to pay $500 to a detailing shop across town and hope for the best.

Last edited by Aleximus; 04-03-18 at 09:50 AM.
Old 04-03-18, 03:48 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aleximus
Thanks for the guidance UDel. I would need to acquire a buffer machine and load up on detailing knowledge and products to acquire and use. In the interim, I'll start washing the vehicle with Dawn to start removing whatever wax the dealer detailer smeared around the body panels and called it done.

The other option of to pay $500 to a detailing shop across town and hope for the best.
I would just leave the wax on the car until you have all the supplies and are about to detail it and then remove the wax that is on there unless you want to get a head start on claying it right away but word of warning, claying is going to leave more swirls/scratches on your finish then what you already have, that is why you need a polisher to fix everything once you are done claying.
Old 04-03-18, 07:11 PM
Aleximus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by UDel
I would just leave the wax on the car until you have all the supplies and are about to detail it and then remove the wax that is on there unless you want to get a head start on claying it right away but word of warning, claying is going to leave more swirls/scratches on your finish then what you already have, that is why you need a polisher to fix everything once you are done claying.

Roger that. I’ won’t mess with the body until I know what I’m doing and get all the required tools and products.
Old 04-04-18, 05:14 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

If a guy tell you he will correct your paint for $150 he's either A. lying or B. an idiot.
Old 04-05-18, 06:59 AM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 190 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
If a guy tell you he will correct your paint for $150 he's either A. lying or B. an idiot.
I detail cars for a living and I would charge $300 just to do the exterior of an LS430, then another $300 for interior.
Old 04-05-18, 09:26 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 05ls430518
I detail cars for a living and I would charge $300 just to do the exterior of an LS430, then another $300 for interior.
I do it on the side and that is about what I normally charge for sedans and that is pretty low considering all the work, many people balk at that price and I often have to explain the process and how time consuming it is and how it is the only way to get those swirls, scratches, and deep water spots out of their finish.

There is no way you are getting a proper polish/correction for $150, those "specials" are a joke.
Old 04-05-18, 09:14 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Claying a car properly will not induce swirls in the paint. If you use a good quick detailer for lubricity, or even car wash soap and an over the counter mild clay you buy at a car parts store, as long as you're careful not to drop the clay, etc you won't swirl or scratch the car.

I've clayed my cars many times and never swirled or scratched them. If you're using super aggressive professional grades of clay, then maybe.

Also no need to remove the wax before you clay. The clay will likely do most of that anyways, and if you're just going to use a wax afterwards just wax away.

The issue is going to be that once you remove the glaze/wax from the paint you are likely to find that the swirls and scratches are still there, just covered up by the dealer's "detail".

A proper full compound and polish job on a car the size of the LS could well reach $1,000.
Old 04-05-18, 10:50 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Originally Posted by UDel
I do it on the side and that is about what I normally charge for sedans and that is pretty low considering all the work, many people balk at that price and I often have to explain the process and how time consuming it is and how it is the only way to get those swirls, scratches, and deep water spots out of their finish.

There is no way you are getting a proper polish/correction for $150, those "specials" are a joke.
I also have additional services as well I rejuvenate seat foam with steam remove wrinkles for $200-$400. Sand down headlights and respray them with a oem style uv resistant gel coat thats another $150, there is different stuff that add up, I do it by myself unless its my brother cause he knows my name is at stake if there is a sloppy job.

People buy a $80,000 car then ***** about a $600-$800 detail, there reply is "I could bring it to hoffmans car wash and get it done for $45"....this mentally truly baffles me, my response to them is you are more than welcome to.

What do you use to scrub leather seats? I use a badger hair brush that come with shaving kits.

If anyone charges you less than $200 to repair exterior panels that have been keyed they have no idea what they are doing, you cant buff out key marks you have to using glazing putting and stuff its very time consuming.

Last edited by 05ls430518; 04-05-18 at 10:58 PM.
Old 04-05-18, 11:01 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Claying a car properly will not induce swirls in the paint. If you use a good quick detailer for lubricity, or even car wash soap and an over the counter mild clay you buy at a car parts store, as long as you're careful not to drop the clay, etc you won't swirl or scratch the car.

I've clayed my cars many times and never swirled or scratched them. If you're using super aggressive professional grades of clay, then maybe.

Also no need to remove the wax before you clay. The clay will likely do most of that anyways, and if you're just going to use a wax afterwards just wax away.

The issue is going to be that once you remove the glaze/wax from the paint you are likely to find that the swirls and scratches are still there, just covered up by the dealer's "detail".

A proper full compound and polish job on a car the size of the LS could well reach $1,000.
The main reason people get swirls from clay bars is they dont go side to side they go up and down or go in circular motions.
Old 04-06-18, 05:15 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 551 Likes on 400 Posts

Totally agree! I do correction every fall on my RX & GS, both metallic black. I've never stripped wax prior to correction. I figure the clay and compounds will remove what little bit of wax is left on the surface. I'm sure theres no wax left on the surface anyway after a year. 10 years ago I would've never have owned a black car. I think product has come a long way since then. Gonna dive into Ceramic for the first time this season and totally dreading it just because it's not really wax on wax off. I'm so burnt out after doing correction that Ceramic will just be more labor but it has to be done.
Old 04-06-18, 05:41 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

I’m going to do the same thing. Look into 22ple ceramic coatings. They’re as close to wax on wax off as coatings go from what I’ve read and people I’ve talked to.

Im going to use 22ple HPC on mine.
Old 04-06-18, 09:26 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

On soft clears like Lexus or Acura, yes you will swirl/scratch your paint if you clay and there were contaminants you were removing with the clay. They may not be very visible but if you take a bright light and look at the finish after claying you will see them. You should remove the wax or sealant before you clay because they can build up and contaminate the clay and make it not as effective just like before you polish as wax/sealant builds up on pads and makes them less effective plus it effects your results and you can have issues finishing down, plus stronger sealants and some wax's are very difficult to remove with claying alone.

Last edited by UDel; 04-06-18 at 09:45 AM.
Old 04-06-18, 09:28 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

It really depends on how soft the paint is. I've had over the counter clay bars swirl paint jobs before, but they were on incredibly soft aftermarket paints.

Originally Posted by charley95
Totally agree! I do correction every fall on my RX & GS, both metallic black. I've never stripped wax prior to correction. I figure the clay and compounds will remove what little bit of wax is left on the surface. I'm sure theres no wax left on the surface anyway after a year. 10 years ago I would've never have owned a black car. I think product has come a long way since then. Gonna dive into Ceramic for the first time this season and totally dreading it just because it's not really wax on wax off. I'm so burnt out after doing correction that Ceramic will just be more labor but it has to be done.
Ceramic coatings are literally wipe on wipe off. The difference is they have a limited working time and are very unforgiving if you don't wipe them off in time. Have a lot of light available to see the spots you missed, clean towels, and watch your hands since there will be residue on your gloves.

Quick Reply: Detail on top of Dealer Detail